CL (LOS) - what do they serve?

kymbakitty

I am still trying to figure out if we will go the CL on a cruise on the LOS in October.

The older I get, the less I drink, and the more it has to be worth it (calorie-wise)--ha!

Does anyone know if they serve decent beer (Bass/Grolsch) or good cab? I've been passing on the likes of Copperidge and others in that same category for many years. Life is too short to drink awful wine.

I'm thinking it can go either way....they can serve half way decent stuff because it is the folks that paid the extra $$ for suites, OR....they can serve very low level alcohol because it is FREE and regardless of how cheap the wine/beer is, it still cost $$.

Personally, I can't imagine what a Conceirge can do for us...we've traveled to many countries and stayed in some pretty awesome properties (thanks for Marriott/Hilton points), and I don't think I ever had a conceirge do anything for us except once in Vienna when he got us tickets to a concert that was sold out. But what a Conceirge does for someone on a cruise is beyond me (but having a conceirge and a CL is new for us on a cruise anyway). We make our own tour excursions, don't think I need anyone to pick up a phone for me and make reservation for restaurant...pretty sure we can handle that. We are actually very low maintenance, so I promise we won't be taking up any time he/she has for the other guests!

DH doesn't drink alcohol, but likes Ginger Ale (does not like the "homemade" version made by bartenders).

The last time we were in an OS was on the Grandeur many years ago...and they did not have a CL then. I hope it is as nice as some of the executive lounges that the hotels have, but that would be hard to pull off. I have already read that the really nice lounge is the DL, not the CL (on the LOS anyway).

Thank you!

Dawn

The only "monetary" value of the CL is the "free" drinks...I don't think they serve any "high end" beers....and I'm not a wine drinker on ships...overpriced! We generally make our reservations/plans BEFORE getting on the ship, so waiting to have the concierge do it seems silly, to me. But, if there's some arrangement you can't make, they will assist you.

You don't HAVE to utilize the CL if you don't want to....totally up to you!

We had an owners suite on the liberty in 2010. Our first experience with a concierge. Personally, there was nothing a concierge did for us. Having been on cruises before I knew how to book shows and excursions etc. In fact, I understand there were phones that were available for use onboard and he never said anyhing about it. We used our cellphones onboard. The only reason we find out about the phones was that he used to leave these longwinded lengthy recorded messages on the phone and on the, last day he said that anyone who he has lent phones to should return them to him the last morning. Lots of people were at his desk regularly but we did notice that he paid lots of attention to the royal suite guests who were the family of a sports figure. My feeling is that you pay for the space. Whether you choose to use the perks of the cl is up to you. We did give him a gratuity of $40 at the end just because we thought it was the thing to do.

The beers are the common brands (Bud, Miller etc) and the wine exlusively La Terre (reds. white zinfandel is usually Beringer). You may enjoy the hors d'oeuvres and company. The champagne served is just so so as well. Specialty coffees are available self-serve throughout the day. Enjoy!

I forgot about the coffee. I like an occasional latte so that may be the only perk that I can see.

I don't know if there are sodas available, but DH is a Pepsi fan....not Coke. He'll have water if they only serve Coke. Frankly, I can't tell that much of a difference, but he sure can.

Thanks for the info.

:-)

Archived