11 years ago today... where were you?

hannahsmomtoo

11 years ago today I was sitting on my couch, watching the horror on the television, with my (then ) 2 year old asleep on my chest..wondering how I would ever explain such things as this to her..

Today I remember the victims, their families and the heroes.

Where were you?

At work taking a class. I will never forgot that day...unbelievable.

I was at work and noticed everyone was packed into the meeting room that had a TV and everyone was watching it all unfold.

That was the first time I ever heard Osama bin Laden's name. One of the secretary's said he was responsible.

Finally the bosses told everyone to go home, the company shut down for the day.

Went to our local park that night for a candlelight vigil.

11 years ago today I was sitting on my couch, watching the horror on the television, with my (then ) 2 year old asleep on my chest..wondering how I would ever explain such things as this to her..

Today I remember the victims, their families and the heroes.

Where were you?

About to go to my OB/GYN appointment (DS was born in December of that year) and my mom called me to tell me about the plane hitting the building and we were all stressed out because my SIL worked in the North Tower. It was truly a horrible day and we couldn't get through to my brother. He eventually called a little after 11 that evening. SIL made it out but lost many friends that day. Even though it happened 11 years ago, it still hurts.

Working. I had just walked into the office, past several coworkers that were standing around someones cubic listening to a radio. I didn't pay any attention - just went to my office, unpacked my laptop and began working. Then our receptionist came into my office and said "Sarah, do you know what is happening?" I said no, something up? And when she told me I couldn't get on the phone quick enough to call my husband. He travels a lot, my (now business partner) was also supposed to be flying into Washington that day so didn't know where she was either. Finally getting throught to my husband, thankfully not flying, he informed me that Dar was fine but stuck stateside as the borders were closed. He atleast had the smarts to immediately book her and her husband a hotel room when he heard what was going on.

I think we can all agree, as long as we live, we will always remember what we were doing 11yrs ago today. Tragic.

Flying home from Paris on Air France. We landed in Halifax and no one (including the pilot) knew why. With only a few cells phones on the plane, we got our information in bits and inaccurate pieces. The people of Halifax took great care of all of us for the days we were there. I didn't get home until Saturday morning. Someone started singing "America" as the plane landed and everyone was crying.

I was living in San Francisco and just getting up and dressed to go to work when my sister called to make sure I was home and ok. I had been in NYC the week before on vacation (and had visited the WTC) and she wasn't sure which week I was going to be there (I got home the previous Sunday). I turned on the tv and just sat there - stunned. Of course, I didn't go to work - downtown SF was shut down, like every place else. I spent the day watching tv and being online checking in with far away friends. I didn't lose anyone that day, but the wife of a fellow employee was in the plane that hit the Pentagon.

I was watching the news when they had breaking news live from Chopper 12. " A plane just hit the world trade center tower" You could see the hole and smoke. Then the second plane hit and comentator Doug Geed said Did we get that live Oh my god this is no accident. I had tears in my eyes for days after.

I had just gotten to my mothers home to pick up our oldest DS who was 3 1/2 at the time, he was sick and we didn't want his brother to catch what he had. I walked in the front door and my mom told me what happened. I thought it was just one plane, just a terrible accident. Then when I was in her driveway putting my son in his car seat, she came on the porch and said another plane had just hit. I thought ok, maybe this was another terrible accident, maybe there was so much smoke, the pilot couldn't see. So I took my son out of the car, and went back in. That is when I heard them say terrorism.

I rushed my son to his dr appt as we were going to be late. As we sat in the room, his pediatrician came in and said the Pentagon had just been hit. All I could think at that time, is I want to go home and hold both my babies. Our oldest was dognosed with asthma that day, I had to wait for him to have a breathing treatment. The pediatrician came in and told me the first tower had fallen.

While at the drug store drive through, I turned on the radio and heard about the plane crash in Pennsylvania.

It is just so sad. Our oldest DS watches all the news shows he can. My heart goes out to everyone who lost a family member or friend that day.

I was sitting at my desk here at work. A co-worker walked in and said that one of the Trade Tower buildings was on fire and they believe either a small commuter plane or traffic copter crashed into the North Tower. My husband called to tell me that radio reports a plane crashed into the tower. I told him I was going to our 17th floor window conference room that overlooks New York City. From there, I saw smoke coming from the top of the North Tower. I was there with a few co-workers when we saw a second plane come low and slam into the South Tower.

I ran back to my desk and tried to get on the internet but it was overloaded and giving error messages. I tried to make phone calls, on both regular and cell phone lines, but everything was down, dead.

Then, all of a sudden, a Senior Partner came SCREAMING down the hall. He is a very reserved, private, quiet man that I have known for years, since I started working here ran down the halls screaming EVERYONE GET OUT OF THE BUILDING NOW! GET OUT NOW! LEAVE IMMEDIATELY! THE WTC BUILDING HAS FALLEN!

I grabbed my stuff and ran quickly down 17 flights of stairs but when I got outside I didn't know where to go. I couldn't contact anyone from my van pool. I saw someone I knew and he said, Come with me! Take the bus home! We ran together to Penn Station and stood on line with many, many other people waiting for the next bus out. The streets were crowded with people running around and bumper-to-bumper traffic. We stood there for at least 1/2 hour 45 minutes when FBI agents ran through and said LEAVE THE BUILDING, THERE HAS BEEN A BOMB THREAT! So I ran outside and across the street. I heard my name called and found the guy I was waiting for the bus with. He's screaming to me, There's the bus - get on it! I ran to the bus, we packed as many people as we could and left. The bus driver said we were lucky, she was the last bus out before they shut the tunnel down.

