Question about drill

Nickymjw1

my mom might not be able to walk all those flights of stairs for our muster drill. She is not in a wheelchair but has bad knees. Do we have to inform Carnival at embarkation or just advice the assigned staff at our deck when muster drill starts?

Will we all 4 be allowed to stay with her when they let her use the elevator?

Thanks

I would go early to the muster drill station, my advice. Once I got a lot of backtalk about how I should not go with my sister in the elevator, no neither of us can use it first..

she is a slow learner with balance issues, and to me I should not have to explain that to a carnival rep in front of her. It embarrased us all.

On our last cruise in Jan. I had a problem with stairs. I had had ankle surgery recently, and I knew I would not be able to do the stairs with so many people rushing in front and behind me.

I mentioned it to our room steward to see if it was ok to miss the drill. He said I had to go, but he told me to head down about 15 minutes early. There was a lounge right there, and they had it full of people with "special needs" and their families. I was able to sit in there with my dh and they gave us the drill there. Then, when we were done, we were allowed to get on the elevators before they let everyone else out of the drill. It worked out great for us.

I did not let anyone know ahead of time, but I noticed that most of the people were on a list and they went around and checked off these people. Maybe check with guest services when you board and ask them if you can attend the "special needs" muster drill.

On our last cruise in Jan. I had a problem with stairs. I had had ankle surgery recently, and I knew I would not be able to do the stairs with so many people rushing in front and behind me.

I mentioned it to our room steward to see if it was ok to miss the drill. He said I had to go, but he told me to head down about 15 minutes early. There was a lounge right there, and they had it full of people with "special needs" and their families. I was able to sit in there with my dh and they gave us the drill there. Then, when we were done, we were allowed to get on the elevators before they let everyone else out of the drill. It worked out great for us.

I did not let anyone know ahead of time, but I noticed that most of the people were on a list and they went around and checked off these people. Maybe check with guest services when you board and ask them if you can attend the "special needs" muster drill.

this has been the case at least 3 times. we sat in a dining room once.. just us two.. wierd.. but another time in the library that was overflowing, no place to sit down.

They never once let us go first and use the elevators to go back to the cabins.. sounds like a really great idea they did on your ship. I wish they did this all the time.

But I agree, head down early.

You can look on the back of your cabin door and it will show you where your muster station is.. so just look there, and dont wait for them to announce to go.

I also agree they usually have a place for HC to sit, like a lounge or whatever as above .. dining room, library .. and you dont have to go outside and stand up.

Once on Ecstasy they first had us in the promenade area, outside a lounge.. then they took everyone but the two of us out to the lifeboats, we were told to stay where we were. My sister at that time was on a cane and obviously unsteady.

I would be very careful about arriving 15 minutes or more early. On the Destiny, the drill was HOT, stinky and there was no air movement. The first people to arrive are in the back row against the wall. There were maybe 5 to 7 rows of people total when it got going. The people in the back row could not breathe....it was miserable. We had several people get sick from standing in the smelly stale air without talking or moving for 20 to 30 minutes. If you go early, you are looking at 35 to 45 minutes of it. Surely they can make arrangements for HC or elderly px. On ours, it didn't seem like it though.

my mom might not be able to walk all those flights of stairs for our muster drill. She is not in a wheelchair but has bad knees. Do we have to inform Carnival at embarkation or just advice the assigned staff at our deck when muster drill starts?

Thanks

I would check with guest services as soon as you board. Both cruises we have been on, they were taken seriously, so I would ask as soon as you board. They may even offer special assistance.

My experience is those people dont have a clue, as it would entirely depend on your muster station and they wouldnt have that info at the desk.

Can you tell I really hate muster drills.. they often are so disorganized and no one seems to know where to tell you where to go for HC.

I would be very careful about arriving 15 minutes or more early. On the Destiny, the drill was HOT, stinky and there was no air movement. The first people to arrive are in the back row against the wall. There were maybe 5 to 7 rows of people total when it got going. The people in the back row could not breathe....it was miserable. We had several people get sick from standing in the smelly stale air without talking or moving for 20 to 30 minutes. If you go early, you are looking at 35 to 45 minutes of it. Surely they can make arrangements for HC or elderly px. On ours, it didn't seem like it though.

Lucky the OP does not have to line up outside. Fantasy class ships go to inside spaces with chairs, just get there early to get seats.

Just some questions as I was reading what elevator is everyone talking about?

