Is London, 9 day Baltics cruise and Paris too much?

Millenia98

We want to do London and Paris along with a 9 day out of Copenhagen (only have 2 weeks before the corporate world comes knocking). B/c the cruise leaves on a Tuesday, it would force us to do one city before the cruise, and the other city after the cruise (2.5-3 days in each city before/after). I’ve done the research and the fastest way to and from Copenhagen to London/Paris is flying.

Is this too much work? NYC to London > London flight to Copenhagen > cruise > Copenhagen flight to Paris > Paris to NYC. We’re very active/willing to do all of this, but I’m wondering if it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’d think going to Paris and London are worth a ton. But has anyone done this kind of jumping around? The only alternative is downgrading to a 7-day cruise. We’re not planning to be back in Europe for some time.

where are you coming from?

if you're crossing the Atlantic with high air fares I would want to stay/do as much as possible!

The Baltics is very intensive with lots of time changes-be prepared for your body clock to be off

Yep, crossing the Atlantic. Coming from New York.

We just did a 9 day Baltic cruise in June. We flew from LA to London and spent a few days there before flying to Copenhagen. After the cruise we stayed in Copenhagen a few days and then flew to London and LAX. As long as you are already in Europe, make the most of it.

You certainly can do the route you've chosen. It won't be very difficult since the flights to and from copenhagen are approximately 2 hours.

I agree with you that you will want to see as much as possible in the limited time that you have. Two nights in London will ease you into the new time zone.

It might be very expensive with the airline tickets though. One thing to keep in mind- you pay for checked luggage on most small European flights and some airlines have weight limits (26 pounds) on checked bags.

I am not discouraging you from your plan- but you may want to just do the land portion first and then fly directly home from Copenhagen. This would cut down the flights to three instead of 4. You can do the chunnel from London- Paris. Then fly from Paris to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to JFK.

You certainly can do the route you've chosen. It won't be very difficult since the flights to and from copenhagen are approximately 2 hours.

I agree with you that you will want to see as much as possible in the limited time that you have. Two nights in London will ease you into the new time zone.

It might be very expensive with the airline tickets though. One thing to keep in mind- you pay for checked luggage on most small European flights and some airlines have weight limits (26 pounds) on checked bags.

I am not discouraging you from your plan- but you may want to just do the land portion first and then fly directly home from Copenhagen. This would cut down the flights to three instead of 4. You can do the chunnel from London- Paris. Then fly from Paris to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to JFK.

Thanks!! :) Our schedule doesn’t allow enough time for two cities pre-cruise. We only have two weeks, and the 9-day cruise being mid-week cuts the schedule right in the middle.

If $$ doesn't stop you - then I'd say "go for it!"

It'd give you at least a little "taste" for London & Paris - I'm presuming this is a first time for you for both cities! You could never see all of either city but a "taste" is better than nothing!

Another suggestion would be to fly NYC to either London or Paris - then to Copenhagen - curise and stay in Copenhagen a few days. (Or do the reverse so you spend your adjustment time in Copenhagen.) We were only in Copenhagen for a day during a Baltic Cruise but seemed like a great city for a few-days visit.

The Baltic Cruise is intensive but not impossible - and you can go back to work and "recover" + have priceless memories!!!!

I'm with you with making the most of the $$ spent on transportation! We usually add as much as possible pre/post cruise but then retirement time helps!!

Whatever you decide - have a fabulous time!!!

We want to do London and Paris along with a 9 day out of Copenhagen (only have 2 weeks before the corporate world comes knocking). B/c the cruise leaves on a Tuesday, it would force us to do one city before the cruise, and the other city after the cruise (2.5-3 days in each city before/after). Because this cruise begins on a Tuesday, it forces us to schedule it this way. I’ve done the research and the fastest way to and from Copenhagen to London/Paris is flying. Is this too much work? NYC to London > London flight to Copenhagen > cruise > Copenhagen flight to Paris > Paris to NYC. We’re very active/willing to do all of this, but I’m wondering if it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’d think going to Paris and London are worth a ton. But has anyone done this kind of jumping around? The only alternative is downgrading to a 7-day cruise. We’re not planning to be back in Europe for some time.

Agree very much!! This can be a super wonderful plan. Since you are doing a cruise out of Copenhagen, the rail connection idea does not work as well to get there as it could if your sailing went from Amsterdam. Personally, I super love Copenhagen and its handy location to the main Baltics ports!! Plus, Paris and London are spectacular, too!! All great places.

