Uniworld Dress Code

newlondon

My wife and I just finished a wonderful Grand France cruise on Uniworld. Both boats were worthy of praise, the food was excellent, and the tours were excellent. I intend to cover these subjects soon in a review. I needed to post this comment as I was selected by a group of at least 10 cruisers to express deep displeasure with Uniworld's dress code.

The intention on most river cruises is to have elegant casual for dinner. This was confirmed to me by the hotel director on the River Royale, a wonderful boat with great service, delicious food and outstanding service.

The problem is that on our recent 8/19-9/2 cruise several passengers ignored the guide lines, particularly on the second leg.

Elegant casual, for dinner, in our opinion doesn't include blue jeans of any type, but especially standard and then turned up on a woman; or loose fitting on a man.

More disturbing, however, to our group was the use of shorts by men. Bermuda shorts, ie; long with appropriate shirt, long socks and high quality shoes would fit the definition of elegant casual. What we saw was gym shorts, t-shirts and sneakers. One man, twice, looked as if he had just finished a work-out session. This is rude to fellow cruisers who have made the effort to dress appropriately.

Most distressing of all was Uniworld's response. I had a serious discussion with Patrice, the hotel director. He was a truly nice guy and helped me immensely when I made a serious error by not emptying my safe.

He told me that the head office does not encourage enforcing the dress code. I know Uniworld aspires to being an elite cruise line. In the river cruising universe I feel they are competitive but major lapses such as this really are unacceptable. We cruised with Tauck from Amsterdam to Budapest and after two nights everyone knew what was expected. At sea on our two favorite lines Silversea and Regent no one would even try a similar insult.

Uniworld-I know you read these boards. Please do something!!!

We wouldn't wear jeans to dinner but would not have a problem if they were worn by others. That is if they are not ripped, torn, frailed or bib overalls. Not that it matters but some designer jeans cost hundreds of dollars and some are very attractive.

We do have issues with shorts being worn for dinner. We think it's ok to wear for breakfast or lunch but certainly not dinner.

We wouldn't wear jeans to dinner but would not have a problem if they were worn by others. That is if they are not ripped, torn, frailed or bib overalls. Not that it matters but some designer jeans cost hundreds of dollars and some are very attractive.

We do have issues with shorts being worn for dinner. We think it's ok to wear for breakfast or lunch but certainly not dinner.

Guess I see it a bit differently... I would be more concerned if people didn't wash - or insist on coming in to the dining room right after having a smoke on the Sun deck. The jeans/shorts are out of sight below the table cloth - but the "smells" linger.

We happen to like the relaxed approach on board - and have travelled 3 times on Uniworld.

"Enforcing" a dress code seems a bit like high school to me.

Just my opinion, of course...

Fran

Franski, we have cruised with Uniworld 7 times (2 more currently booked), and I agree with you 100%.

I have seen people come to dinner after late tours wearing jeans, polo shirts, etc, and it doesn't bother me at all. I usually wear khaki pants but that is for ease and comfort, not to meet a dress code. I never bring a jacket for dinner.

I learned a long time ago to enjoy myself and not to worry about what others are wearing or doing unless it adversely affects me.

Personal opinion only, I would call over enforcement of a recommended dress code draconian.

Fred111, In your post you state "unless it adversely affects me". I guess that makes it a matter of degree; I certainly don't know what you find offensive, but there must be, I would think, a point that is too far.

DW and I as well as others with whom we dined found that point at gym attire and sneakers. Maybe for you it would be a muscle shirt or for others cut off jean shorts.

Uniworld does have a dress code for a reason; the point too far differs for all and imo, therefore, should be politely enforced.

Once again I'm amazed that the dress code opinions of the minority can be voiced in such a manner as expressed by the OP. Those "dress code violators" probably paid as much as you did for their cruise and have every right to dress as they please. For you to suppose there is some sort of enforceable dress code on a river boat cruise is both naive and arrogant. Your stated opinion that an enforceable dress code exists on a Tauck cruise is blatantly untrue. On our Tauck cruise diners arrived dressed in everything from a suit and ties to shorts and sandals and no one that I spoke to shrieked Shock! Horror! throw those peasants out of the dining room they're dressed inappropriately.

You must be so proud that around 10 other passengers out of the one hundred or so that cruised with you found such a champion of dress standards such as yourself to carry the torch on their behalf. I wonder what the vast majority thought of your "silver spoon spit" as opposed to we peasants who can only afford a common dummy.

I'm pretty sure there are many more readers of these threads who want to read a review based on the more serious components of a river cruise than what clothes someone was wearing to dinner.

