NCL to buy 5000 pounds of Maine lobster for the DAWN in Portland

Got Tequila?

On the Jewel and the Epic I was advised that all lobster aboard was frozen and they had no facility for keeping it "fresh."

But when you are picking it up once a week keeping it fresh in the walk in is not a problem. You would be surprised how many restaurants don't have a tank for their live lobster.

But when you are picking it up once a week keeping it fresh in the walk in is not a problem. You would be surprised how many restaurants don't have a tank for their live lobster.

Besides, the Dawn is picking up its lobster on a reposition cruise to Tampa and not picking it up weekly.

John

Besides, the Dawn is picking up its lobster on a reposition cruise to Tampa and not picking it up weekly.

John

The DAWN will be picking up the lobsters on their Canada, New England runs (I believe they are doing 4 of these cruises this Fall)...not on the repo cruise.

The DAWN will be picking up the lobsters on their Canada, New England runs (I believe they are doing 4 of these cruises this Fall)...not on the repo cruise.

Margaret why would they not pick up on the repo? They will make 6 stops in ME 2 of which are Bar Harbor and the 6th would be the repo in Portland?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Margaret why would they not pick up on the repo? They will make 6 stops in ME 2 of which are Bar Harbor and the 6th would be the repo in Portland?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The reports I've seen all seem to indicate they will buy the lobsters on 4 stops to Portland. I assumed the repo cruise would be from Boston to Tampa and not stop in Portland...my bad, I haven't checked out the Fall itineraries.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Another-cruise-line-agrees-to-buy-Maine-lobster.html

We're doing the Dawn 10/5, Boston to Quebec City....our first port is Portland. Will be a great lobster night on that cruise! We are doing the return 10/12 back to Boston, but stop in Bar Harbor for that part of the cruise, not Portland.

The reports I've seen all seem to indicate they will buy the lobsters on 4 stops to Portland. I assumed the repo cruise would be from Boston to Tampa and not stop in Portland...my bad, I haven't checked out the Fall itineraries.

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Another-cruise-line-agrees-to-buy-Maine-lobster.html

That makes sense with the repo there will be 4 stops in Portland.

Sent from my iPhone - Jim

We're doing the Dawn 10/5, Boston to Quebec City....our first port is Portland. Will be a great lobster night on that cruise! We are doing the return 10/12 back to Boston, but stop in Bar Harbor for that part of the cruise, not Portland.

While in Bar Harbor check out the lobster icecream :D

A lot of cruise lines that are sailing the Canada/New England route have agreed to purchase fresh lobsters because there is such an overabundance.

Not a lot. HAL was first and now NCL and Celebrity. Maybe the rest will follow. Good deal for the cruise line and the lobster men. Tough year with current over supply.

Not a lot. HAL was first and now NCL and Celebrity. Maybe the rest will follow. Good deal for the cruise line and the lobster men. Tough year with current over supply.

I think three mainstream cruise lines is a pretty big number.

Do you think they will be serving whole lobsters in lieu of the tail and fish combo ?

Who knows. I expect several uses of those lobster. 5000 lbs divided by 4 only equals 1000 1 1/4 lb lobsters per cruise. If they do serve the 1/2 tail and fish combo at least it will be good lobster.

• 2 weeks later...

Maine lobster served on NCL Dawn last week.

Real O.J. in the buffet fountain dispensers instead of that other stuff.

Flavored water also in the afternoons from the dispensers was a pleasant surprise both the strawberry / kiwi and the mango were very good and sugar-free. :)

Right now here in MA we are getting "chicken" lobster for well under $3 per pound. We out to eat a couple of nights ago and had a dinner of triples, 3 lobsters with all the trimmings for $17. Cheaper than hamburger right now.

"chicken" Lobster????? Sorry, I've never heard the term. What does it mean please? Great price.

A lot of cruise lines that are sailing the Canada/New England route have agreed to purchase fresh lobsters because there is such an overabundance.

Maine can send me all their excess lobster. I'll take care of it for you.:D

Maine lobster served on NCL Dawn last week.

Real O.J. in the buffet fountain dispensers instead of that other stuff.

Flavored water also in the afternoons from the dispensers was a pleasant surprise both the strawberry / kiwi and the mango were very good and sugar-free. :)

Did they serve the full lobster, and was it available in all restaurants?

Don't they normally serve a better lobster in Cagney's then the MDR?

The used to serve whole cold water lobsters (Maine, Canada) but now it is a frozen warm water tail. Yes it is bigger then the MDR tails.

Hopefully some of the larger lobster from Portland make it to Cagneys :)

Archived