Sleeping on the balcony?

jarz85

I slept outside on an aft on Navigator, it was nice but i woke up very dewy and a bit salty. It was a refreshing nights sleep but a shower was in order before I started my day.

I guess to avoid some of the dewyness one would have to sleep on their balcony naked :eek:

Imagine doing that the night before you pulled into port... then sleeping in and you wake up already docked... oh boy!

Have done it before on accident. We wre staying in a suite so we had loungers . One night I polished off a bottle of wine by myself and my wife & I went back to our suite , I went on the balcony to catch some fresh air and sober up a little, next thing I know I was waking up to the sunrise. Not sure how comfortable it would be if I was not a little tipsy.

I love sleeping on the balcony in the lounger. The cabin steward set up the comforter and pillows for me. I know the risks involved, but I found it very comfortable and loved the sound of the waves. My roommates made sure that I had the lounger pushed up against the door so I wasn't against the railing and I was always in full view so they could see if anything went wrong.

I love sleeping on the balcony in the lounger. The cabin steward set up the comforter and pillows for me. I know the risks involved, but I found it very comfortable and loved the sound of the waves. My roommates made sure that I had the lounger pushed up against the door so I wasn't against the railing and I was always in full view so they could see if anything went wrong.

Is it actually that risky!? Could you accidently roll out of the lounger and fall overboard? lol. It would have been good to play a prank on them by hiding in a corner they couldn't see :P

I guess to avoid some of the dewyness one would have to sleep on their balcony naked :eek:

Imagine doing that the night before you pulled into port... then sleeping in and you wake up already docked... oh boy!

Next to another ship.:eek:

Thanks for the replies... i forgot about the loungers!!! We will be requesting a rollaway bed because we have 3 unrelated adults in one suite!!

Maybe ill just try it one night... if i want to come in and the door is locked ill just wake the others up!!

there won't be a need for one.. the third person will sleep on the sofa bed.

so most likely they would never even permit one to be in the room at all.

We were on the Explorer in May travelling with another couple. The wife asked the cabin attendant if she could get a rollaway bed for the balcony and she got it. She slept out there for 9 nights. The only time she went in was when there was alot of lightning. Of course she went back out after it passed. They only closed their door so she could come and go as she pleased. I can tell you that her husband had the most relaxing sleep he has had in years - having the entire bed for himself.

Fred

We have a room booked on the Allue next year that has a big balcony. Is it possible to take the rollaway bed out there and sleep on it overnight? Is this safe? Will I get eaten by bugs!? Has anyone slept on their balcony before? If so I'd love to hear your story! Thanks!

I slept on our balcony once. It was by accident. I was laying on our balcony deck chair and it was nice and cool. I fell asleep and my DW covered me up and let me sleep. I guess I was snoring too loud for her liking so she let me out there:D. I woke up at like 4 am and went to bed anyway....:)

That would have been funny! I wasn't thinking of risk that I would roll off the boat...but if I was sleepwalking, or there was a crazy storm and the ship tilted, or rogue wave. Not likely, but I guess it could be a consideration. I love it out there!

Is it actually that risky!? Could you accidently roll out of the lounger and fall overboard? lol. It would have been good to play a prank on them by hiding in a corner they couldn't see :P

We are in an Owners Suite! Get your facts right :D

I should make our next trivia question... "What category cabin are we in!?"

If I'm going to sleep on the balcony I guess it will be the night we leave Nassau. That way it won't be too hot??

That would be a good night and I would think the morning going into St Thomas would be good. The bugs should be minimal as the ship stays moving. I will be on my balcony by 6am that day, I love that hour or so sailing into that port.

In Phillipsburg we woke up to the sound of them powerwashing the pier at around 6am and we were on deck 12.

At least the E and D class Balconies having railings that are about chest high. At 6'2 I would have to climb over, don't think I could fall over without climbing up. Do you sleep climb?

In Nassau you may wake up next to Disney Magic I think it was (could be wonder) what deck are you on again? I remember being on deck 12 and looking even with their water slide, but being on the pool deck we could look down on their ship. (actually, not attitude wise)

At least the E and D class Balconies having railings that are about chest high. At 6'2 I would have to climb over, don't think I could fall over without climbing up. Do you sleep climb?

Thanks for making me burst out laughing at 3am!! Thats the 3rd or 4th time youve made me laugh tonight!!

I tend to travel with people who snore...so have slept on my balcony many...MANY times...it's surprising how comfy those duvet's can be on a lounger...we had GS 1600 on the Serenade & my sister & I took turns sleeping out on the balcony...she loved it too!

A little off topic, but look at this video taken at night from a Cove balcony on Carnival Dream. Not the type of balcony you could sleep on! :eek:

We will be sailing on Dream next month for the second time in one of these cabins. They're actually quite nice; totally different, close to the water, and the shade from the lifeboats is nice during the day. We'll be back with RC in May on FOS. It will be our first time sailing Freedom class. very excited! :D

I slept outside on our Liberty cruise ... it was completely accidental but definitely a good night. Not too hot and humid because the ship was moving. Nice breeze and wonderful to hear the ocean.

OK. I'm biting. How do you get to sleep outside accidentally? And how come I don't know about this??? ;)

While there are cautionary tales about falling overboard, being hosed down in the early morning, being kidnapped, etc., I ignored 'em all and slept on the balcony. It was like a primal urge - maybe genetic, since my dad was a sailor who loved to sleep on deck? Anyway, my DDs thought I was very angry with my DH, and my DH thought the girls had driven me outdoors! :eek:

Nope - just silly me checking one more thing off the bucket list. OS on Mariner - used a lounger & duvet. Go for it! It was awesome! :D

Archived