If you're having fun and being stimulated (as ALL of these locations will do), it makes things flow and work well. You'll get a wonderful "energy" from these varied and great locations. You won't feel tired or bored!!

Below are a few more of my photo options for Paris to get you prepared and excited for doing this fun adventures there. Need more Paris visuals and details/options? Can share lots and lots as you need it!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,132 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,165 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Looking at Notre Dame, this angle shows the flying buttresses supporting the walls:

ParNtDmFlyingBt.jpg

Inside the d”Orsay Museum with post-1850’s art, an old train station was converted to housing treasures, including from Monet, van Gogh, Renoir, etc.:

ParDOrsyInside.jpg

The Eiffel Tower with a statute in the foreground. This picture is from the Trocadéro, site of the Palais de Chaillot, that provides a great view of the Eiffel Tower and these scenic parts of Paris.:

EilfelStatue.jpg

One of Paris’ most historic and spectacular dining rooms is at Le Grande Colbert. It is near the Palais Royale gardens. Part of the Jack Nicholson-Diane Keaton film "Something's Gotta Give” was filmed there. It is named for Louis XIV’s famed minister.:

ParisColbertRest.jpg

Also on the interesting ille St. Louis island, here is the exterior (with a line) for great ice cream at Berthillon and its interior to be served such frozen treats. In addition, here are two pictures of famed dining places on the main walking street of this historic island in the heart of Paris.:

ParisIleStLouisBerthillonExterior.jpg

ParisIleStLouisBerthillonInterior.jpg

Perfect! So I guess no one considers it to be too much jumping around given the amazing cities and infrequent opportunities for such things. lol! :)

I would spend more days in Paris than I would in London (not a huge fan). I couldn't tell if you had more time before or after the cruise. But that would be my only suggestion and I'm sure others will disagree. Have a great tip whether or not you take my advice on Paris. :cool:

I would spend more days in Paris than I would in London (not a huge fan). I couldn't tell if you had more time before or after the cruise. But that would be my only suggestion and I'm sure others will disagree. Have a great tip whether or not you take my advice on Paris. :cool:

oh wow. Please do tell. Why weren't you a fan of London? I'm afraid I won't be a huge fan either (just a tad afraid). Why? B/c I'm sick of Manhattan and the hustle and the gloomy rushed dirty big city. But maybe that's just me being whiny about NYC as usual. lol!

No I'm inclined to agree that Paris is better than London but there is no sense in doing less than 2 nights in London after a TA flight. If they can do three nights in Paris post cruise that would be fantastic.

hmm, you too! ok, I might have to rethink this. Initially, I was actually thinking to do London first (more like 3.5 days), then cruise, then 2 days in Paris. Should I reverse it so that I have 3.5 days in Paris first?

hmm, you too! ok, I might have to rethink this. Initially, I was actually thinking to do London first (more like 3.5 days), then cruise, then 2 days in Paris. Should I reverse it so that I have 3.5 days in Paris first?

They are both wonderful cities, but I don't think anything can beat the beauty of Paris and I'd opt for more time in Paris than London, but that's easy for me to say because I have been to both. I don't know which you would prefer.

My thinking on your question above: you will be going on a port-intensive cruise that may well have you pretty tired by the time it's over.. .Don't underestimate the effects of all the travel and time changes...

Would you rather see Paris at the start when you are fresh (altho there is the jet lag factor), or at the end of the trip?

Just some things for you to ponder....

First ~ I'm SO happy to hear the positive comments about Paris - will be there in next month (pre-cruise on the Rhone River) for the first time!!!!

Second ~ we're life-long NYC people (actually live in Queens but have 2 kids living in Manhattan & DH worked there all his life) and just LOVE London!!! We've been there about 5/6 times through the years!!! Yes, like NYC it can be crowded and dirty but there's also such open spaces - Hyde Park, area around Buckingham Palace! And, depending on your personal interestes, SO much to do!! Museums - all kinds! The Eye - fantasic views! A Thames River cruise - wonderful! or the little Regents Canal to Camden Town - hope its still running! Churches - big and small! Lunch (or just some beers!) at a pub - we keep going back because DH hasn't been to all of them yet! Saturday: Portabello Road - but beware of crowds since that movie came out! And "Broadway" - the shows in London are just fabulous and so many have crossed the "pond" to NYC!!! Don't forget the Globe theater!! And Harrods - just walking through the food halls is an experience - and now they allow photography! And in London, best of all - they almost speak our language!!!!! (Main reason I'm concerned about Paris - I was the worst French Student in the world!!

