Don't Shoot!!! Another Costa Maya Question

Wondering if Costa Maya is really worth getting off the ship? Is it mostly a beach and booze stop? We are travelling with our 6 yo DD on Jewel for the 6 night Western. We have planned a big day in Cozumel (Dolphin Discovery and Chankanaab) and wanted to do Seven Mile Beach in Georgetown. DH would love to do the ruins with Ivan but I don't know how well that will go over with a 6 yo.I am thinking of just taking our time getting off the ship and checking out the shopping (which I hear is minimal) and just taking a look. We really are not big drinkers and we are very white and burn quickly so I don't want to be out in the sun without an umbrella or other shade for too long. It doesn't seem like there is a lot to do there besides the beach. Hoping someone can help.

Thanks,

Veronica

You can take a taxi ($5 round trip) to the village of Mahahual. There are several places along the beach where you can get food and drinks and still sit in the shade. Think of it as a Cornona commercial type of place. Also, some of the crafts stalls sell some very nice things at cheaper prices than in the Costa Maya tourist area.

The little town is the place to go ... to putz around and sit on the beach and have a beer. They also have schnorkeling excursions, banana boats, etc., in the village.

Where the ships dock, the big long strip mall, isn't all that great, relatively.

We heard the ruins were OK, but didn't do it.

I wasn't expecting much either from that stop. In fact, we almost

didn't get off the ship. We ended up walking around the shops and

it was actually pretty cool. BF got a massage under a tent while

listening to the ocean waves. There were hammocks and chairs

available (free). I wished I had worn my suit so I could have really

enjoyed the ocean or the pool. We bought some pottery from one

of the shops and I'm looking at it right now in my office. Don't count

this stop out. I'm looking forward to going back.

Cat Girl

DW and I just returned from there. We took the all-terrain vehicle tour that drove down the coastline for an hour, then spent 1 1/2 hours on a private beach before driving back. The private beach had restrooms and a large covered pavailion (meaning lots of shade) with tables and chairs for free snacks/drinks. You could also swim, snorkle or Kayak or just take a walk down the beach for 15-20 minutes. Very pleasant morning.

We were in Costa Maya in February and we did the dune buggy excursion through RC. My kids are a little older (14 and 12) but it was four to a dune buggy and you stopped in Mahahual for about 15 minutes and then continued driving out to a private beach. We spent about and hour 1/2 at the beach and then headed home. We had time to shop before this excursion and I thought that some of the prices were a little higher and they are always willing to bargain. I also noticed that you could get pretty much the same thing in Cozumel for 1/2 the price. They do have a really nice pool in the shopping area but other than that and the beach there really isn't anything to do unless you do an excursion.

We went to the Chaccoben (sp?) ruins and thought that was very interesting. Maybe not so much for a six year old though. I would get off the ship at least for a little bit. The pool is nice and there are shops and restaurants and a beach area. I found Costa Maya to be alot nicer than I thought it would be. Have fun.

We were in Costa Maya in January. We took the $5 taxi to the village and then hired a taxi to take us to the ruins. Very good!!!! On the way back we stopped at the Monkey Farm. They run on donations and there are monkeys running around and more in the jungle to see. If you go to the monkey farm........make sure you bring insect repellent. The mosquitos are awful.

Are you people serious about telling this poster to go to that run down little village town? The place is a dump, and I am not sure what kind of shopping you are refering to except for a few other run down shacks. If you want my honest opinion, take your time getting off the ship, stay by the little shopping area, have a drink in the swim up bar, your child could wade in the pool. Do not, repeat do not go to Mahahual. If for some reason you glitch out and just have to, go get in line for one of those run down cabs, that should sway you back to the ship. Sorry to be so forward,but remember my login, you will thank me later.

Gonna have to disagree with Rolloman. The village is "run down" or simple if you prefer. the people are friendly, not overly pushy and so far the cruise lines have not created a tourist monster. I found the run down little town very relaxing, we walked down to Pez Quadro, the bar toward the end, sat in some nice lounge chairs on the beach, had an awesome 30 minute massage for 30 bucks, had $2 Sols, hung at the restaurant/pool at the pier - the pool would be great for a 6 year old to do some swimming and there are many shaded areas there. I had not been looking forward to this port either but found it to be a nice relaxing peaceful day.

Sorry to hear your stopping at CM..... been there .... done that..... wouldn't buy a cruise that stops there again. We did the dune buggy tour ... it should have been named the doom buggy tour.... very sad.... not exactly what I wanted to see on vacation. One would like to think that money spent would help the situation there , but I doubt a penny on the dollar stays in the area. Also read it was a maleria risk....... For what it's worth , just my opinion.

I don't know if it's still done...but alot of people take backpacks of school supplies to give to the poverty stricken people on the island. You should check out the Costa Maya link where there is more info.

I would rather spend $20 on a $10 piece of pottery here to help the village than getting it half price in a tourist trap.

