Using I Pads on Princess

wilkij

This might true for one with a cell plan. The ones I've seen that have cell plans roam just like the cell phones. If the IPad doesn't have a cell plan or if it isn't configured for one, it will pick up WIFI anywhere.

IPads that have a data plan from US carriers will not roam either on a cruise ship or another country outside the US.

If you have the AT&T iPad you have an option buy an optional international data plan. That is for a set amount of data so when you reach that amount you won't get an overage. Just a message to buy more data.

The iPad cell plans are totally different animals than iPhone cell plans. You don't even have a contract.

The unannounced new iPad (tentatively release date is October) is suppose to be a 7" version of the full sized New iPad. That makes it roughly the same size as mini-tablets like the Barnes and Noble Nook, Kendle Fire and Nexus 7 from Google. The new iPhone 5 is suppose to be announced on September 12th (sales start the same day) and in stores by the 21st.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57436779-37/apple-ipad-mini-the-ultimate-rumor-roundup/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20073431-233/iphone-5-rumor-roundup/

As for taking a computer/iPhone on a ship, last year I took my 10" Toshiba Netbook and iPhone 3GS and they worked brilliantly. On the spur of the moment I decided to make the cruise a 'LIVE From' report and used the computer/iPhone to compose updates before logging into the ships network, downloaded pictures from my camera to the Netbook 'just in case', and used the Tapatalk app to take pictures and download them to Cruise Critic.

I plan on taking my Netbook and new iPhone 5 (when it arrives ;)) on the Ruby Princess in December. I'm sure they will both fit nicely in the safe just fine since I plan on spending more time enjoying the ship instead of doing another LIVE blog.

I just purchased an iPad 2. Is there an app for the iPad that allows me to compose email messages and send them once I log into the ships WiFi?

It's part of the normal app for mail. Just compose your email as normal. Then choose "cancel". It will prompt you to either save the draft or delete it. Save your draft. Then when you are online, in the upper left choose mailboxes. From the the choices, select "drafts". Then for each draft email in your box, select send.

To read your emails go back to your inbox. Try it out at home first.

It's part of the normal app for mail. Just compose your email as normal. Then choose "cancel". It will prompt you to either save the draft or delete it. Save your draft. Then when you are online, in the upper left choose mailboxes. From the the choices, select "drafts". Then for each draft email in your box, select send.

To read your emails go back to your inbox. Try it out at home first.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

Apparently the new iPhone 5 is going to have a new/different plug for charging so you will need a cord for each device which is a pain.

The nexus 7 is an android machine so you aren't restricted to iTunes.It has a 7 inch (diagonal) screen.

Either Apple or someone will have to have an adapter available immediately. Otherwise, many millions of docks, radios, stereos, car audio systems, etc. would be useless.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab that's nice and I've brought it on several cruises. However, I guess I'm just an Apple fan and I think I've used it maybe twice total on cruises. I find that I use my iPhone pretty much all the time.

Either Apple or someone will have to have an adapter available immediately. Otherwise, many millions of docks, radios, stereos, car audio systems, etc. would be useless.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57478091-37/new-iphone-plug-theres-an-adapter-for-that-says-report/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57478345-48/new-iphone-connector-threatens-car-compatibility/

I just purchased an iPad 2. Is there an app for the iPad that allows me to compose email messages and send them once I log into the ships WiFi?

On my iPhone I just use the NOTES app that's pre-installed. Once done it gives you the option at the bottom to email it, or you can just manually cut and paste it into Tapatalk when you log in to save time on the ships internet. Be careful if you email it as the entire text in the body of the email will show up in the SUBJECT line of that email so you have to erase it and substitute it with your own subject line. Just tap on the SUBJECT line and hit SELECT ALL, then hit the backspace button and it all erases. Easier than it sounds... ;)

Thanks. I figured they'd have to do that. I also figure I could re-use my Apple wall plug as my cables have a USB end that goes into it.

Archived