Golden Princess

bajarider

After having cruised RCCL many times, we cruised to Hawaii last December aboard the Carnival Spirit. We were very disappointed. We have now booked another Hawaiian cruise aboard the Golden Princess. Although Carnival owns Princess, we took a chance and are hoping that Princess is a better line. Are we destined to repeat our Carnival experience of last year? Encouraging words are welcomed?

I don't know about Carnival but when you get on the Golden your Hawaiian adventure starts right away. From the crew in Aloha shirts, Hawaiian themed movies and of course the great music, Hula and Uke (shortened the name because I can't spell it.) lessons by Elua. That is only part of what you can expect.

We loved the Golden Princess, both times.

I have only been on one Carnival cruise... and 6 Princess cruises...enough said.

Go with confidence on your cruise on the Golden Princess. We think the crew on the Golden is one of the best! Love the International Cafe, too.

Don't be confused by the fact that Carnival owns both lines. That is really the only thing they have in common. They are two entirely different businesses and are run totally independently of one and other. Carnival also owns several other lines all of which are also run independently.

Relax and enjoy your cruise. I think you are going to love Princess for the elegant atmosphere and the relaxing colors of the decorating theme. It is a ship for relaxation and the Golden does it right. If you continue to read the boards - you will find that Princess cruisers return to the Hawaiian cruise for not only the ports of call, but for the cruise director and the entertainment duo.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise aboard the Golden - if you can... book the Window suite. We LOVED our suite/its perks/its location/its color scheme/and Alex - our cabin steward.

This will be a totally different experience that Carnival - the color scheme is more elegant/relaxed/calm....there is less activity....there are way less party people (yes you will see happy people - but you won't have to worry about drinks being spilled on you). The only two negative things - and these are my opinions and my tastes..... the food isn't as good (no I didn't go hungry - just not many choices that I cared for) - and the entertainment (Alaska in August) was on the boring side - but very port extensive so I had lots to do off the ship.

Have a great time in Hawaii.....

After having cruised RCCL many times, we cruised to Hawaii last December aboard the Carnival Spirit. We were very disappointed. We have now booked another Hawaiian cruise aboard the Golden Princess. Although Carnival owns Princess, we took a chance and are hoping that Princess is a better line. Are we destined to repeat our Carnival experience of last year? Encouraging words are welcomed?

Aloha Bajarider,

First of all, let me introduce yourself. My name is Dave, and along with my wife Leialoha, we are the group called Elua that some have mentioned in this post, and in other posts about Princess and the Hawaiian itinerary. Now, you didn't really say what was lacking in your previous Hawaiian cruise, but let me at least address the "Hawaiian-ess" of the experience on Princess. We helped to develop a Hawaiian culture program on board the ship, which we feel really enhances our guests overall experience. We also perform Hawaiian music during the course of the cruise to really set the mood for the ship. Princess also brings in wonderful guest speakers and we always have an on board naturalist who will usually give talks on Hawaiian ecology and biology. Topics can range from endangered Hawaiian wildlife, to Pearl Harbor, to food and language.

My wife Leialoha teaches hula, I instruct in ukulele and we give talks and presentations throughout the cruise. Also, if you choose to hula or play uke, we have a farewell show for all of our haumana (students) and you will perform for your fellow passengers in the Princess Theater.

There are usually Hawaiian themed movies (both at MUTS and in room) and a Hawaiian channel showing documentaries and local shows. Lastly, Leialoha and I are always around the ship to answer any question the guests may have. Leialoha is a local girl born and raised on O'ahu and we make our home in Hilo on the Big Island.

You did not say when you had booked your cruise, but I feel pretty safe in assuring you that we will do everything we can to make your Hawaiian experience as wonderful as can be. If I can be of any assistance, or if you have any questions, feel free to ask, either here, or at our email: elaumusic@aol.com

Malama Pono,

Dave Soreff

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com

Thank you all for the insight. We are looking forward to cruising with Princess.

Regarding what disappointed me with Carnival: It must have just one of "those cruises" where everything went wrong because I did not speak to a single happy passenger during the cruise. Boarding was late, the ship's dining room vibrated so badly that dishes literally fell off the table (something wrong mechanically, it was something heavy, felt like an out of balance screw or azipod). The ship went into dry dock after the cruise, so I guess it has been fixed, but that didn't make our cruise very enjoyable.

