Uniworld Dress Code

newlondon

Had to add a serious comment-- each night most men were dressed in nice pants/jeans/dockers and button shirts or golf polos. A few guys wore sport coats and some even wore ties (mostly our 4-5 Brits) and on occassion 2-3 of our "Florida University" group complete with ball caps! Mosts the ladies wore nice pants & tops and once or twice dressed up in a nice dress. I never saw a suit or other more formal attire- just nice comfortable and casual clothing. Did see a couple of our younger lady travellers on top deck a couple of days, sunbathing topless but in a discrete spot towards the stern of the ship--also very tastefully done.:rolleyes:

We are booked on Uniworld next September and this dress thing kinda upsets me. We sail alot on Sea Dream and other lines that don't have formal nights. We like yacht or country club casual. No jackets or ties for men and bring a couple of pairs of nice pants and a few nice tops or sundresses for ladies is our thing. My DH wears a pair of khaki pants or black pants with Tommy Bahama type shirts or polos and all is good.

I would wear designer jeans, but never regular old blue jeans. I might go along with very nice bermudas but never gym shorts!

These things are not that difficult to pack. I think it is an issue of having respect for others. There are obviously a lot of people who do not have respect for any values any more.

Franski, we have cruised with Uniworld 7 times (2 more currently booked), and I agree with you 100%.

I have seen people come to dinner after late tours wearing jeans, polo shirts, etc, and it doesn't bother me at all. I usually wear khaki pants but that is for ease and comfort, not to meet a dress code. I never bring a jacket for dinner.

I learned a long time ago to enjoy myself and not to worry about what others are wearing or doing unless it adversely affects me.

Personal opinion only, I would call over enforcement of a recommended dress code draconian.

I agree..

sailing away and fred111, I was going to bow out, but the use of the phrase "over enforcement" and "adversely affect me" make me leave one last comment.

I said before I don't know what your level of comfort is, or what over enforcement is; let me, however posit t shirt(no collar), gym shorts(loose and too short), sneakers and a baseball cap on backwards(imo any cap at dinner is offensive). Not enough, how about muscle shirt and sweat shorts or pants? We can keep going but my level of discomfort was reached, obviously before yours; therefore, I don't call asking the line to politely enforce the published guidelines "over enforcement". I am sure there is a point at which both of you would feel the same way.

newlondon can sympathise with you experience. we have travelled with avalon and never seen people arrive for dinner in the attire you described.

we understand dressing is more relaxed these days but somethings are just not appropiate for dining.

sadly even sitting down to dine at a table is a strange concept for some.

i hope at least the clothing worn was clean and the diners likewise, not always a given.

try avalon next time i think you will be pleasently surprised.

GCT put this on Facebook today. I thought it was relevant to this discussion.

“Life is short, and we do not have much time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us, so be quick to love and make haste to be kind.” –Henri-Frédéric Amiel (1821–1881), Swiss philosopher and author

I've been following this thread for quite a while and it's reached the point of beating a dead horse. Let's please let this dead horse lie. Let's focus on enjoying river cruising and not on enforcing "rules" which a cruise company says are requests. If we don't like how someone is dressed, it's easy to look out at the beautiful views along the river instead.:)

pjtraveler, I'm sorry to keep this thread going in the face of your desire to shut it down. In fact Uniworld, as I have posted, sent me a nice response acknowledging that they do have a dress code and it should be politely enforced. You may look out the window all you want, but if some one doesn't want to respect your sensibilities please remember this back and forth.

I would also comment that I have been a member? of CC for 5 years, not very long, and yet I find those who try to shut down threads are too controlling.:mad:

Archived