I am always amazed at what upsets people on river cruises. The clothes issue always comes up on this board and on the ocean boards. Who the hell cares what another diner is wearing!!!! You aren't going to talk to them so why should it matter to you newlondon. We had a couple whose luggage didn't reach them until 1/2 way through the trip and the ship washed their things out every night so they wore the same things to every meal. My husband lent him some polo shirts to wear. We still talked to them....very nice people. I love dressing up but travel with a very casual group so I follow suit. My husband will usually not carry a blazer/jacket so we don't do formal night on the ocean ships but have never been looked down upon wearing dockers and a shirt and dressy slacks and a blouse. I think you had better stick to SilverSea and Regent if it bothers you so much. Boy at dinner I am enjoying the fabulous food and company, I am not checking what everybody is wearing and reporting them. Please tell me what you are sailing on next so I won't book that river cruise and offend you.

Ozjohnno and Cormike1 - Please let me join your little club of people who don't want to belong to or be subject to the whims of the fashion police. Good lord, the notion of making a special complaint to or having "a serious discussion" with the hotel director regarding how other passengers are dressed seems to be rather (or even wildly) excessive.

Of course, this is an echo of the preposterous discussions concerning the "appropriate" attire for the Tauck concert in Vienna, where the fashion police were, at the end of the day, simply dead wrong.

I entirely agree that it would not be suitable for passengers to show up at dinner wearing work-out gear or such; but the OP's unfortunately clear interest in imposing his fashion preferences upon other passengers is, IMNSHO, much more inappropriate than the fashion choices that he so regularly decries.

Cheers, Fred (who does not intend to take a jacket on his Tauck river cruise, irrespective of the OP's opinion thereof)

Guess I see it a bit differently... I would be more concerned if people didn't wash - or insist on coming in to the dining room right after having a smoke on the Sun deck. The jeans/shorts are out of sight below the table cloth - but the "smells" linger.

We happen to like the relaxed approach on board - and have travelled 3 times on Uniworld.

"Enforcing" a dress code seems a bit like high school to me.

Just my opinion, of course...

Fran

So true!

Nowhere does it say that Uniworld is an elite cruise line, whatever that may be.:rolleyes:

Actually Freddie the individual did show up for dinner wearing work out gear, as I have said several times; please pay attention: gym shorts, t-shirt (no collar) and sneakers imo is workout gear.

Ozjohnno, You and I have had this discussion before. I have respected your opinion, but to call me naive and arrogant, is I think disrespectful. It may be your Aussie independence, but other nationalities, or people, are entitled to their opinions. When a person signs up and pays a lot of money for an experience that is described clearly in the advertising material, I think they are entitled to expect the company to deliver. I have e-mailed Uniworld that I will not buy their product again unless there is a change in how they deal with this issue. You are mistaken about Tauck; on our cruise no one wore shorts, let alone gym gear to dinner, and there were no jeans. In Vienna the Palace Palavaccini now requires a jacket.

I'm sorry we're at odds again because I agree with you that Tauck is the best. If you discuss this issue with them you will find they are basically on my side. It is a question of respect for all.

Cormike, I had to hope that these individuals did not sit at our table as I regarded their attire as an insult to those of us that made the effort to be elegant casual rather than sloppy comfortable; you can choose which you prefer. I don't expect to wear a jacket on our next Regent cruise, but I will have it along so it's available if a party is organized that needs it. I would also comment that if they are such fabulous company, what prevents them from respecting what has been asked for and expected by the vast majority. Are they so unique they can thumb their noses at the rest of us?

Funniest thread I have ever read.

Solution: Uniworld should mark the tables. Some for people who care about what people look like and some for people who care about who people really are.

Tables # 2 for us.

Cb

Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all agreed on everything????

We, too, belong to the "I'd really rather wear shorts to dinner" club. We were recently on Uniworld. I did see a few men wear jeans to dinner and maybe shorts, once. My husband did wear slacks and a decent shirt. I wore nice capris sometimes but so did other women. Rest of the time I wore slacks.

I think we can make a compromise here. No one sees what you're wearing when you're sitting down - so - how about just wearing a very nice shirt??

And who cares what's below the waist - shorts or jeans - because no one sees it while you're eating!

