December cruise- too cold on Lido to lay out??

aka-texas

We are considering a short cruise in December (before Christmas) from Galveston to Coz and wondering how cool/cold it is on deck going down. I realize it is warm once in Cozumel, but is it too cold to lay out on Lido deck while at sea?

It was 'coolish' when I went to Coz out of Tampa a couple of years ago in March...but not too bad. It was actually worse on the return trip because the farther we got away from Cozumel, the cooler it got...so the first sea day might be nice, but the return trip could be less warm...

We cruise a lot out of Galveston in January, so don't plan on laying out on the upper deck the first sea day out and the last sea day back...Jan. 2011 on the Conquest it was 47 when we sailed so if the temps drop when you sail its gonna be cool...Also thats about when the fog starts to develop out in the gulf...Dennis

We sailed this past Christmas on the Elation out of New Orleans to Cozumel. We had thunderstorms while driving to the port to embark but it cleared up by the time we boarded. It was very cool standing at the bow during sail away. The next sea day was sunny and they had plenty of people in the pool and hot tubs. Cozumel was sunny and very nice. We all wore shorts or swim suits except for embarking and debarking. It was raining again when we debarked in New Orleans. It makes you want to hide away on the ship and go back to the sunny beaches of Cozumel. :)

we often take a pre Christmas week cruise every year with our older kids (when we can manage to get most of them togeather). week before Christmas 2010 was FREEZING , we left Miami , went to Key West (record cold temps for Key West) then to Cozumel, it was great warm weather there!!! Breezy comfortable and the rest of the trip was lay out weather!

We live in Florida and have never experienced it that cold before!!! It was soooo cold in Key West we had to cancel our jet sking tour we had booked. But bundled up at Irish Kevins was still alot of fun, waiting on the line to go back on the ship.......not much fun LOL!!! But funny!!!

Now, every other year that we have gone on or around that same week...it has been balmy , warm great laying out swimming weather! So, ya take your chances I guess! Still had a BLAST!!!

We cruie out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale in Feb each year and guessing weather is similar.

Can wear swimwear the first sea day usually.

Miami is way further south the Galveston or New Orleans. Miami is a lot warmer in the winter.

We went on our honeymoon in jan. 2010 and we found it to be very warm. Even when we were in Galveston still docked. We did lay out, and I think we even laid out on serenity after dinner one night. It wasn't blistering hot, but coming from illinois it felt plenty warm to us!

well, as you can see by the replies, the correct answer is...

... it depends :confused:

I have made winter cruises out of Galveston a lot, and MOST of the time sitting by the pool is pleasant and nice. But it is winter, and it can vary..

I am on the December 13th Triumph sailing, and I plan to be out by the pool. :)

I was very cold for my December 2010 cruise, and it was very windy the entire time, causing us to miss a port. When we went back in December 2005, it was perfect weather (except the first day, leaving Florida).

I remember it well, cold, cold, cold.It was disappointing, but I felt worse for the next group to board as it was colder (especially cold when you are used to Florida weather)

I normally have bad luck in winter cruises. It always seems that a Artic cold front goes through Atlanta a couple days before my cruise and by time i get on ship its past Miami or where I cruise from. Then its allot colder then i like I say of sailing due to stiff North winds behind the front.

One year I drove to miami for a cruise in Dec and was ahead of schedule, so i decided to sleep in the car at one of the rest stops 40 miles north of FLL on turnpike. It was down in low 30s when woke up. By the time sailaway was from miami, it was upper 40s.. It was in the teens in Atlanta.

Seems like artic weather fronts follow me on cruises.. 50% of time.. So Prepare to "bundle" up if any of you are taking same cruise as me Nov 25th..:rolleyes::D

Actually some of the people on my cruise are from Michigan and Canada, I think they like bringing there weather with them on cruise ... Mabie to keep there drinks "cold" and keep the CHOGS away??

I guess it depends on the person. We sailed around that time and it gets a bit windy on the deck so if you get a chair away from the wind its not too bad. When we got to port we went to the beach. Din't go in the water but the beach was nice

I was on the Triumph out of New Orleans just after New Years and the weather was quite cool on the first and last days. We tested the "hot" tubs on the first night, with an air temperature on deck in the low-mid 50's. Everyone that was brave enough to joined us huddled in the warmer of the two hot tubs, which was barely above pool water temperature, and froze as we got out to go back to our cabins. By the next afternoon, it was warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt on deck, but I wouldn't recommend a bathing suit as the breeze was still a little chilly. Cozumel and Progreso were both quite warm (mid-upper 80's). The last day at sea returning to New Orleans started warm in the late morning, but by dinner time, it was back to jeans weather.

Come prepared to experience everything from jacket weather to sweltering heat (at least in Progreso) if you choose to take this cruise in December.

Try to do what i do.. Book late fall and winter cruises out of Miami/ FLL or Tampa, any other time of year your good in most gulf and North fla ports. That way you dont waste the first and last day with cold weather. Most of time it works out for me.. LOL.

My last December cruise, the first sea day (Day 2) was nice & warm, and I swam and went on the slide. Even embarkation day was pretty warm. The last sea day coming back, we had a front that we were passing, and it was cloudy and cool. I still laid out in the sun, but too cold for the water.

I remember it well, cold, cold, cold.It was disappointing, but I felt worse for the next group to board as it was colder (especially cold when you are used to Florida weather)

Yeah, we are on the GA/FL border, so we're very used to the suffocating, humid weather. Were you on the same cruise? It was just surprising for me because there's pics of me sitting on deck wrapped in a towel.. never got in the pool, never saw a beach. Laid out one time in my bathing suit.. and shivered the whole time. Also, the pic of me standing in front of the ship at Port Canaveral, I was wearing jeans, boots, and a long sleeve shirt. Just a peculiar cruise for me..

Thanks for all the replies. It was kinda what I was expecting. We were trying to get the whole family together and the kids( well 20's) would want to be out by the pool on the sea days. Since the majority of the trip (4 day with one stop in Coz) was sea days, they wanted to know. I think we will probably try for warmer weather.

Archived