Plus - I think the best part of any place is that you're on VACATION! Even NYC would take on a new aura if you visiting on vcation - although I've always said I'd never want to come to NYC as a visitor - there's be just toomuch to see!!

Begin by realizing that any big city (London/Paris) you visit for 2/3/4 days means you'll just get a taste of it! Decide what your interests are and pick what you want to see and then forget about what everyone else tells you must be seen/experienced. Ask for suggestions ans then pick out what you want - you'll wind up with the best memories!!

Third ~ if to you, vacation means sleeping late and relaxing by a pool/beach then crowding in 2 cities plus a Baltic Cruise might be over doing it! But if, like me, you like to see/do as much as possible and come home to recover then I'd say go for it!!!

But whatever - have a fantasic trip!!!

They are both wonderful cities, but I don't think anything can beat the beauty of Paris and I'd opt for more time in Paris than London, but that's easy for me to say because I have been to both. I don't know which you would prefer.

My thinking on your question above: you will be going on a port-intensive cruise that may well have you pretty tired by the time it's over.. .Don't underestimate the effects of all the travel and time changes...

Would you rather see Paris at the start when you are fresh (altho there is the jet lag factor), or at the end of the trip?

Just some things for you to ponder....

I’m the type of traveler that doesn’t get tired. LOL! I am a go go go person. Always wanting to do something. Even on cruises, I get antsy when my husband wants to relax in the cabin for too long. I tell him I’ll be at the library, or by the pool, or scheduling a game show, etc. BUT I do force myself to slow down b/c I end up anxious from trying to squeeze things in.

But to answer your question about wanting to do Paris upon freshly arriving or after the cruise…I don’t know. I think it boils down to the amount of time we have. We only have 3.5 days before the cruise, and 2 days post-cruise. That part won’t change. Until recently, I thought London would be great upon arrival, but most (if not all people here) have said that they would prefer longer time in Paris than London.

And in London, best of all - they almost speak our language!!!!! (Main reason I'm concerned about Paris - I was the worst French Student in the world!!

My partner and I avoided going to Paris for a VERY long time because neither of us speaks French and we had heard so many horror stories of how the French would be unpleasant to us, etc. Well, we finally went (anyway) and had the most wonderful time -- DO NOT BELIEVE THOSE STORIES!!!

We followed some very simple, common sense rules of courtesy. In particular, we never assumed anyone spoke English (although they often did) -- I think many French find that assumption particularly insulting -- and before speaking to anyone we asked politely in French if the person spoke English. People were wonderfully kind and helpful to us. I absolutely loved Paris.

I’m the type of traveler that doesn’t get tired. LOL! I am a go go go person. Always wanting to do something. Even on cruises, I get antsy when my husband wants to relax in the cabin for too long. I tell him I’ll be at the library, or by the pool, or scheduling a game show, etc. BUT I do force myself to slow down b/c I end up anxious from trying to squeeze things in.

But to answer your question about wanting to do Paris upon freshly arriving or after the cruise…I don’t know. I think it boils down to the amount of time we have. We only have 3.5 days before the cruise, and 2 days post-cruise. That part won’t change. Until recently, I thought London would be great upon arrival, but most (if not all people here) have said that they would prefer longer time in Paris than London.

Here is my itinerary for our 3.5 days in Paris before our cruise. It might come in handy since you have the same amount of days.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683443

As you can tell by my long original post, I loved our time in Paris and it was Go Go all of the time. I wish we had two more days there and I really would have liked to go to a jazz club and just have a couple of relaxing days as well. We are going back in a couple of years on a land vacation and starting in Amsterdam and maybe also going to Belgium or London.

