Cruise Fever, just realized cant book :(

rach1fun

I have my DH talked into another cruise, probably for our 10 yr anniversary, possibly with our kids. It is still 1.5 years down the road, but we have to plan ahead for financial reasons. I just read someone elses post about having to plan early for work vacation time and a lightbulb went off. We cant go!!!

I have been saving up vacation time in case I am a match for my dad who is in liver failure and will be on the transplant list sometime in the next two years. They are trying to keep him stable for as long as possible because there are other treatments they need to do first.

I have been obsessing over what cruise to do next, and whether to make it a family cruise or not...now I cant, in good conscience, plan any cruise until I know what the future holds for my dad.... sad to think my obsession is for not, but so glad that I didnt get any further with the planning before I put the two together!

I have my DH talked into another cruise, probably for our 10 yr anniversary, possibly with our kids. It is still 1.5 years down the road, but we have to plan ahead for financial reasons. I just read someone elses post about having to plan early for work vacation time and a lightbulb went off. We cant go!!!

I have been saving up vacation time in case I am a match for my dad who is in liver failure and will be on the transplant list sometime in the next two years. They are trying to keep him stable for as long as possible because there are other treatments they need to do first.

I have been obsessing over what cruise to do next, and whether to make it a family cruise or not...now I cant, in good conscience, plan any cruise until I know what the future holds for my dad.... sad to think my obsession is for not, but so glad that I didnt get any further with the planning before I put the two together!

Gotta do what you gotta do. Hope everything with your dad works out.

Who says that you can't plan anything? Of course you can! Just dont lock yourself into something that you can't get out of (early saver rates, non refundable rates, etc).

We've had to make changes to our travel plans (several times) during the last few years due to my aging parents' health (including major surgeries), but it hasn't stopped us from planning. In fact the cruise that we have planned for 8 months from now is "Take 2" after wer had to cancel that plan in 2011.

Your dad definitely comes first before any vacation, but dont stop living while you wait to see what's going to happen. Just be ready to make changes, and roll with the punches.

I understand. We used to book as far in advance as possible ES just to have the excitement of looking forward to it so long and it was even fun looking for price drops all the way to the cruise. BUT in recent years we have had to CHANGE two cruises and pay a $100 penalty each time so we are either waiting closer to book or booking a higher fare so we can make changes. (However, a $100 penalty isn't really that bad considering that the ES prices are usually that much lower than the other fares AND you are guaranteed price drops if any, so its still a good gamble)

For you, insurance is the way to go.

As someone who has had to cancel 2 different cruises in the last 5 years, all I can say is thank goodness for insurance. I would be very sure about "pre-existing conditions", before booking. The insurance companies ask lots of questions and want medical records, etc. before paying. One question they asked was, "were you fit to travel on the day you booked the trip?" I know some insurance covers family member deaths, but not sure about a transplant.

Hoping everything works out well for all of you.

Thanks for all of the ideas, I had never even thought about anything other than es. my biggest problem is vacation time at work. Don't want to use vacation time until I know for sure that I wont be the donor. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait, roll the dice maybe on a last minute, if the vacation time is still avail at work...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all of the ideas, I had never even thought about anything other than es. my biggest problem is vacation time at work. Don't want to use vacation time until I know for sure that I wont be the donor. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait, roll the dice maybe on a last minute, if the vacation time is still avail at work...

You may be saving vacation days, "just in case", I see your point. But there is reality to consider too. Book your cruise, put in for the time off, get it okayed at least. Let the chips fall with the potential surgery. If you need the time off for that, you certainly can't give them much notice anyway. Maybe you won't need that time off after all. Life is too precious to sit and wait to see what transpires. A cruise can be cancelled before final payment, but at least the wheels would be in motion.

Some people plan a cruise while not having enough vacation time accumulated, so part is paid time off, and part is missing a few days pay combo.

It may be worth talking to your employer about this. Would they grant you compassionate leave, or would this qualify as sick leave? I would be surprised if they made yoou take this as annual holiday leave. Especially since it would be impossible to know how quickly both you and your Dad would recover from your operataions. What happens if you use up all your leave, but are not yet fit enough to go back to work?

Also, with insurance, most companies will only insure unforseen conditions. As you are aware that a transplant is a possibilty, would this qualify?

You cannot put your life on hold for over a year on the offchance that

a) your Dad's condition may deteriorate to the point that a transplant is necessary.

b) you are the only suitable donor.

Hope this helps, and that you are able to book yourselves a cruise - Good Luck.

Ok, OP here... Its not that I am putting my life "on hold", my parents would actually prefer that I not be the donor if it can be helped (because I have young children and they dont want me to take the risk). I want to have my ducks in a row, so if I am the correct match, and my mom isn't, they have less reason to object. The anticipated time off of work is 2-3 months. I am a nurse working in a hospital, so the time-off processes are very cut and dry. I get disability 60%, and I need to use vacation time to make up the difference.

So I just sat down and actually figured out how long it would take me to get to the needed 200 hours of vaca time for my dad. That is 4 more months, and 2 months after that to get the 40 hours vaca time earned for the trip. So, if I take no time off in the next 6 months, I will have enough PTO (vaca time) for the surgery AND a week long cruise.... much better than I thought!!!! Back to trip planning, just cant pull the trigger for another 6 months at least, then I will take everyones advice and do something other than early saver, so I can cancel if needed :)

Archived