Anyone ever go to St. Thomas as NOT get off the ship?

dmwnc1959

Why not choose relaxing destinations? Unless the natural beauty of many islands doesn't interest you?

I have vacationed in places like Hawaii, Bali, the Caribbean, Kenya, India, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, the Med, the Philippines (my brother got married here), and hundreds of places in between. Plenty of islands there. I lived in Italy for two years and traveled extensively in Europe. Been across the US from shore to shore to shore. I absolutely LOVE southwest Utah and the Pacific northwest. Spent two weeks cruising the Columbia River from Portland into Idaho then back to the Pacific coast. I've cruised Alaska five times, been on over 100 Amtrak trips, many cross country through some of the most stunning scenery in the US. I've taken two 2-week long Eurail trips through Europe, traveled by train in Egypt and India, and cruised the Nile. Spent months cruising in the south Pacific, two months crossing Indonesia, and a month in India. I've witnessed amazing vistas of the Himalayas from Darjeeling, seen the pyramids standing guard over the desert sands, Christ the Redeemer's arms outstretched over Rio de Janeiro, the sunrise cast pink hues on the marble of the Taj Mahal, climbed to the top of Borobodur, St. Peter's Basilica and St. Paul's Cathedral, and watched wildlife on the plains of Tsavo East.

I've seen natural beauty; on many islands, in many countries, and on many continents.

Now all I want to do is relax and admire the endless churning wake as it disappears into the horizon, watch the sun rise and set as the ocean breeze and smell of saltwater spray washes around me, feel the excitement of pulling in and out of different ports even if I never disembark, sit on a deckchair or walk the promenade and watch the ever changing ocean rush past me, and be lulled to sleep by the gentle movement of the ocean underneath me.

I want to be on a ship.

I too will be going on the Ruby in December and other than taking a walk to find some free internet or maybe lunch I will spend the day on the ship in St. Thomas.

I go cruising to relax so tours and shopping aren't really my thing.

You are on the sailing after I disembark. I hope you have a GREAT time relaxing and enjoying the ship. :D I know I will...;)

With one of my all time favorite fabric stores in CA, of course I get off the ship. That may be all I do however. But I do just love wandering the streets enjoying the archhitecture.

Just wondering if you would care to share the name and location of the fabric store? One of my favorite things to purchase is fabric. I make pillows with fabric from each island I visit and then I have a great and useful memento from my vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in St. Thomas last week on Carnival Liberty, and we got into port 2 hours early because we'd missed our first port-call at Half Moon Cay due to weather. I'd booked a snuba excursion at Coral World, but it didn't depart until 12:30 -- and we had pulled in at 8 am, so I got to enjoy the quiet of the ship on a port-day for several hours before debarking for the excursion. Nice time to take ship-photos because it was nearly empty, too. My only regret was that I couldn't eat at any of the lunch-time restaurants onboard -- with no lines -- because I didn't want to eat before going on a diving excursion! :)

There was also a crew-only disaster drill onboard while I was killing time, so I got to hear the emergency announcements and then the captain announcing "Abandon ship" over the PA. Really wish I had recorded THAT one. :D

There was also a crew-only disaster drill onboard while I was killing time, so I got to hear the emergency announcements and then the captain announcing "Abandon ship" over the PA. Really wish I had recorded THAT one.

That's funny pellaz :p

Fabric in Motion is on what they refer to as Greenhouse Street, because it's on the street that runs on the side of the Greenhouse Restaurant. The name of the street is Store Tvaer Gade, and the address is #7 Store Tvaer Gade. But locals would know where I. Levine or Essentric Shoe Boutique is, so if you ask someone and they don't know of the fabric store, ask about the other stores on that street.

• 1 month later...

So, anyone ever cruise to St. Thomas, not get off the ship, and not regret it?

I have had the ship to myself the last two cruises that have stopped in St. T.

and I will do the same on my cruise that sails next week.

Now there's a die-hard cruiser! We have friends that keep going to the same ports but have never really seen any of the island outside the dock. They just like the ship time. They really should just take the transatlantic repositioning cruises. But I suppose one great thing about staying on the ship in port is the relative peace and quiet.

I have vacationed in places like Hawaii, Bali, the Caribbean, Kenya, India, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, the Med, the Philippines (my brother got married here), and hundreds of places in between. Plenty of islands there. I lived in Italy for two years and traveled extensively in Europe. Been across the US from shore to shore to shore. I absolutely LOVE southwest Utah and the Pacific northwest. Spent two weeks cruising the Columbia River from Portland into Idaho then back to the Pacific coast. I've cruised Alaska five times, been on over 100 Amtrak trips, many cross country through some of the most stunning scenery in the US. I've taken two 2-week long Eurail trips through Europe, traveled by train in Egypt and India, and cruised the Nile. Spent months cruising in the south Pacific, two months crossing Indonesia, and a month in India. I've witnessed amazing vistas of the Himalayas from Darjeeling, seen the pyramids standing guard over the desert sands, Christ the Redeemer's arms outstretched over Rio de Janeiro, the sunrise cast pink hues on the marble of the Taj Mahal, climbed to the top of Borobodur, St. Peter's Basilica and St. Paul's Cathedral, and watched wildlife on the plains of Tsavo East.

I've seen natural beauty; on many islands, in many countries, and on many continents.

Now all I want to do is relax and admire the endless churning wake as it disappears into the horizon, watch the sun rise and set as the ocean breeze and smell of saltwater spray washes around me, feel the excitement of pulling in and out of different ports even if I never disembark, sit on a deckchair or walk the promenade and watch the ever changing ocean rush past me, and be lulled to sleep by the gentle movement of the ocean underneath me.

I want to be on a ship.

Wow!! You sure have seen the world.I loved Bali for one month,Egypt sailing the Nile for 11 days,Thailand for a month,seeing the entire country.Cruising,is still by far my best travel experience.I get up each morning to see each port as we sail in from my balcony and sail away.I love being on a ship and visiting new ports,also enjoy sea days.On every Caribbean island we still get off ship as soon as we can,go to a nice beach,chair,umbrella,bucket of beer,some food at the bars,read,swim,relax looking mostly at the ocean.Will never get tired of this and back to the ship an hour before sailing.:)

I want to be on a ship.

LOL I say, hundreds of places. ok, but it sounds like a lousy book to me.

WOW!

We've been around the world and to some ports several times in Europe, but St. Thomas is one we've never seen. I've heard it is a great shopping area, so we'll see if there are some items we find lacking in our home to pick up there. If not, that's okay too. I guess the liquor there is duty free as well, and we can restock. That's the advantage of being able to drive to the port city instead of flying.

Archived