It's getting old...

holidayathesea

I think it’s the way it’s been stated. One can comment on what they think to be a lack of food quality without making disparaging remarks. Suggesting that the food on Princess is less than that of a discount buffet adds fuel to the fire and incites the “snippy” comments. Objectivity works wonders.

See what I mean – that just perpetuates and heightens the argument. Given that HTB doesn't sail around the Caribbean - or anywhere else for that matter - you really can't make a comparison. Objectivity works wonders.

\

However, I gave consolidated reasons why the remarks made were IMHO true and accurate. Don't take it personally because you're in love with a certain cruiseline. The comparison is in what you get on a cruiseline that projects itself as top-of-the-line, versus one that tries to be.

\

However, I gave consolidated reasons why the remarks made were IMHO true and accurate. Don't take it personally because you're in love with a certain cruiseline. The comparison is in what you get on a cruiseline that projects itself as top-of-the-line, versus one that tries to be.

They may be true and accurate but only for you and your perception - not for anyone else.

Ron

Okay, Elliair, here's the deal. Criticism that is constructive is always welcome. When it turns into a destructive axe-grinding campaign, you are going to get some argument. Personally, you are welcome to your own opinion. When you try to influence those who are seeking information with your thoughts that are clearly on the extreme end of the scale, you must ask yourself, are you trying to help these people, or hurt them?

I think we all would be doing these boards a great service if we tried to create realistic expectations, not overtly negative or sickeningly positive.

OK, we all agree a faux pas was made! Maybe even a dreadful, terrible, horrific, unforgivably irresponsible faux pas.

what is considered good manners in one culture can be considered a horrible faux pas in another.

(IE; OK for Carnival Board not for Princess) :rolleyes:

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faux_pas

Etymology: French, literally, false step

from

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=faux+pas&x=23&y=7

I have read some postings where people are made to feel stupid when they ask a question...I have seen people correct spelling in a rude way...I have read some rude comments that make me cringe and just feel bad for the person it was directed to. It really makes me not want to post because of a possible mean reply. Because the first thing I want to do is fight back, and that is just not appropriate. So I rarely set myself up to be a target. Not everyone does this, but the ones that do can really be unkind.

Sorry, I’m in the minority here. I think the boards have been relatively civil compared to what they can be. Can someone give me an example of recent rude behavior?

Wow, do I agree with you. I am puzzled by the op's comments. I have noticed a decidedly more upbeat cruiser on these boards lately. Maybe I'm missing something here. If there are nasty, rude goings on the best thing to do is ignore those posts and move on. They die out from "starvation." Anyway, I'm happy I've seen really good, positive posts these days. :)

Wow, do I agree with you. I am puzzled by the op's comments. I have noticed a decidedly more upbeat cruiser on these boards lately. Maybe I'm missing something here. If there are nasty, rude goings on the best thing to do is ignore those posts and move on. They die out from "starvation." Anyway, I'm happy I've seen really good, positive posts these days. :)

Me too. Ever seen the rest of the internet? Even those who are considered rude here are mild by comparison.

Me too. Ever seen the rest of the internet? Even those who are considered rude here are mild by comparison.

Especially those political boards. I am a political "junkie" but I stay away from those places. I get enough heartburn just reading the newspapers. But I am glad that you agree with me that these boards are really good and quite helpful. You've been here a long time so you know how bad they got for a while. That stuff dies out.

Geeze, you people take this message board thing seriously!!!:eek: If you don't want to read a message, don't! :)

There are those of us that are new to the message board and appreciate reading new posts without having to "research" it.

Have Fun!:D

Because of free yogurt? I don’t take anything personally on this board – if I did I would have left years ago when people first got “snippy” with me. And the fact that I favor Princess cruises does not mean that I haven’t – and won’t continue – to point out what I consider weaknesses in the product they present. Check any MUTS thread. And I’m not one to point to Princess as being a top of the line cruise line. My experience with the line, which I believe is a bit more extensive than yours, has proven to me that your statements are untrue and given the reason for this board, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with me pointing that out. In the meantime, my suggestion that if your posts were somewhat more objective you’d probably not have as much negative reaction to them still stands.

Guest Host Tink

For those who are new, don't forget at the top right corner of any post, you'll see an exclamation point inside a yellow triangle, if you click on that, it will create an email that will be sent to me regarding the post, you are welcome to use it, and I will use my discretion as to action.