It may not be the most beautiful port..but it does remind you how the other half live (and not by choice ).

Costa Maya was my favorite stop!!! Tapas bar in Mahahual is lots of fun...beautiful beach and 2.00 coronas! I thought it was clean, friendly and fun!Our 6and 9 year old dd's loved the beach and swam all day.

I know for sure that I do not want to spend 4 grand on a cruise to a poverty stricken area again. Again I will state the simple little shopping area right off the ship is nice and new and can be an hours worth of fun, taking a cab on to a dirt road shack laden village where stray dogs are roaming the area, and taking that journey in a cab that is belching smoke and has interior eatin away is not my cup of tea. But as you can see some people who are starved for entertainment will risk life and limb to save .50 cents on a nasty tasting corona in a dirty bottle. The origional poster asked the question if she should take a 6 year old to the dirty village and my answer is still no way.

P.S. good point about the maleria too, that is also a factual point.

We are considering another cruise that will stop in Costa Maya, because we loved it so much last April. We shopped a bit and hubby enjoyed a few Sol beers. We did the beach snorkel through RCCL and it was wonderful. We saw a lot of coral formations and different multicolored fish, and it was so awesome that after we returned, my husband took classes and was certified to scuba dive (which he did in Cozumel this year). After our excursion in Costa Maya, we walked out onto the rocks near the beach area, and we got some excellent video tape of "tidal pools" that were filled with coral and interesting, beautiful fish. The "touristy" area is quite colorful and the shop owners are definitely willing to barter. We personally liked Costa Maya a lot due to it NOT being overly-commercialized or over-developed. We definitely want to go there again; we are planning a cruise next April and thinking of taking our two girls along...we hope to get back there before it gets too commercialized!

On another note, when we were planning for our cruise last month, I had seriously looked at the Grandeur cruise for the same week, and finally decided on the Rhapsody. (Even though it didn't include Costa Maya, we loved the Rhapsody and the whole cruise was wonderful). Anyway, we would have had an extra day in Costa Maya if we had gone on the Grandeur, since they "bumped" the pier there!

Our recommendation is to definitely see the sights in Costa Maya. There are good things to see and do there, and you and your children should have a very enjoyable day!

--Susan

I know for sure that I do not want to spend 4 grand on a cruise to a poverty stricken area again. Again I will state the simple little shopping area right off the ship is nice and new and can be an hours worth of fun, taking a cab on to a dirt road shack laden village where stray dogs are roaming the area, and taking that journey in a cab that is belching smoke and has interior eatin away is not my cup of tea. But as you can see some people who are starved for entertainment will risk life and limb to save .50 cents on a nasty tasting corona in a dirty bottle. The origional poster asked the question if she should take a 6 year old to the dirty village and my answer is still no way.

P.S. good point about the maleria too, that is also a factual point.

I would hardly say that we were "starved for entertainment"! Yes, it's a lot different than home. Not everyone lives in the suburbs. We found it quaint and different. We did our research before venturing into Mahahual and didn't go there wearing rose colored glasses. It obviously isn't for everyone, but if you want to experience a little bit of the real Mexico, this will do the trick. BTW, our Corona's tasted like any other Coronas and didn't come in a dirty bottle. No malaria, no risking our lives. Just a beautiful day on a beautiful beach away from the usual overcrowded tourist area. And the Mexican people were quite friendly and unobtrusive. It was a wonderful day and experience!

I was in Costa Maya on Splendour of the Seas the day before Grandeur ran into the pier! I went on the Chacchoben Ruins tour with Ivan and David, and it was GREAT! However, two young boys who were in our group grew tired of it halfway through, so it depends on the maturity of your child.

Yes, Mahahual is a very poor area, as is much of Mexico and Central America. I personally think it's good for "wealthy North Americans" (by the world's standards) to be reminded that not all of the world lives as we do.

I can assure you I have seen my share of poverty stricken countries as I was in the Navy for 5 years. I also believe strongly in not spending my hard earned cash going to a poverty stricken area when I am trying to vacation. As for the lady who recommended bringing a backpack full of supplies, they have charitable organizations you can volunteer for that will only cost you only your time versus hauling around supplies on a luxury cruise ship that was not designed for your humaniterian visits. I have an even better idea, why dont we concentrate on the poverty stricken areas in America to send supplies to, no backpack needed. As for all of Mexico being some poverty ridden country I think the vast majority of Mexicans will find that insulting as Mexico has some beautiful Cities and infrustructure, just as the USA has poverty stricken areas and also beautiful Cities and infrustructure. This thread is starting to get off the point. The point is Majahual is not a vacation spot, and no one in their right mind can call it that. Costa Maya and its new shopping circle/pool is improving each day and is worthy of a visit to stretch the 6 year olds legs.

As one poster puts at the end of their posts..if I may borrow...

20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails, explore, dream, discover.

Have fun,

Scoop

Archived