Taxis to Rome and Florence

JATeesside

Hi, we are going on the Spirit in October. We want to go to both Rome and Florence for the day. As it will cost 3 adults and a child for the trip from the ship, I wondered whether a taxi would be cheaper. Can anyone let me know an approximate cost of a taxi, return from each of the ports. Thanks Julie

It really depends what you want to do. If you just want to get dropped off in Rome and then picked up again to go back to the ship then I do think it would make more sense to do the train. There is the cruise train that you can purchase tickets from in advance and it takes you directly to the Vatican and back for a fee of 16.5 Euros per person roundtrip. It is faster than the regular train that ends in Rome Termini.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/faqs

If you are thinking of hiring a driver for the day there are companies like Rome In Limo that might make it a more interesting journey. It is 380 Euros for a group of 4 for 8 hours. You can tailor your visit to suit your tastes. Considering a taxi will be 125 Euros each way (250 total)- the extra money (130 Euros) for the convenience of an all day driver seems worth it. For instance, four HOHO bus tickets will be 100 Euros.

http://www.romeinlimo.com/tours-of-rome/sightseeing-tours.htm

Lets put this in proper perspective. To go to Rome in a taxi it will cost you around 250-300 Euros round trip. For the 4 of you to buy BIRG passes (which include round trip train and all days use of Rome's Metro and buses) it will cost you about 45 Euros. In Livorno its a bit different since you would have to spend about 45 Euros in taxis to get to and from the station.. but you would still save at least 150 Euros by using the train.

Hank

As for Florence- you'd be better off doing the train there as well. It is quite a distance from Livorno to Florence and train tickets are $10 per person.

If you are really interested in Tuscany- then a driver would be preferable because you can see more in a car than on the ship's bus or the train.

You can expect to pay 380 Euros for an all day private tour for four people.

While Florence is the mecca of Michelangelo's artwork and is lovely- there will be hoards of people there during the day- clogging the streets and shops. I actually fled the epicenter to the more peaceful Pitti Palace and their sprawling grounds. That side of the Arno River is less congested.

Also- I have never been to Siena but am told it is rivals Florence in terms of enchantment.

Not sure how old your child is- but it will be a long day and you do have the option of leaving your child onboard the ship (with the youth counselors). I did that while my Father and I went to the Cinque Terre. I'm suggesting this because it may change what the adults decide to do... you might want to do a Vineyard instead of Florence. So many choices from Livorno.

Archived