Ruby Princess v. Nieuw Amsterdam

ynnoj

Hi, We are a 50ish couple with 15 or so cruises under our belt, we have never sailed HAL but have sailed on several Princess including ships that are very simalar to the Ruby and have had good experiences on all, so I am looking for your opinions. Our airline tickets are bought and paid for so we must leave from Ft. Lauderdale/Miami on a certain date (a Sunday) in Dec. We are pretty laid back and are mostly looking for relaxation and decent food, we do prefer the eastern v. the western Carib, and will be booking a balcony cabin. So, do we go with the tried and true or try something new? Thanks all.:)

Hi, We are a 50ish couple with 15 or so cruises under our belt, we have never sailed HAL but have sailed on several Princess including ships that are very simalar to the Ruby and have had good experiences on all, so I am looking for your opinions. Our airline tickets are bought and paid for so we must leave from Ft. Lauderdale/Miami on a certain date (a Sunday) in Dec. We are pretty laid back and are mostly looking for relaxation and decent food, we do prefer the eastern v. the western Carib, and will be booking a balcony cabin. So, do we go with the tried and true or try something new? Thanks all.:)

It's only 7 days, so give HAL a try. Then you won't be wondering and can go back to Princess.

Ruby/Crown and Nieuw Amsterdam/Eurodam are the best cruise ships that sail from Fort Lauderdale on regular basis.

They are equal in class.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is smaller, with somewhat less dining and entertainment options, but with an excellent hydropool & thermal suite package (extra charge, highly recommended) that is not available on the Ruby.

Both ships are beautiful.

Obviously you should try something new.

So the Nieuw Amsterdam is your choice this time.

I am about to try Princess for the first time in January...I have been on HAL Noordam...the food and service was wonderful:D

I also recently went on Voyager of the Seas...food was terrible in the buffet...actually cold and disgusting...we ate as often as possible in the MDR which was slightly better...no comparison to HAL though which has 5 star food all the way...hoping that Princess will be as good as HAL :)

We are elite on Princess (21 cruises), 3 star on Holland America, 75 days + - both lines are similar. I have been wanting to go on the Neiuw Amsterdam, have not seen the itinerary we want.

Try HAL, then you will most likely have 2 options, Princess and HAL, like we do. We actually cruise Princess, HAL and Cunard. Have cruised Celbrity as well, prefer Princess and HAL over Celebrity. We are going next on NCL, have not been on NCL in 10 years, will check it out. Found a good price and itinerary we wanted to do.

Try HAL is my advise. Hope you have a great cruise.

I have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam and thought it looked fine. Puzzled at scott but if he thinks it ugly, so be it.

I think it compared nicely to the Grand Princess. A bit smaller. I did not think the up charge steak house worth it but the Asian fusion definitely was. The Italian barely since the MDR was so good. (Sorry, can not remember the names but when you get there it will be obvious.)

Each had some good theatre shows and some others. But that was my taste.

Explore and enjoy.

I am about to try Princess for the first time in January...I have been on HAL Noordam...the food and service was wonderful:D

I very much appreciate this, and it's quite timely: we just today made final payment on a cruise on the Noordam. The size of the ship reminds us of our early cruises on RC and Celebrity 10 to 15 years ago.

Archived