Gap Khaki = too casual?

catmommy

Hi Folks!

Going on the Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda May 28th. This cruise has 4 casual nights.

I wa thinking of bringing a few pairs of Gap Khaki pants and wearing them with short-sleeved Polo shirts for the casual nights.

The pants are a light sand, a darker stone color and a black. The two are straight leg and the black is a boot cut. I would wear them with black dress sandals with a low heel.

My fear is that this may be too casual since, from what I have read, Celebrity cruisers seem to get more dressed up than other lines.

Opinions? Comments?

I do have dresses that I can wear instead so it would not be a problem to wear them instaed. (But the truth is I feel more comfortable wearing pants.)

Thanks bunches!

Calm Seas,

Caroline

Hi Caroline:)

Since you are asking for opinions, I am going to chime in here. I have sailed Celebrity 5 times and (remember this is just one person's opinion;) )but I think the khakis are too casual.

I don't even bring khakis with me. I enjoy "dressing for dinner" even on casual nights.

I do bring slacks though~for example, a pair of brick colored silk pants with a pretty black knit top, black heels and some nice jewelery. That would be one of my casual outfits. I always bring a pair of black dress slacks too and wear them on one of the casual evenings with a nice top.

Also a pretty dress would be fine!

If you want to take a peek at some of my pictures, click below onto webshots.

It will give you an idea of some of my outfits.

I hope you love Celebrity as much as I do:D

I agree 100% with Lois. Khaki's and a polo shirt are fine for lunch, but not for dinner.

You don't need to wear a dress if you prefer not to. I'm also more comfortable in pants. I bring some dressy pants and pair them up with nice tops like georgette blouses, silk knit twin sweater sets and beaded tank tops. I wear med-high heel sandals and usually bring a shawl because I'm often chilly in the dining room.

Jane

Familycruzer, I am not surprised at much of anything anymore:rolleyes: They do have a dress code and most (operative word) most people adhere to it.

But you are always going to find folks who don't~know matter what cruiseline.

Actually, there was thread a few weeks ago on the Celebrity Board from someone who was turned away from the dining room on one of the informal nights.

I don't know the exact circumstances of course, because I was not there but it seems sometimes the dress code was enforced and other times it was not. (It would make it 1000% better if they enforced it all the time).

Hi Caroline:)

Since you are asking for opinions, I am going to chime in here. I have sailed Celebrity 5 times and (remember this is just one person's opinion;) )but I think the khakis are too casual.

I don't even bring khakis with me. I enjoy "dressing for dinner" even on casual nights.

I do bring slacks though~for example, a pair of brick colored silk pants with a pretty black knit top, black heels and some nice jewelery. That would be one of my casual outfits. I always bring a pair of black dress slacks too and wear them on one of the casual evenings with a nice top.

Also a pretty dress would be fine!

I hope you love Celebrity as much as I do:D

I concur with Lois. I would not wear khakis in the dining room aboard any ship nor to a nice restaurant. And X is more dressed up than many lines.

Quote:

"On the Horizon I actually saw sweat pants in the DR on the last night and on formal night there were men with polo shirts and khakis."

I guess the Maitr'd's didn't feel the need to do their jobs:eek: :rolleyes:

Hi:) I was booked on Horizon but my plans changed.

I will be sailing on the Summit in October instead. It was a good decision for me.

Going out of LA to the Mexican Riveria with a girlfriend from these boards:D and we are getting an AFT Balcony Cabin too!

I won't be able to sail Horizon before she leaves the fleet but I am ok with that at this point. Alot of people tell me they believe everything happens for a reason......maybe so.

Hi:) I was booked on Horizon but my plans changed.

I will be sailing on the Summit in October instead. It was a good decision for me.

Going out of LA to the Mexican Riveria with a girlfriend from these boards:D and we are getting an AFT Balcony Cabin too!

I won't be able to sail Horizon before she leaves the fleet but I am ok with that at this point. Alot of people tell me they believe everything happens for a reason......maybe so.

At least you are still taking a cruise!!

Lois, So...you will be down the street from me. Actually about 40 miles down the street from me. Are you coming in a day before? I'd love to meet you in person if you are, so give it some thought. Maybe a cocktail or 2?

p.s., I'll understand if you already have plans, my feelings do not get hurt too easily.

Hey, I am arriving a day early~and would love to meet you. I do have plans but you are MORE THAN WELCOME to join us:D the more the merrier!

