St Thomas or St Maarten ...shopping ?

Junebug08

Does Freedom dock by the water taxi? Does it take you anywhere else?

FOS does dock by the water taxi in St. Maartin. Very easy walk to get on the water taxi and get into town. We like the shopping in St. Maartin vs. St. Thomas. FOS docks at Havensight in St. Thomas. We did not like the shops at Havensight.

Lois

We are planning on doing only one excursion and I am trying to decide which island to do it on ...St Thomas or St Maarten ?

Which island has the better shopping?

When you get off the ship can you walk to the shopping on both islands?

Going into town isn't that much of a burden in Phillipsburg ST Maarten and IMO better stores with more variety. There is a water taxi, but its not that bad of a walk from the downtown shopping area to the ship.

Oasis doesn't dock at the main pier in Havensight(sp)???

No, Oasis and Allure dock at Crown Bay. Havensight cannot accommodate those two ships. Proposals to dredge the Havensight site were controversial and the St. Thomas government eventually cancelled further consideration of that idea.

To my mind, wherever you choose to do your shopping, the most important thing is to know the prices of things back home before you make a purchase on one of the islands. Nothing is more depressing than purchasing an item at a "bargain price" in the Caribbean (or elsewhere) only to find that you could have purchased that very same item at home, or online, for the same or a better price. Also consider the problems you might encounter if the item turns out to be defective and needs to be returned for a refund or replacement.:)

I spoke with a business owner in St. Thomas who lives on Anguilla. She said if you shop around, St. Thomas and St. Martin have similar prices with one exception. Electronics are less expensive in St. Martin due to favorable tax treatment.

I did get a better deal on my camera at St Maarten than I did at St Thomas.

We feel like we've gotten better deals on liquor,jewelry and clothes

on St Maarten. Plus you can take the fantastic water taxi from the pier.

It's not only cheap ($6 for all day pp), the view is great, it leaves you

in the center of town, where beers are $1 and there is a beach right

there........No need for an excursion at all

I agree. We've been to both islands several times. St. Maarten is always our excursion free day, to just relax in town and shop, eat and drink. Not necessarily in that order:D The beach is nice too. Just a great place to chill out for the day. As noted above, be sure and visit the Guavaberry Liquor store (try a Guavaberry Colada!).

Archived