Alaska Inside Passage Video

Shoptaw

Just sit right back and you'll see a tale,

A tale of a fateful trip,

That started from this Northwest port,

Aboard this shining ship.

Great job Charley. You're one of the best. One question. At 1:50 .. where was that high angle shot from?

At 1:02, was the shot of the black bear with the salmon at Creek Street? That was awfully close Charley.

The cub was shot "videoed" on our float plane tour. It looks like he is bringing it to share. You can see that entire video at:

The cub was shot "videoed" on our float plane tour. It looks like he is bringing it to share. You can see that entire video at:

Wow. Beautiful work Charley. I see the setup now with the bears. Pretty cool. Were they Screen Actors Guild Bears or just extras? They surely put on a show.

I assume you carried a tripod to get those shots so steady zoomed so far in ... and looks like you strapped the GoPro to the aircraft .. The GoPro footage matched really well to the plane landing (except it was raining on the GoPro -- can't control the weather, eh? ) ... Weren't you risking the AX2000 getting rained on? But just a terrific job of planning, shooting and post production .. Love the pilot audio at the end .. well done!

Lots of work .. you must love doing it .. I'm assuming you've had other experience besides "home movies" ...

Wow. Beautiful work Charley. I see the setup now with the bears. Pretty cool. Were they Screen Actors Guild Bears or just extras? They surely put on a show.

I assume you carried a tripod to get those shots so steady zoomed so far in ... and looks like you strapped the GoPro to the aircraft .. The GoPro footage matched really well to the plane landing (except it was raining on the GoPro -- can't control the weather, eh? ) ... Weren't you risking the AX2000 getting rained on? But just a terrific job of planning, shooting and post production .. Love the pilot audio at the end .. well done!

Lots of work .. you must love doing it .. I'm assuming you've had other experience besides "home movies" ...

Thanks again, yes a tripod is a must. It's a pain sometimes but without it you miss great shots like the bear asleep in the tree. I wanted to mount the GoPro on the tail to have the plane in the shot but the pilot had the last say. Also I've learned to protect the equipment. I have a rain slicker for the big camera and carry an umbrella. The trick I've found is to film everything. The takeoff was with us aboard but the landing was us waiting on the dock for our ride back. Only those of us on the tour know that so the story tells okay. If you are interested in other projects I've done there are some videos on my YouTube site, MrShoptaw, some of a all steam powered saw mill and box factory. Here's one of them - http://youtu.be/AZ-5GCkV_TU

Thanks again, yes a tripod is a must. It's a pain sometimes but without it you miss great shots like the bear asleep in the tree. I wanted to mount the GoPro on the tail to have the plane in the shot but the pilot had the last say. Also I've learned to protect the equipment. I have a rain slicker for the big camera and carry an umbrella. The trick I've found is to film everything. The takeoff was with us aboard but the landing was us waiting on the dock for our ride back. Only those of us on the tour know that so the story tells okay. If you are interested in other projects I've done there are some videos on my YouTube site, MrShoptaw, some of a all steam powered saw mill and box factory. Here's one of them - http://youtu.be/AZ-5GCkV_TU

Sawmill .. another good one .. well done … you tell the story without a single word of narration. I would have probably used some voice over from the guys at the mill to explain things. But that’s the beauty of doing these things. You are the “head of the studio” with “final cut” …

I used to work in films in my younger days. I had quite a bit of experience making films but gave it all up to go into my own retail business. I hardly touched a camera for nearly 3 decades. I retired 6 years ago and immediately picked up an SD video camera as we started our travels (mostly cruising). Since then I’ve made quite a few “travel videos”, including a series of 44 episodes of our 2008 World Cruise. I like to see what others have done with “travel videos” but it’s rare I find someone of your talent. It’s a pleasure and it inspires me to get back to improving my own work on “travel videos”. It's still astonishing to me how much can be done these days with a "one man band" shooting and post (effects, titles, mixing!).

And it's also amazing to be able to share the work so easily and quickly via YouTube etc... and see what others are doing. Here’s one of mine

Paul

Sawmill .. another good one .. well done … you tell the story without a single word of narration. I would have probably used some voice over from the guys at the mill to explain things. But that’s the beauty of doing these things. You are the “head of the studio” with “final cut” …

I used to work in films in my younger days. I had quite a bit of experience making films but gave it all up to go into my own retail business. I hardly touched a camera for nearly 3 decades. I retired 6 years ago and immediately picked up an SD video camera as we started our travels (mostly cruising). Since then I’ve made quite a few “travel videos”, including a series of 44 episodes of our 2008 World Cruise. I like to see what others have done with “travel videos” but it’s rare I find someone of your talent. It’s a pleasure and it inspires me to get back to improving my own work on “travel videos”. It's still astonishing to me how much can be done these days with a "one man band" shooting and post (effects, titles, mixing!).

And it's also amazing to be able to share the work so easily and quickly via YouTube etc... and see what others are doing. Here’s one of mine

Paul

I'm working on pulling all the mill operations together in a documentary and it needs narration to do it right. Alas, that is my weak spot so it's moving slowly. I've always had a love of video but could never afford the cost of film and developing so it never took off until digital and retirement. I agree it's amazing we can share with others around the world.

Thanks for pointing me to your YouTube channel. I like your work and look forward to seeing more.

Best Regards, Charley

Fantastic video, I really enjoyed this and the bear trip one. Was it hard to get the pilot to agree to mount the Gopro camera on the aircraft ?

Cheers Rob

I wanted to attach it to the tail so the plane would be in the frame but they already had a mount on the float and wanted it there so I deffered to the pilot.

Archived