Callao to Lima

vaitape

are cabs available at the dock or does one need to go outside the port gates? How far is the dock from the port gates? We've read that Callao is unsafe and best not to wander on one's own or take public transport, especially after dark.

I am trying to arrange a private tour while our ship is in Lima. One of the local companies I contacted said that only the large tour operators are allowed inside the port and that it is not safe for us to go outside the port to be picked up, even during the day.

I am trying to arrange a private tour while our ship is in Lima. One of the local companies I contacted said that only the large tour operators are allowed inside the port and that it is not safe for us to go outside the port to be picked up, even during the day.

YIKES! That's not good news. We aren't planning any formalized tours, just have some destinations picked out that we thought we'd get to via cab. Sounds like picking up a cab outside the port gate may not be possible/prudent.

Does any one know if O provides shuttle service into Lima and if so, what is the drop-off place?

A light bulb went on that brain of mine: emailed my TA who checked with O and there is no shuttle service being offered at Callao.

If you have not been to Lima before, why not take an O tour of the city and not worry about your safety, etc. It may not be a "bargain" but you would want to see the highlights of Lima - well worth it, IMO

Thanks for the suggestion. We're not fans of bus tours. I think we'll explore transport through a tour company instead.

If you are looking for a small group or private tour, see what Orient-Express is offering. We used them in Cusco last year and they took great care of us. They also offer tours in Lima.

If you are looking for a small group or private tour, see what Orient-Express is offering. We used them in Cusco last year and they took great care of us. They also offer tours in Lima.

Thanks for the recommendation. Our friends are booking with them for Cusco/MP.

Our plans for Lima are fairly simple......What we need is safe and reliable round trip transport from port to Lima so we can visit a couple of museums and restaurants over the 2.5 days we're in Callao. It might be easier (and perhaps less expensive) to stay in a hotel for a night or 2 to avoid the logistics and cost involved in the commute from Callao port to Lima.

Thanks for the recommendation. Our friends are booking with them for Cusco/MP.

Our plans for Lima are fairly simple......What we need is safe and reliable round trip transport from port to Lima so we can visit a couple of museums and restaurants over the 2.5 days we're in Callao. It might be easier (and perhaps less expensive) to stay in a hotel for a night or 2 to avoid the logistics and cost involved in the commute from Callao port to Lima.

Especially if you have free nights or points with any of the major hotels :D

Archived