BREAKAWAY - Peter Max design revealed!!!

tokidoki

And the irony of all this negative reaction is that folks are are so disappointed because their hopes were so high. They love NCL. They love Freestyle. They have NCL pride. What's so painful about the Big Blue Blot is that the Breakaway/Peter Max otherwise appears to be the sexiest, most exciting ship NCL has ever built. Folks like me are super, super excited about sailing on her for decades to come.

But someone had to realize that this was going to be the reaction, didn't they? Do they market test these things before they announce the decision, or do they just "know" everyone is going to love the result because someone in Miami has convinced him/herself that the freeway mural/high school art project/graffiti wall/elementary school art project is going to be a hit? It's just frustrating.:confused: Perhaps they should have done the art before they made the announcement in the first place...

The theme only makes sense as it is sailing out of New York. If they start moving it around the world, the connection will be lost.

I was wondering the same thing. :o (I mean she is already going to be doing a few Caribbean cruises).

I've been trying to figure out what the heck the planets have to do with cruising ~ or with NYC ~ or with NCL, and haven't come up with an answer yet. :rolleyes:

I can't figure out the planet thing either???

Although I like the hull art idea on the other NCL ships and I like color, I'm not sure that I like this. As others have said, it looks like it was done by a child or someone spray painting the walls somewhere.

I'm all for different (when everyone said they hated the top hat design of the Epic, I actually liked it and loved being able to be in port and say, hey, I can tell which one is my ship out of all of these docked here) but I don't think this painting will do it for me. At least you won't see it from the inside.

I have to laugh when I see a post about classy and elegant in relation to NCL. That's not what NCL is about. Freestyle means just that - do whatever, whenever, dress however, whenever. Those single shade black or white hulls tell me stodgy, rigid. HAL. Cunard, Crystal. If I want classy and elegant, that's where I'll go. Sure, Disney went black, but they have that Mouse thing going and they know they'd get people anyway because of it. They could have painted the entire cruise line purple and they'd get their guests...

I kind of like this hull art. As a tie-dyed hippie from the 60s, I like the whimsical tribute to NYC. But, NCL, PLEASE don't hire Joe Farcus to do the interiors!!!!! Now, those Carnival interiors ARE disgusting. Just like a bad acid trip ;)

I have to laugh when I see a post about classy and elegant in relation to NCL. That's not what NCL is about. Freestyle means just that - do whatever, whenever, dress however, whenever. Those single shade black or white hulls tell me stodgy, rigid. HAL. Cunard, Crystal. If I want classy and elegant, that's where I'll go. Sure, Disney went black, but they have that Mouse thing going and they know they'd get people anyway because of it. They could have painted the entire cruise line purple and they'd get their guests...

I kind of like this hull art. As a tie-dyed hippie from the 60s, I like the whimsical tribute to NYC. But, NCL, PLEASE don't hire Joe Farcus to do the interiors!!!!! Now, those Carnival interiors ARE disgusting. Just like a bad acid trip ;)

You might want to go to breakaway dot ncl dot com and watch the video of the Breakaway/Peter Max interiors and you will see very clearly that NCL is going for a super-slick, elegant design. The reality is that the art on the side of the ship corrensponds in no way whatsoever stylistically with the architecture of the ship or the interior design. That's what's so galling. Furthermore, the target audience for NCL, as exemplified by the folks in their marketing, have no idea who Peter Max is, nor do they care. All they will see is a rediculous looking freeway mural covering 40,000 square feet of the hull.

Yes, that's why I will embrace the reaction. I will be on my balcony proudly waving to the other ships while I'm wearing my Grouch Marx eyeglasses/nose/mustache disguise. ;)

:p Everyone will know what ship it is also. Word will get out.

.....everyone will think the name of the ship is the Peter Max...

I think it is hideous .....

...and he is not cheap .....wonder how much they paid for ....that ....

I thought the same. How in heavens name did NCL allow the artist's name to be as large, more prominently displayed, and in a better font than the name of the ship?!

NCL needed another ugly looking ship to match the front heavy Epic I guess. :eek: I love NCL but don't they use designers/market researcher to test out this stuff? Seriously?

They need to paint this ugly mural on the bow of the Epic .....to divert attention from the big ugly Epic hat......;)

It seems they ignored the majority who did not like the name Breakaway, and now they will ignore the majority who do not like this art.

Perhaps the art is a "break away" from reality?

I am all for a fun looking ship but if the interior is going to be sleek and modern the art could have been, also.

This will tie the ship to New York but when I think New York I think sophisticated and fun, not this. I don't see this ship sailing out of other ports successfully.

People will just call the ship "Peter" since that is the prominent name on the hull.

I am booked for a sailing, don't get me wrong, but I won't be looking at the hull much...

Dear Mother (age 73) loved it - I think it is too much. I love the color on the other NCL ships, but I think so much design detracts from the overall design beauty of this ship. It is definitely Peter Max (not a fan).

But look at it this way, if they ever take it "on the road" out of a different port, you will know it is an American ship - everyone knows NY:)

Ahhhh but a lot of the rest of the world already views us as "ugly Americans."

This is going to really give them a laugh if it ever heads across the pond...

LOL mianmike, l like your signature...NCL Peter Max :eek:

I find the hull art confusing :confused: ...NCL is creating a completely modern ship boasting the most cutting edge features.While decorating the outside with an artist who is most identified with the 1960's/70's. I still can't follow their reasoning. How on earth did they make this connection???? I look at this hull artwork and immediately think "Peter Max??? How long has this ship been in service???"

While I do know Peter Max's art, and his SOL prints are iconic, it makes me wonder if Andy Warhol were still alive, would the ships bow be adorned with a can of cambells soup :confused: ??? You know, he "represented" NYC, too.

I'm imagining when reimbarking from an excursion, maybe instead of the crew handing out towels and cups of water, they can hand out peace signs and love beads while dancing to Inagodadavida...because that's the vibe I get from this mural...just sayin' :p

Archived