Do you use passports/passport cards or birth certificates

CarenM

All of us have passports. Easiest way to travel by sea or by air. We did ours in stages. So everyone is due at different times so we do not have to come up with the $$$ all at once.

It is a personal choice. I like the fact that they can't say it is not an original or from vital statistics.

You have to do what you think is best for your family and for your budget.

Good luck.

It is so much faster and easier to have a passport... I would be paranoid that I would lose my BC and that would be so much harder to replace. I know they are expensive to get one initially, but then it is good for 10 years! Like one of the other posters said though, do what is good for you and your family's budget. :o

We originally used BC's but have since moved on to passports. I like the freedom that they provide even though I've never actually needed it. When we cruised out of Galveston last May, there was a passport line and a BC line for going through customs. I wouldn't be suprised if there were still some people in the BC line. It was loooooooooooooonnnnnnngggggggg.

Passports. Just renewed DD's this year.

It does make things easier if there is a problem.

Couple years back we were flying out of DAY to FL, our plane got delayed due to "mechanical" problems (which we later found out was an exterior light). There was a group of women that became really frustrated that they might not get out in time to catch their cruise and couldn't let the airline book them through to their first port because not all had their passports.

It is so much faster and easier to have a passport... I would be paranoid that I would lose my BC and that would be so much harder to replace. I know they are expensive to get one initially, but then it is good for 10 years! Like one of the other posters said though, do what is good for you and your family's budget. :o

I just ordered another copy of my BC from NY and it isn't hard at all.

OP, we've traveled twice with birth certs/IDs. For the upcoming cruise we will be getting DW an Enhanced Drivers License, which is an option for us. I want to get her that so we don't have to take her Naturalization Certificate, which if lost would be pricey to replace ($400 or so). The EDL is a little less expensive than a passport card and does the same things. Of course we can't miss the ship or have to fly back but the odds of that are small for us. (I will probably get an Enhanced License, too, if NY gets me the aforementioned birth cert in time.)

Got the passports when just walking across the border was easier. The passport line moved quickly. It has been useful as an ID to renew my govt work ID as we'll when they moved to enhanced ID's.

If you are only traveling once, maybe it isn't worth it, but if there are lots of future opportunities, go for it.

Had passports since I was 13-14. I'm in my (almost) mid 50s.

Whatever works for you, but passport book is the best insurance for international travel. You can't fly from or home without it. No excuses, no begging will get you on a plane for international travel without a valid passport.

BC and DL for us. 9 cruises over past 11 years mean a savings of over $1000 in passport costs that we did not need ever. You have to assess the risk and be your own judge. IMHO the risk is extremely small compared to the cost of getting passports, so we are willing to take the risk. Others feel differently. I have never seen anyone with passports move through the lines any faster than we have with our BC and DL.

Passports for us too. I can remember when fewer people had them and it was quicker to get through the airport with a passport. I also remember having to go to the aid of a family member in another country when passports weren't needed....Thank God ,because at that time no one in our family had them. Now, with elderly parents, I want to be able to go home with no delays if I have too. Whatever you chose for your family, I wish you blue skies and safe sails.

Passports for us too. I can remember when fewer people had them and it was quicker to get through the airport with a passport. I also remember having to go to the aid of a family member in another country when passports weren't needed....Thank God ,because at that time no one in our family had them. Now, with elderly parents, I want to be able to go home with no delays if I have too. Whatever you chose for your family, I wish you blue skies and safe sails.

Good point. We went last week to get passports. Since we are sailing from San Juan, I figured it best to get the book. My Dad had to renew his for a different cruise. We chose the passport book for him rather than the card. The lady that helped us suggested, at 91, if something happens, God forbid and you have to fly out of an island/foreign country, the regular passport would be worth every penny.

~Bob~

How about for kids???

Let's put it this way - if the adults have passports, why wouldn't you have them for the kids? If you run into an emergency and need to get home quickly, not having them for your children will only delay your return. I guess if you are talking about taking kids on a once in a lifetime trip, then perhaps you might want to pass on the extra cost. But, if you plan on taking your children on annual cruises, then a passport is the only way to go, IMHO.

Passports for us. Don't have to worry about any complications, no matter how ïnsignificant that might seem. Also opens the whole world to travel, not just to some beaches. I'm 65, husband is 71, each of us has had passports since our teens.

How about for kids???

We have them too. They might go on our British Isle cruise so if I book them at the last minute, they can go.

They have had them since they were 6. Just renewed the 16 yr old and it is good for 10yrs.

So totally up to you. God forbids something happens and you have to fly home, you would have to go to the embassy as you have to have a passport to fly in from a non US country.

Archived