This is the first time in 7 cruises I am sharing a cabin and the gal I am going with has points at Hiltons. We are staying in LongBeach Pre-Cruise.

And there is another couple sailing with us from these boards too. You might know one of them from the Celebrity Board. Her screen name is L11. Her name is Linda and her hubby is Gerald. We have been trying to sail together for 2 years now!

They live in Laguna Beach. Anyway, we are going to have dinner together and I would love it if you and hubby would join us:)

I arrive on October 9th which is a Sunday and we sail on Monday. Keep the date in mind~we can definitely make more definite plans as the time comes closer!

Oh the friend I am sailing with is Mari_10. Not sure if you know her or not from the Celebrity Board either!

Lois, Sundays are perfect for us, as DH works on Saturdays and I can't budge him out of the house on Saturday evenings. Pick a place and time (probably your hotel or a nearby restaurant). Great, now I have a little thing to look forward to in Oct. :D

p.s. We will be insanely jealous of you and the others leaving on a cruise the next day.

Hey, I am arriving a day early~and would love to meet you. I do have plans but you are MORE THAN WELCOME to join us:D the more the merrier!

Lois/Kathy,

This little shindig sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. We want photo's!!!!

Lois, you're going to love the AFT balcony. That's what DH and I prefer to take.

Jane

Hi Jane:) I was in an AFT once, but only as a visitor;) one of the folks on my Costellation Cruise had one and they gave me a peek at it. OH MY, the balcony was big enough for at least 8 adults comfortably!

Kathy, I will let you know the time frame/restaurant choice, etc. Should be a marvelous time:D I arrive in LA at about noon so I will have all day there too.

I have heard LongBeach is very nice!

I cruised on the Horizon last year to Bermuda and will agree that khakis are too casual for this cruise but I will also say I was shocked at how casual some people were dressed on a Celebrity ship.

Yep that is what I keep seeing to on the cruiselines I have been on- except HAL-I keep reading posts that this is the Carnival experience and it is okay to dress down on their cruises-but my experience is it happens on every cruiseline-you just see a few more on Carnival.

I myself would rather be a little over dressed then underdressed. I have worn khaki slacks on casual nights on other lines but I will keep that in mind to just leave them at home if a I do a Celebrity cruise.

Let me keep this on topic a bit. I personally would not wear khaki pants on casual nights, but I like to dress up a bit. If someone else was wearing them, it would not bother me at all. I prefer to see the person for who they are, not what they are wearing.

Lois, how we would love to go with you, but we have this little thing called work and kids that always seem to get in the way. I have to request time off for the following school year (I work at a school) and have already put in my request! Just a few short years until the kids are out of school and we will have more freedom. We don't have a full cruise coming up this year, but we do have 3 short (3 day) cruises. We are doing the short Baja on Monarch Thanksgiving weekend, QM2 for their 3 day Pacific Coast (our anniversary) next February and a little repo to Vancouver next year. It's funny, we booked the repo just to get to Vancouver to go have lunch or dinner at our favorite restaurant up there!

Good to "see" you!

Back to topic - I've never been on Celebrity (yet), so I'm not sure about khakis there, but while I've seen them on men on casual nights on Royal Caribbean, I don't recall seeing women in khakis. I usually bring a couple of casual dresses and a capri suit (not denim) for casual nights. I love having a chance to dress for dinner since my "real life" is very casual.

hello stranger:D great to see you too!

I totally agree with the khaki comment. We were all just saying khakis (in MOST of our opinions) are a bit too casual for gals, even on casual nights.

But many of the guys do wear them.

When you are sailing again? I go in October......have to get through the next 5 months:eek: :rolleyes: help!!!

hello stranger:D great to see you too!

I totally agree with the khaki comment. We were all just saying khakis (in MOST of our opinions) are a bit too casual for gals, even on casual nights.

But many of the guys do wear them.

When you are sailing again? I go in October......have to get through the next 5 months:eek: :rolleyes: help!!!

Lois, isn't that a bit sexist to say it is okay for guys but not gals? And to the other gal who said she would never wear khakis but capris are okay? I do not understand. I myself would never wear capris to dinner-too much like picnic wear to me- ( I am referring to the petal pusher length- the longer length I call cropped pants) but I will wear khakis and have on RCCL, Carnival and Disney to dinner on casual nights.

But I know all of us are differant,we come from differant regions of the US and so we have differant ideas on what is casual and what is daytime wear. I guess that is what makes the world go round huh?

Archived