That should make everyone happy!!! :rolleyes:

We travel a lot and it seems that more & more people would prefer to dress "down". It makes life easier especially when you are on a long trip and can only bring a 50 lb. suitcase with you! If my husband brings a suit, belt, tie, 2 dress shirts, black socks and his size 15 shoes - there goes his weight allowance for the whole month!!! Well, almost!!! :D

Uh Oh - I know I'm gonna be slammed shortly! Just thought I'd add some comedy to this discussion!!! Sooo - don't yell at me! We all just have to realize that we all don't think alike and what one prefers, others don't. So - just go to dinner with people you enjoy. Don't worry what people are wearing at the next table. Just don't worry about the small things in life. We are all soooooo very lucky that we can afford all this traveling around the world. If someone likes to dress up or doesn't like to dress up - it doesn't matter in the scheme of life!

I have also sailed on Uniworld and it was the best. There will be people onboard that really dont care what other people think about what they wear, as well as drunks, loud talkers, kids, etc. My last trip I sat at a table the first night with a snob and his botoxed wife, hated the company but from then on we had a great time and met fantastic people. We all have to get along and enjoy your own holiday and not let the antics of others impact on your enjoyment. Most people understand the concept of casual and will abide by it. Live and let live. Life is too short. and finally mind your own business

So glad that there are people out there with a sense of humor like Fran and Fairfield nana. We were on one of the first cruises of the Royale in 2006--can't believe it was that long ago!!!!!! It was summer and VERY hot. While most wore country club casual in the evening---dress went from one end of the spectrum to the other and at the same meal. A few Aussies were in long formals and then there was the couple in shorts. Didn't make our dinner less pleasant. As someone said, when you are sitting, can't tell the type of dress under the table. Pat

As someone said, when you are sitting, can't tell the type of dress under the table. Pat

Pat - this is the argument at my house...

My rules are you must wear a shirt to the table, and all hats must be removed. No flex here - and I will ask my son's friends to remove their hats if they sit down.

So - there have been a number of times that my kids have come to the table in their boxers, or PJ pants... Their response - when I raise an eye brow - is to remind me the rule is "have to wear a shirt"...

I have learned to pick my battles....:D

Fran

If you want to hear a real funny story ---- We were on a Med cruise several years ago and got to know our waitress fairly well. She told us that some time before the ship had been totally reserved by a group that was "clothing optional."

She said that before the cruise they had a class for the wait staff on how to put napkins on peoples laps at dinner.

Think about it!!!!

Wonder if anyone complained about people at dinner wearing shorts?

I wore a suit and tie to work for 20 years. And I do not look forward to wearing one again.

When I am on a cruise I am on vacation, and will not bring a suit with me. I will dress nicely for dinner, if its jeans, thats what it will be.

I would not come to dinner in shorts, or work-out gear.

But if you expect me to dress up for meals, I will not.

If the cruise ship requires me to do so, I will choose a different cruise ship.

I appreciate this posting, I have not been so amused over sillyness for a while. Thanks for everyones postings.:cool:

Wow!

My partner & i are planning our first river cruise, and I asked in another thread about the dress code. Partner abhors dressing up, and simply refuses to wear a necktie/suit unless he is forced by society to do so.

So, I asked the experienced cruisers here about what most of the men wear at dinner and was assured that a shirt and khakis was totally acceptable.

He would not wear his "workout" clothes to dinner, but the gist of the matter is that we had hoped that this type of a cruise is more casual in nature than say the stuffiness of say a Silversea's cruise. Also we had hoped that the type of passenger on board is more interested in things of a historical, intellectual, or cultural nature than one who worries about fellow passenger's clothing.

We certainly do not want a "Carnival" type atmosphere of partying & drinking, nor the complete opposite as well.

You will have no problem mermaid72, Uniworld is definitely not a Carnival!

My problem is that some people chose to ignore an already casual dress code by wearing gym clothes and blue jeans(not designer). I have posted very favorable reviews in the member review section. Enjoy your cruise.

If you want to hear a real funny story ---- We were on a Med cruise several years ago and got to know our waitress fairly well. She told us that some time before the ship had been totally reserved by a group that was "clothing optional."

She said that before the cruise they had a class for the wait staff on how to put napkins on peoples laps at dinner.

Think about it!!!!

Wonder if anyone complained about people at dinner wearing shorts?

Ok - laughed at this - just the visual of the wait staff trying to put napkins on laps - without looking, or touching the merchandise below... :D

But then another thought entered my mind - what about the chairs that these people sat on in the dining room... do you think the cruise line put plastic covers on the chairs so they could be easily wiped down? Or, were the next group of passengers sitting on the cloth seats that these "back to nature" cruisers used au natural???

My only comment here... eeeewww.... :eek:

Fran

Archived