How to celebrate 11 year old boy birthday in NOLA?

angelndscz

As an almost daily visitor to CC I had a different question. We have been to NOLA several times and stayed in the French Quarters, done the carriage tours, houses tours, etc. For MLK weekend my daughter has a cheer competition in NOLA and we are staying at the Marriott at the convention center. We arrive on Friday, she competes Saturday, some of her friends compete Sunday, but we want to go out and celebrate DS 11th birthday (which is Jan-18) instead of him being stuck another day with thousands of cheerleaders. He doesn't like to go to the competitions but we didn't want to leave him home this trip as it's his birthday. We depart Monday. What suggestions do you have for this age range? We were considering a swamp tour on an air boat? We have never done this and thought he would like it. I haven't researched about it or tour groups yet. Suggestions? Would be me, hubby, daughter, and at least one of the three boys. If the olders boys are not working, they will come too (they are 18 and 20).

Thanks in advance!

The zoo is excellent as well as the aquarium. And the WW2/D-Day museum.

Hi Angel,

The Audubon Zoo and WWII Museum are great choices as they are both world class operations.There's also the Audubon Insectarium which has many interactive activities for the young ones. You can also take a free ride across the Mississippi River on the Algiers Ferry which you catch at the foot of Canal St. You can tour St. Louis Cementary #1 on your own or as part of a tour. If you decide to do it on your own go in the morning and not in the late afternoons. All three of these activities are near the French Quarter.

Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World offers tours where you can see the floats that run during Mardi Gras. If you have a car you may want to visit the Chalmette Battlefield which is the site of the Battle of New Orleans in 1815.

New Orleans has a lot to offer kids and its not just for adults. I hope this helps. Have fun when you come down!:D

Jorge

Archived