On the sensation does anyone know where the muster is held or is it always random?

Only one in our group has issues with stairs and standing would we be able to stay with them or would we have to be separated ?

My husband uses a walker and nobody has ever questioned us using the elevator. Over the years it has gone to a place for him to sit on the rail, a place to sit just inside the muster sation, to now a liabrary or lounge for him. Your steward will notate that they are special assistance needed in case of an emergency if you let them know.

I don't know if it's still the same or not but on our Conquest cruise in 2003, my SIL had just recovered from a foot surgery and was in a wheelchair. They told her that there would be an announcement for special needs passengers to go to the muster station before the rest of the passengers. We were allowed to take the elevator. When we got there, they told us to stay to the rear of the area right by the door so that we wouldn't get trampled. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1064463292030186251eCmXev

After it was over, they allowed all special needs passengers to leave before they released the rest. Naturally, it didn't stop the mob from leaving right then. I must say, I have never encountered so many rude people as there was when it came time to try to get her into an elevator. Coming back from Cozumel, we actually had people push us out of the way to get into an elevator. Finally her grand daughter yelled out, that the next person that got in her way before she could get her in the elevator was going to ...well, there might be kids reading this so I'll leave it to your imagination. Let's just say it wasn't pretty and we got on the next elevator.

I don't know if it's still the same or not but on our Conquest cruise in 2003, my SIL had just recovered from a foot surgery and was in a wheelchair. They told her that there would be an announcement for special needs passengers to go to the muster station before the rest of the passengers. We were allowed to take the elevator. When we got there, they told us to stay to the rear of the area right by the door so that we wouldn't get trampled. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1064463292030186251eCmXev

After it was over, they allowed all special needs passengers to leave before they released the rest. Naturally, it didn't stHealthy Cruising: Leave Your Elastic Pants at Home! (Healthy Travel Series) [Kindle Edition]

op;) the mob from leaving right then. I must say, I haveHealthy Cruising: Leave Your Elastic Pants at Home! (Healthy Travel Series) [Kindle Edition]

never encountered so many rude people as there was when it came time to try to get her into an elevator. Coming back from Cozumel, we actually had people push us out of the way to get into an elevator. Finally her grand daughter yelled out, that the next person that got in her way before she could get her in the elevator was going to ...well, there might be kids reading this so I'll leave it to your imagination. Let's just say it wasn't pretty and we got on the next elevator.

I am a special needs passenger who Needs a walker. I check out where our station is as soon as I board, then try to get to it early. When I check in, they have a clipboard with names of special needs passengers and tell me and the others to stay after they take the rest up to the lifeboats. In case of an actual emergency I guess they have ways :eek:to get us to the boats but it will be a surprise to us

We have a son with autism. We do not go to the regular muster. It is way too over stimulating for him. I check in at quest services when we board and they tell us where the special needs muster station is. It is usually in a lounge somewhere. They do come and do a head count and ask who would need help getting down there in the case of an emergency. Once you know where it is going to be you can get there a little early and sit and relax.

Thanks

Actually what you have to concern yourself with is, what process is it you have to follow should an actual emergency arise?

Getting "there" early won't help you should one happen.

You should discuss this with someone during the droll, or beforehand.

Just some questions as I was reading what elevator is everyone talking about?

On the sensation does anyone know where the muster is held or is it always random?

Only one in our group has issues with stairs and standing would we be able to stay with them or would we have to be separated ?

The Sensation, being a Fantasy Class ship, has muster meet in one of the lounges on 9 the walks up to the lifeboats on 10. There is one muster station on the lido deck (10) itself.

The lifeboat stations are divided up by cabin location.

A few months ago on the Inspiration we watied til the very end to go up stairs (I hate crowded places) and there were several people with mobility issues still seated. They were checking the pax names off of a roster.

On the Fantasy last month we met at our muster station which was the lounge. Then we proceeded up the stairs to our boat. An announcement was made that anyone who could not walk up the stairs stay behind and a Carnival employee would take you up in the elevator.

Thanks

First answer. All ships have places for Disabled/special needs/temporary injuries to muster outside the normal place. It is best to go early, more than 15 minutes and be on the floor you need to go to.

Second answer: Are you worried about steps or the drill? People with minor issues should go if possible to their assigned muster station. Concordia was the reason why. Also, although it sounds like a good idea for the whole party to stay together, it might not be in your best interest in the event of a real ermergency. Someone should know where to go.

Archived