how to wash sunblock out

Michidoeme

I know I have read about this here before, but can not find it anymore, even by using several searches.

Who can tell me how to get the yellow stains from sunblock / suncream out of white shirts, dresses ? I have several ones that normal washing do not get white again.

Thanks for tips.

There is a product called Biz that I use for all stains and that might do the trick. It is sold in the detergent section. I have successfully removed stubborn stains by soaking clothes in this product over night and then putting the clothes through a regular cycle. Good luck!

Have you tried using a Spray-n-Wash Stain Stick on it? I've never used that for sunscreen, but it's phenomenal at getting out other oil-based stains out of washable fabric. It also has the advantage that you can apply it to the garment when you take it off (which is when you usually notice a stain) -- and toss it into the laundry basket for a few days, before washing it. :cool:

I've had great results on all kinds of stains with OxiClean, the granules that are sold in little tubs. The instructions are on the tub. You can soak over night, rub in, put into wash cycle, etc. Great product. BTW, there spray pre-treat isn't so good, IMHO. I prefer Resolve for that.

If you've put the white garments in the dryer after trying to wash the stains out, the stains may be forever "baked" in. If you haven't previously put them in the dryer, be sure to hang them in the sun the next time you wash them.

It is a real pain isn't it? I wash and wash and was the stained clothing and eventually it seems to go eventually. Also wash with bio liquid and extra stain remover and whitener and dry in the sun when possible.

I would love to hear if someone has found something miraculous that works though.

Years ago my white terry swimsuit cover up got horrible yellow stains from sunscreen. I tried everything including Stain Stick, Biz, Zout and bleach. Unfortunately nothing budged that stain - it was permanent, like paint.

I ended up throwing the garment in the trash.

In our local supermarket I noticed a sign posted near the clear plastic non-disposable glassware that is normally used outdoors. The sign said that contact with sunscreen would permanently damage those cups and glasses.

Apparently sunscreen is very reactive to certain textiles and plastics and you've got to use caution when using it.

Years ago my white terry swimsuit cover up got horrible yellow stains from sunscreen. I tried everything including Stain Stick, Biz, Zout and bleach. Unfortunately nothing budged that stain - it was permanent, like paint.

I ended up throwing the garment in the trash.

In our local supermarket I noticed a sign posted near the clear plastic non-disposable glassware that is normally used outdoors. The sign said that contact with sunscreen would permanently damage those cups and glasses.

Apparently sunscreen is very reactive to certain textiles and plastics and you've got to use caution when using it.

I have thrown white t shirts away too. You would never think about plastic table wear would you? I wish they could find either good sunscreen that doesn't stain or something that removes it.

There's a website "EHow" that I use a lot for different stain removals, as well as a lot of other "how to" questions. Here's a link to what they say about sunblock:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2228278_get-sunscreen-stains-out-clothing.html

One of the things that crops up in most stain removal tips is - don't put anything in the dryer if the stain's not gone. Heat will set most stains and make them harder to get out.

Archived