BREAKAWAY - Peter Max design revealed!!!

tokidoki

Thanks for sharing!!

All I can say is, yikes!! :eek: All its missing is the yellow submarine

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is getting a bit out of hand. I'd rather have a beautiful, elegant white ship.

I am with you. First word that came to mind was Graffiti....I don't like it at all.

Thanks for sharing!!

All I can say is, yikes!! :eek: All its missing is the yellow submarine

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is getting a bit out of hand. I'd rather have a beautiful, elegant white ship.

Obviously this painted is not overly familiar with the old saying that sometimes "less is more"

I'm surprised at how surprised everyone is! Since they announced the bow art was to be by Peter Max, this is typical of his work. The Lady Liberty is one of his favorite topics and the original sells for $70,000. He is known to be one of the New York artists and paints New York City representative art. He likes to paint planets and the New York skyline prints (copies) go for about $8,000. NCL knew exactly what they were asking for when they selected him to paint the bow. Once your on the ship, you can't see it!!!

I'm not a fan of his for sure, but I certainly expected the bow art to look something like this.

I'm surprised at how surprised everyone is! Since they announced the bow art was to be by Peter Max, this is typical of his work. The Lady Liberty is one of his favorite topics and the original sells for $70,000. He is known to be one of the New York artists and paints New York City representative art. He likes to paint planets and the New York skyline prints (copies) go for about $8,000. NCL knew exactly what they were asking for when they selected him to paint the bow. Once your on the ship, you can't see it!!!

I'm not a fan of his for sure, but I certainly expected the bow art to look something like this.

I think NCL is great for thinking outside the box with Freestyle and all but I am not sure this is a plus. As another poster had said, I did not hear of this artist before the Breakaway either. I am not a fan. I don't think it makes the ship look appealing.

Seems like 15 minutes work with a pair of scissors and a few magazines. Not really an appropriate representation of NCL; seems more like self-aggrandizing on Peter Max's part.

I don't think this is a good fit for NCL's brand image, frankly. I hope they'll go back to the drawing board with more guidance to the artist, if not a different artist.

I agree Mike. Some hull art is fine but this looks like a mural on a garage wall in the Bronx rather than a new state of the art ship.

Now I can say the only thing worse than its name is its hull art.

The floating head of the statue of liberty is the worst :(

I agree with you. :(

As another poster had said, I did not hear of this artist before the Breakaway either. I am not a fan. I don't think it makes the ship look appealing.

Peter Max is one of the great contemporary artists of the past 50 years. Now, I wouldn't expect everybody to know who he is by name, however, when a work of his is shown, most everyone will recognize the style and can immediately relate to it.

If you are a baby boomer, lived through/around the days of the Beatles, I'd find it extremely hard to believe you've never seen any of his work. Knowing Peter Max by name - that's a different issue.

Maybe you like it, maybe you don't, but people have fallen on both sides of the fence with Epic, Breakaway, and now this. It will pass, and more likely than not, in time, it will catch on.

We have airlines that paint their planes with special themes in mind. In general, NCL has done better than the others with hull "art" instead of just the name of the ship. I don't think this is one of Peter's better works, but, there were probably other considerations to keep in mind. Like the rest of the ship, it will need repainting/upkeep so it probably couldn't be too intricate/complex to make it easy to maintain.

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's not boring, it's different, and it definitely says New York.

Howard

Nice, not only is this Cruise Critic, but Artist Critic as well. Credentials please?

Howard

Your post falls into your own criticism of the other post.

Lots of people from different walks of life on cruises. Everyone from Slash of Guns and Roses to you and me.

I have been contradicted by my 7 year old. She loves it. She thinks she'd remember the ship, and that it "says New York."

My guess is that if we knew the age of each of the posters, we'd see a general pattern of groups that like and don't like the design. My first thought was this is primarily for the younger ages, a group I think NCL is trying to capture with its newer ships. When I look at their brochures, I don't see anyone over 35. When I'm on board, I see a lot of people over 35. Just my opinion. Like a lot of posters, I don't care much what the hull artwork looks like.

Mr Max: With all due respect, please consider returning to your drawing board. How about putting Lady Liberty's head back on her body and giving us the entire statue, or if you "must" separate, just the torch? Lose the planets, which have nothing to do with NYC. Work in the Empire State Building. The gorgeous Chrysler Building. Radio City Music Hall. The lights of Broadway. A yellow cab. A subway car. The Brooklyn Bridge.....

You've got a showcase "canvas" to work on. You'll be representing not only NYC, but NCL and yourself as well.

My first reaction was, "Well it's definately Peter Max." Anyone who has passed thru the art "gallery" on any NCL ship has seen Peter Max's work even if they didn't realize it. (And most other ships too)

Well on the upside if you have to much to drink in a port it will be easy to find your ship :p

It won't be hard to find, LOL. I think I like it......:confused:

Lose the planets, which have nothing to do with NYC.

I might just be showing my ignorance here, but I'm thinking that the sun being so predominant among the other planets is symbolic of NYC. You know, the 'center of the universe'. Of course, he might have spilled a large amount of orange paint, and went with it! :rolleyes:

Archived