First of all, I think the answer to your question of if it's all too much (cruise + both Paris and London) really depends on you - the type of person you are and the type of trip you want. That being said, this past May we flew from LA to London, took the train to Paris and spent 4 days there, then took the train back to London and spent 2 days there before leaving on our 14-day Mediterranean cruise. Upon returning from the cruise, we spent another day in London before flying back to the States. Whew! Yes, it was A LOT, and we definitely tried to fit in as much as we could, but we had a fantastic time. There were plenty of opportunities to take some time out to relax and just enjoy where we were (i.e. - sitting in Luxembourg Gardens or strolling through the Sacre-Coure area) and we also really made sure to rest during the sea days.

A few thoughts--

(a) If I could go back and re-plan my trip then I think I would have chosen between Paris and London and only gone to one place. I think that there is so much more to see/do in each of these wonderful cities that I now feel like I have to go back to see what I missed. Whereas if I had spent more time in one place, then I would have been able to do all that I wanted. But, we also plan to return to Europe in the near future.

(b) If I knew that I was not going to have the opportunity to go back to Europe/UK in the future, then I would definitely do both cities the way that I did. I feel that I was able to see/do a lot and I got a nice taste of each place.

I suggest making a list of what you want to see/do in each city and then narrow it down to see what you can fit in without going crazy. You will want to enjoy your time in Paris and London and you will want to remember everything, so make sure you don't plan to go-go-go and you schedule in time to breathe and take everything in.

My partner and I avoided going to Paris for a VERY long time because neither of us speaks French and we had heard so many horror stories of how the French would be unpleasant to us, etc. Well, we finally went (anyway) and had the most wonderful time -- DO NOT BELIEVE THOSE STORIES!!!

We followed some very simple, common sense rules of courtesy. In particular, we never assumed anyone spoke English (although they often did) -- I think many French find that assumption particularly insulting -- and before speaking to anyone we asked politely in French if the person spoke English. People were wonderfully kind and helpful to us. I absolutely loved Paris.

Agree! We found everyone in Paris so incredibly nice and friendly! We did the same as you - learned a few phrases in French and always greeted people in French and then proceeded to ask (in French) if they spoke English. We also always said thank you and goodbye in French as well. I really think it made the locals very happy to see our effort. But, it was really funny when we forgot where we were and tried to speak French in Italy :p

My partner and I avoided going to Paris for a VERY long time because neither of us speaks French and we had heard so many horror stories of how the French would be unpleasant to us, etc. Well, we finally went (anyway) and had the most wonderful time -- DO NOT BELIEVE THOSE STORIES!!! We followed some very simple, common sense rules of courtesy. In particular, we never assumed anyone spoke English (although they often did) -- I think many French find that assumption particularly insulting -- and before speaking to anyone we asked politely in French if the person spoke English. People were wonderfully kind and helpful to us. I absolutely loved Paris.

Great posting and "success story"!! That matches our experience from five visits over the years to France. If you treat people in the best manner, whether France or otherwise, they will treat you well back. Here's another tip: Have a written list/schedule that shows your hotel and its its address, other key locations, etc. It's easier to show a cab driver or somebody else where you want to go than trying to pronounce (and doing it badly) a name or street. Many times the French don't want communicate in English as they have a pride and don't want to embarrass themselves with less than perfect language skills. We don't mind butchering some words in another language, but the French don't like to be appearing less sterling in their skills and abilities.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,235 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Merci- works like a charm. Bon Jour! too. I will say that I did experience one steriotypical rude Frenchman. I walked into a Bistro around 5PM with my then 7 year old son. There were about 6-8 people in this place on the Champs Elysee- mostly sitting at the bar. It was a real greasy spoon type place and the waiter kind of the threw the menus at us and treated us like crap. We ordered a 20 Euro hamburger to share because of the outrageous price. It appeared as a burnt hamburger with a fried egg on top- my bad (should have read my French more closely). I explained that we were thinking it would come with a bun instead of an egg and I swear he got so annoyed. He took it back to the kitchen and brought us said roll. Um... he was a jerk and he acted like a jerk before we even had the chance to speak to him(so it wasn't the language barrier). That said- everywhere else was great.

My recommendation is that if you get a recommendation from the front desk and even ask the concierge if they can make a reservation for you. I have had absolutely wonderful meals at places that the hotels have suggested. Our favorite meal in Paris was at an Indian restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

I would. I absolutely loved Paris, and there was so much to see. I did love London and didn't see enough in two days, but if I had to choose it would definitely be Paris!

And to answer the original question, no, I don't think it is too much jumping around. As someone said once you get there, see as much as you can.

Archived