Specialty Coffee

FrenchPeach

is the premium cofffee price worth it if you love good coffee?

Try the free coffee first; some like it just fine. If the free coffee doesn't appeal to you, then purchase a premium and see if you find it considerably better.

I am a coffee snob.

I love the espresso based coffee from Cafe Bacio.

Coffee in the buffet is bearly tolerable. The Coffee in MDR and room service in the early morning is slightly better.

So in the morning I go and get take out from Cafe Bacio and bring it back to my stateroom.

Ok, so I only drink coffee...I love coffee!!!!!! GOOD fresh bean coffee with a couple shots of espresso, and occasionally a Cafe Americano (espresso and water).....I love to drink coffee on a cruise. Way more than booze. Well, ok, I like booze sometimes, but the older I get, the less I really need....and since it's just going to be my husband and me, we really don't drink a lot together if we aren't with friends.

I don't ever drink soda, or fruity frilly frozen drinks, or juice, or beer, or mixed drinks

..Just really good coffee, twice a day, morning and afternoon, and then maybe an espresso after dinner.

On our past cruises, we like to have a glass of wine with dinner. On Princess, we would always bring the two permitted good bottles of wine on board. And when they ran out, we'd have a glass each with dinner from the wine list. (We also had me: Canadian Club manhattan and him: Hendrick's Gin martini each evening before dinner, in a cigar bar.)

Last cruise on Princess, one-week, between my husband and myself we spent under $300.00 total, and that included some souveneirs, I think. It also didn't include any of the specialty coffee I drank, because Princess has their specialty coffee cards, which we always buy.

So, the point to my rambling is: Is there any kind of package for us?

is the premium cofffee price worth it if you love good coffee?

I would say yes! What I did, which my DW thought of, is to go to the café and order an espresso. Taste it before paying. If you like it, ask to pay for the drink package instead. That way if you don't line it, you are out only $3, but if you like it, that $3 goes towards the package :-)

I spent enough time at Café Al Bacio that the barista knew me by name. That impresses me for crew that have 2000 passengers a week.

And if it gives me any credibility, I do have an espresso machine at home and buy roasted-to-order beans. Or maybe it makes me sound pretentious?

I would say yes! What I did, which my DW thought of, is to go to the café and order an espresso. Taste it before paying. If you like it, ask to pay for the drink package instead. That way if you don't line it, you are out only $3, but if you like it, that $3 goes towards the package :-)

I spent enough time at Café Al Bacio that the barista knew me by name. That impresses me for crew that have 2000 passengers a week.

And if it gives me any credibility, I do have an espresso machine at home and buy roasted-to-order beans. Or maybe it makes me sound pretentious?

That makes you extremely cool in my book. ;)

For normal coffee, on Silhouette, I found the MDR and buffet brews undrinkable. The machines in the Aquaspa cafe and Hideaway are much better. I filled their "takeaway" cups with lids and then took it to the buffet.

I then managed without a drinks package, as just buying speciality brews on occasion rather than every time I was thirsty worked out much cheaper.

I am not a coffee snob, but even I think the free coffee onboard is pretty awful. I've tried a few lattes here and there and frankly was not too impressed with them either. So the idea of trying out a specialty coffee before buying the expensive drink package is a good one. You may find that it just is not worth it (or you might - maybe the other options are better than the lattes). But if you don't drink much besides coffee, it might still be cheaper to pay by the cup rather than a package - depends on how many you drink

Archived