Chocolate Buffet on Star?

cruzcrazze

Although I don't like chocolate, I do like go to see the display and taking pictures of it. I hope they have it. I don't know why they wouldn't since all of the other NCL ships I've been on does it.

So, my question would be "where" do they have it at? I know on the Spirit they had it in a main dining room and it was beautiful. On our last cruise on the Pearl it was just in the buffet area where you would normally get your buffet food and nothing spectacular to look at under the glass cases for food. :rolleyes:

Do they still do chocolate buffets? We are going on the Star this October and was wondering if they still have them.

Yes, they do have the chocoholic buffet usually about mid-week. It is now held in the actual buffet. The buffet on the Star is very high school cafeteria like. Very utilitarian. A few years ago they did the chocoholic buffet in the Versailles dining room. The lights were low and it was a very elegant event. Not so much anymore. They have also started really skimping on the ingredients. While lots of things look tasty, they actually are not.

Yes, they do have the chocoholic buffet usually about mid-week. It is now held in the actual buffet. The buffet on the Star is very high school cafeteria like. Very utilitarian. A few years ago they did the chocoholic buffet in the Versailles dining room. The lights were low and it was a very elegant event. Not so much anymore. They have also started really skimping on the ingredients. While lots of things look tasty, they actually are not.

Ugh, I hate when they have it at the buffet. When we were on the Spirit last September they had it in the main dining room...like you said, lights down low, very elegant looking. The ice sculpture was huge and the table displays and flowing chocolate fountains where beautiful. Not so much when it's in the buffet area with the lights all up and like a school cafeteria. yuck :cool:

I have to agree with the taste. I'm not a chocolate fan (but do like white chocolate) and it was very bland. My daughter loves chocolate and she didn't even like it. :(

Ugh, I hate when they have it at the buffet. When we were on the Spirit last September they had it in the main dining room...like you said, lights down low, very elegant looking. The ice sculpture was huge and the table displays and flowing chocolate fountains where beautiful. Not so much when it's in the buffet area with the lights all up and like a school cafeteria. yuck :cool:

I have to agree with the taste. I'm not a chocolate fan (but do like white chocolate) and it was very bland. My daughter loves chocolate and she didn't even like it. :(

When we were on the Star in July, they did have the chocolate buffet one night in the regular buffet venue. We, too, were struck by how cafeteria-like the buffet is on any day (high school cafeteria is the perfect description). During the chocolate buffet event, they tried to make it special. The lights were low, the jazz band played, there was an ice sculpture champagne bottle display, and they were selling champagne by the glass. We didn't happen to find anything that was yummy though.

How disappointing that they don't make an effort to make it elegant and beautiful on the Star! Not at all typical for NCL! I sure hope they move it back to the MDR and make it super special again! It was one of the highlights of our cruise last October on the Spirit, and I've told everyone in my group how amazing it was.....

How disappointing that they don't make an effort to make it elegant and beautiful on the Star! Not at all typical for NCL! I sure hope they move it back to the MDR and make it super special again! It was one of the highlights of our cruise last October on the Spirit, and I've told everyone in my group how amazing it was.....

Yea, I agree...the Spirit was a beautiful set up. But, the Star is not the only one that does the cafeteria set-up since the Pearl did the same thing this past March. :(

I agree, the deserts were very bland.

~La Princesa

I may be in the minority but I much prefer chocolate buffet in the actual buffet area, at least on the one ship I saw that setup so far.

I experienced one in a main dining room. Talk about traffic and waiting. Display set up in the middle of the room with people passing on either side. I call that congested.

I attended one in the buffet area on Pearl. While everyone lined up orderly outside the entrance, passengers could go to many different stations without waiting behind others for things which did not interest them. Much more conducive to flow.

I may be in the minority but I much prefer chocolate buffet in the actual buffet area, at least on the one ship I saw that setup so far.

I experienced one in a main dining room. Talk about traffic and waiting. Display set up in the middle of the room with people passing on either side. I call that congested.

I attended one in the buffet area on Pearl. While everyone lined up orderly outside the entrance, passengers could go to many different stations without waiting behind others for things which did not interest them. Much more conducive to flow.

I guess I experienced something totally different when they had it at the main dining room than you did then. Yes, there was a long line to get in outside, but once you got in, there were tables set up everywhere and in different directions. People could go on either side at any of the tables (just like you would at a buffet style). Maybe they just did it differently than the one you experienced? :confused: The tables were all decorated beautifully, tons of ice sculptures (I believe there were about 8 or 9 where on the cafe one there were 2), a video playing on a big screen tv, the dragon ice sculpture alone took up a huge table (or it could have been 2 tables put together). Don't get me wrong, everyone has different taste and certainly entitled to their own option, so I'm not arguing or anything. I'm just wondering what type of experience you had in the main dining room that's all. :)

Compared to Carnival, the chocolate buffet on the Star is fantastic! While it IS in the buffet area, which reduces the elegance factor, the presentation was top-notch. There was a large variety of deserts and while I didn't fill my plate to overflow, the chocolate that I ate was pretty good. Carnival sets theirs up in the buffet area as well but they have a very limited menu of fruits and cakes that can be dipped in the chocolate fountain, but only by a staff member. They have a large number of chocolate deserts but they are away from the fountain, basically discouraging it's use. In spite if it being in the buffet, the Star's chocolate buffet has a "Wow" factor that's missing on the Carnival ships that I've been on.

While we love NCL we don't like the chocolate buffet.You are right,the deserts are tasteless but look good.I don't think they just started skimping on ingredients,they always have. Celebrity has a good chocolate buffet,at least they use to.

last year we were on the gem. i saw in the dailies that there was a choc buffet. didn't read the small details. usually you go at 10 take pics and then start into it at 10:30. so we show up at 10 and everything was gone. they had put the buffet on at regular dining time, not as a separate entity. wasn't going to eat anything, but i do like taking pic's. very disapointing.

last year we were on the gem. i saw in the dailies that there was a choc buffet. didn't read the small details. usually you go at 10 take pics and then start into it at 10:30. so we show up at 10 and everything was gone. they had put the buffet on at regular dining time, not as a separate entity. wasn't going to eat anything, but i do like taking pic's. very disapointing.

I can tell you that they allow the VIP members in first (which can be quite a few people) so that they have the opportunity to take pictures and get first choice at the pickings. Could that have been what happened?

I can tell you that they allow the VIP members in first (which can be quite a few people) so that they have the opportunity to take pictures and get first choice at the pickings. Could that have been what happened?

They didn't realize the chocolate buffet now runs concurrently with dinner rather than starting after dinner as it used to. They didn't go until 10pm, when the buffet was ending.

Archived