Additionally, the decks were closed for all but one day of the fifteen day cruise (we have cruised to Hawaii before during December, all amenities were open on deck aboard other ships). The kids were very disappointed.

The food was just mediocre (DO NOT EAT LASAGNA ON CARNIVAL!) with the exception of the sandwich bar and pizza, entertainment was so-so, the library didn't have any books, just games which were missing most of the pieces, the ship was shabby, especially the left over miniature golf course carpeting which had been removed and left laying on deck to blow around (overboard?) with the empty plastic glue buckets. I could go on-and-on and really bore everybody, but I've made my point, except to say that we have disembarked in Los Angeles many times with RCCL, with no complaints. With Carnival, however, we waited for more than three hours in the buffet prior to disembarkation! We waited (in the buffet), with no food, only water and coffee to drink, and left the ship hungry!

Some must enjoy Carnival cruises, but no one in our group of ten will use them again. We have cruised eleven times during the past eight years and all have been enjoyable, except for our Carnival cruise.

As others have already said, the Golden Princess has a fabulous Hawaiian Cultural program that puts you in the Aloha Spirit from the moment you step onboard. Here's a list of what you will enjoy on the Golden Princess:

5411230406_831d00fe1f_z.jpg

Golden Princess - Hawaii - Princess Patter by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Also, if you check in my signature below, you will find a link to the Princess Patters from our Hawaii cruise on the Golden. It will give you a good idea of what to expect during the cruise.

I sailed the old Regal Princess to Hawaii around 2004 & was very disappointed by a lack of a Hawaiian experience. Due to the amazing Hawaiian program Elua helped organized it's a great Hawaiian experience particularly with Dave & Leialoha onboard.

They are the hardest working most friendly Princess employees that I've ever experienced in dozens of cruises. They exude the Spirit of Aloha and looking forward to sailing with them again on the Golden. I continue to enjoy their CDs purchased onboard which like the Brothers Cazimero song says puts me 'at home in the Islands...in the middle of the sea'. :D

If you haven't viewed the info on their program here's a link to it:

http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/hawaii/cruises/aloha_spirit/index.html

Ah, the old Regal...memories.

We did the Golden to Hawaii last winter, and it seemed to me it was *too* Hawaii-specific in terms of the activities. I never wanted to learn to hula. ;)

Of course, I found plenty to keep me busy otherwise, and it was a great trip. Love those sea days!

Hello Dave and Leialoha:

Thank you all for the information and encouragement. My family and I are looking forward to meeting Dave and his wife (as well as other cruisers) on board the Golden Princess on Oct 10. But Leialoha, take heed, teaching me the Hula will undoubtedly be the biggest challenge you have ever faced on a cruise, and uke lessons, a big yes!!

I too am going on my first cruise - on the Golden Princess to Hawaii in Dec. After reading neg posts on other threads, I was starting to get nervous [just booked this morning, and by far, this will be our most expensive vacation]. So...thanks for the positive reviews here. You are putting my mind at ease!

Joan from Bend, OR

I too am going on my first cruise - on the Golden Princess to Hawaii in Dec. After reading neg posts on other threads, I was starting to get nervous [just booked this morning, and by far, this will be our most expensive vacation]. So...thanks for the positive reviews here. You are putting my mind at ease!

Joan from Bend, OR

Welcome to Cruise Critic & you'll discover that too many take the term 'critic' too literally! ;)

Unfortunately it's the few unhappy passengers who feel obligated to strongly voice their unhappiness with us while the overwhelming number of happy passengers don't post as often. So take posts with a grain of salt because in dozens of cruises I've only had good cruises & better cruises and have never a bad cruise. I never let small things bother me on a cruise & to me everything is small as long as I'm healthy & cruising again. :D

So have a wonderful Hawaiian cruise & hope you'll enjoy my 2 favorite type of trips...a cruise to anywhere & time in Hawaii. :D

Joan from Bend, OR

I don't know what negative threads you have read, but were were just on the Golden for 14 days this month and we had a great time. Staff and food were very good as always and the Golden is a very good ship. You should have a very good cruise to Hawaii. Elua will be on board to provide a great authentic Hawaiian cruise experience and there will be many Hawaiian themed activities as well as a few Hawaiian themed dished. Be sure to join your Roll Call and have a Great first cruise!

Joan from Bend, OR

You might want to check out this thread also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1705546

Archived