The bus was sooo crowded. There was a guy sitting near me with an internet access cellphone. He announced loudly to everyone on the bus that two planes also crashed, one into the Pentagon and another in a field in Pennsylvania. I finally got through on the cellphone to my Dad in another area code, telling him that I was ok and on my way home. Once we got the Turnpike, I looked over and saw the smoke from the Towers. At that point, I still didn't know that both towers had fallen too. I learned that when I got home, 6 hours after I left the office.

I was in surgery - not mine, a dog's. I was a veterinary assistant. Tuesday and Wednesday mornings were surgery hours. We didn't have a TV or internet at the animal hospital. Just a little radio in the office. The receptionist came into the OR and told Doc and me of the first reports, then kept coming back with more and more horrible updates.

We couldn't (and Doc wouldn't) stop the surgeries. We just kept going through all of them, and I had to maintain clear-headed professionalism for the animals' sakes, while my mind was reeling.

My sister and BIL live on Capitol Hill in D.C. And we started getting reports that the Capitol Building as well as the Pentagon had been hit. Between surgeries, I ran outside to try to call my sister. All the cell lines were jammed. I couldn't get through until hours later.

It was all so surreal. Horrible.

I'll never forget. I pray for the friends and families of the fallen. And I pray for God to bless the U.S.A.

I was at school with some other teachers. Our principal walked in and said, "A plane has hit the World Trade Center Towers." We just stared at him. It was impossible for us to understand what he meant so he went to go get a TV. Soon, we were all mesmerized by what we were seeing. It seemed like something out of a movie. We were watching live when the 2nd plane hit.

I have never forgotten that day--all the brave firemen, firefighters, paramedics, nurses. All the people helping others without thought of themselves or their own comfort. It was wonderful how it brought out so much good from so many people. I was truly proud of America, my native land, that day. I will never forget.....

I'd just gotten out of the shower and saw the Today show reporting on the first plane hitting the tower. I sat down to watch and saw the second plane heading toward the towers. There was a moment where I had this crazy, hopeful thought that the plane was going to land on top of the burning tower to save all the people trapped there. Then it hit, and I'll never forget that feeling as long as I live.

My fiancé picked me up and we spent the day watching everything unfold at his house. It was kinda spooky, at the time he lived directly in the runway path of TF Green airport and there were constantly planes flying over but it was silent for days.

I was off that day. Still dozing in and out as my wife was getting ready to go to work and she had the TV on. She woke me up to say something was going on in New York. I woke up and was watching as I sat on the edge of the bed. Listening to I think Matt Lauer as the 2nd plane hit. Literally could not believe what was happening. As much as I wanted to turn the tv off that day, I couldnt. My wife went on to work and took a little portable tv with her. I was on the phone with her and other family and friends all day as we watched it all unfold and the confusion of it all.

Also remember the comfort and unity I felt from going to church that week, more than I ever have before or since.

Remember as well, how President Bush handled this....I believe he was truely the right man in the right position for the weeks following this horrific event.

I lift up my prayers for ALL those involved in this, both allies and perceived enemies.

I was at work on the waterfront in NJ (Jersey City) watching it all unfold live. I saw people covered in soot walk past me (they were ferried from NY) and since I could not go anywhere (no trains or highway traffic), I went to a nearby hotel and watched it on TV in the lobby with others who were near ground zero and were ferried to NJ. Bought a few college kids lunch since they had no money and allowed some people to use my phone since I had a signal (most didnt).

It was very surreal

I had just got home from midnight shift at United Airlines in Indy, was laid off shortly after and still trying to rebuild 11 years later, I still tear up badly every day thinking about it, just thankful to be alive and working in this terrible economy.

It will get better but you can keep the "change"

I was on my way to board a plane to go to St. Louis for a conference. My co-workers called us and stopped us just before we got to the airport and told us to pull over and turn on the radio. They said that a plane had just hit the WTC. We thought they were just trying to scare on of the other ladies that was with me because she was afraid of flying. We stopped and I called my mom and she was in a panic, wanting me to come home right NOW! We had about a 4 hour drive to get home and when I got there, my poor son RAN to the house after school! He had been in class when it all happened and panicked! He told the teacher he had to go use the phone. The teacher would not let him, and he told her that his Mom was on a plane. He did not realize we had not flown out yet. She let him call my Mom and she told him that I was fine and was on my way back home. He ran in the house and grabbed me and hugged me like he would never let go! We sat together on the couch and watched the tragedy on television!

i had just got home from midnight shift at united airlines in indy, was laid off shortly after and still trying to rebuild 11 years later, i still tear up badly every day thinking about it, just thankful to be alive and working in this terrible economy.

it will get better but you can keep the "change"

love it!

At the time I was working for a firm on Long Island. I was driving to work and listening to the radio. The DJ was interviewing a man who had seen the first plane hit. The second plane hit during the interview. Got to work and watched it all on tv.

My younger daughter was in 4th grade. The social studies curriculum that year was NY State. The cover of her textbook had a huge photo of the towers. She made sure that book was covered, she couldn't look at the picture.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Archived