:D

Morning all!

OK my take on this whole thing is that the "veteran" posters are fed up with "newbie" posters asking the same questions and double posting without researching the threads first to see if a similar post has been established, and the "Newbies" are taking the short answers as "Rude" am I correct?

This entire issue would be null and void IF they veterans would be kind enough to share their vast knowledge of the boards and their functions when this issue arises. Most newbies who stumble across these boards know little about this "community" and how it functions, that said if when asked ,for the umteenth time, about hand washing techniques to avoid Noro, you could take the time to explain (turn by turn) how to research a thread on the boards I am confident that most would be happy to do so, but many do not know how. We were all newbies at one time.

Happy Cruising!

Morning all!

OK my take on this whole thing is that the "veteran" posters are fed up with "newbie" posters asking the same questions and double posting without researching the threads first to see if a similar post has been established, and the "Newbies" are taking the short answers as "Rude" am I correct?

This entire issue would be null and void IF they veterans would be kind enough to share their vast knowledge of the boards and their functions when this issue arises. Most newbies who stumble across these boards know little about this "community" and how it functions, that said if when asked ,for the umteenth time, about hand washing techniques to avoid Noro, you could take the time to explain (turn by turn) how to research a thread on the boards I am confident that most would be happy to do so, but many do not know how. We were all newbies at one time.

Happy Cruising!

AMEN

Is this about me?

YIKES! It isn't about anyone in particular, just noting that a few people suggested that posters research before they post ---I truly don't know which of us cruisers said it.

I guess I get a chuckle when folks take opinions of others to heart...please... no offense to anyone intended....really:o

All I have to say is...TGIF!:D

For those who are boarding a ship today...have a great cruise and relax & enjoy.

For all you others...sip a cool drink,turn on a little Bob Marley or Jimmy Buffett and just dream of that next cruise.

Enjoy your weekend.

CFL

No, I don’t think you are correct. The veterans around here understand that new posters may be asking the same questions that were asked before and are more than willing to help. As one of the veterans, I don’t think it quite fair to point the finger of rudeness at us. While I think both factions have their moments, I’ve been blasted more by new people on this board who don’t appreciate the experience that I present.

My opinion is that some people like to post and have what they post taken at face value, even when their posts are not objective or leave out important facts that would make the post seem like reality. When they get questioned, they get “snippy.”

Criticism that is constructive is always welcome. When it turns into a destructive axe-grinding campaign, you are going to get some argument. Personally, you are welcome to your own opinion. When you try to influence those who are seeking information with your thoughts that are clearly on the extreme end of the scale, you must ask yourself, are you trying to help these people, or hurt them?

I think we all would be doing these boards a great service if we tried to create realistic expectations, not overtly negative or sickeningly positive.

Rob, I agree completely! :)

bdjam,

I don't think it is fair for you to assume that I was pointing fingers at anyone, this is EXACTLY the type of response I refer to when I say that some answers are taken as being "Rude"! You assume that I am somehow attacking the veterans, when in fact I did nothing more than suggest a random act of kindness/courtesy towards the folks who do not posess your wisdom. NONE of us are experts, we derive our knowledge from our own personal cruise experiences and have this forum in which to share them.

No, I don’t think you are correct. The veterans around here understand that new posters may be asking the same questions that were asked before and are more than willing to help. As one of the veterans, I don’t think it quite fair to point the finger of rudeness at us. While I think both factions have their moments, I’ve been blasted more by new people on this board who don’t appreciate the experience that I present.

My opinion is that some people like to post and have what they post taken at face value, even when their posts are not objective or leave out important facts that would make the post seem like reality. When they get questioned, they get “snippy.”

bdjam,

I don't think it is fair for you to assume that I was pointing fingers at anyone, this is EXACTLY the type of response I refer to when I say that some answers are taken as being "Rude"! You assume that I am somehow attacking the veterans, when in fact I did nothing more than suggest a random act of kindness/courtesy towards the folks who do not posess your wisdom. NONE of us are experts, we derive our knowledge from our own personal cruise experiences and have this forum in which to share them.

I won’t argue the point, but you did suggest that "veterans" were fed up – and my post was in response. Maybe I shouldn't count myself as a veteran?

Archived