Which ships can sail under the Harbour Bridge?

We have a visit to the bridge on the Oosterdam scheduled for Noumea on Sunday. I may get the chance to ask but I suspect the response will be equivocal - depends, it's up to the port authorities etc. BTW we were refunded $4.49 pp for missing Mackay. Almost enough for a cocktail!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by cjm66

We have a visit to the bridge on the Oosterdam scheduled for Noumea on Sunday. I may get the chance to ask but I suspect the response will be equivocal - depends, it's up to the port authorities etc. BTW we were refunded $4.49 pp for missing Mackay. Almost enough for a cocktail!

Enjoy that cocktail.:D

How did you get to organise a tour to the bridge? Are you doing the tour of the ship?

Your cruise is going quick.

Edited by Australian family

Who is the Captain, and the Hotel Manager?

Guess it is a matter of whether the bridge will fit under the bridge:D

Enjoy that cocktail.:D

How did you get to organise a tour to the bridge? Are you doing the tour of the ship?

Your cruise is going quick.

I did the ships tour on Tuesday. They can no longer schedule the bridge visit while we are underway so that is being done when we are docked at Noumea. Yes it is going qickly now.

The Hotel Director is Robert Versteeg. Captain as above - Henk Draper. The Captain is unobtrusive and makes a very short weather and position report once a day, but he did find the hole in the clouds so is to be congratulated. The hotel Director was forthcoming about the dry dock. Purpose is to clean and polish the hull for fuel economy, do necessary maintenance on the azipods and renew carpet and some soft furninshings in pubic areas and suites plus some general manicuring and tidification.

They are offering chilren's cooking classes on the Oosterdam - last one was cheesy pretzels. One grandother on board spoke very highly of Club HAL. The area itself is not extensive but apparently they spend a lot of time in activities around the ship and the staff are excellent according to my informant. Colleen

Edited by cjm66

I did the ships tour on Tuesday. They can no longer schedule the bridge visit while we are underway so that is being done when we are docked at Noumea. Yes it is going qickly now.

The Hotel Director is Robert Versteeg. Captain as above - Henk Draper. The Captain is unobtrusive and makes a very short weather and position report once a day, but he did find the hole in the clouds so is to be congratulated. The hotel Director was forthcoming about the dry dock. Purpose is to clean and polish the hull for fuel economy, do necessary maintenance on the azipods and renew carpet and some soft furninshings in pubic areas and suites plus some general manicuring and tidification.

They are offering chilren's cooking classes on the Oosterdam - last one was cheesy pretzels. One grandother on board spoke very highly of Club HAL. The area itself is not extensive but apparently they spend a lot of time in activities around the ship and the staff are excellent according to my informant. Colleen

Thank you for the update on the kids activities.

Was the ships tour worth doing and did you see much of the behind the scenes areas?

On all bridge visits the dimensions should be easy to find. They need the measurements for pilotage etc. So they do know the height, width and every other measurement of the ship. My bets are on the ship not going under the bridge.

How long was the ships tour?

Thanks for naming the Captain and Hotel Manager.

Interesting to hear what work will be done at dry dock.

MMMmmm ..

Just wondering what "soft furninshings in pubic areas" will be.:D:D:D

Don't know yet how to roll about laughing on an iPad. I am sure the puns could go on for several exchanges. Colleen

Update on the Oosterdam debate. Captain Draper confirmed that the Oosterdam could/would fit under the bridge - the timing was critical - must be at low water when there will be the minumum 2 metres clearance required by Sydney Ports for a cruise ship to sail under the bridge. The highest point is not the funnel. It is the adt navigation light. He seemed to be aware of the interest in this. And no I did not ask what would happen if the O missed the timing on the way in. Presumably the newly maintained azipods will get her across the ditch in time on Jan 2nd? I think that is the first sail under. The bridge visit was up there with the laundry as the high point of the tour. Colleen

Update on the Oosterdam debate. Captain Draper confirmed that the Oosterdam could/would fit under the bridge - the timing was critical - must be at low water when there will be the minumum 2 metres clearance required by Sydney Ports for a cruise ship to sail under the bridge. The highest point is not the funnel. It is the adt navigation light. He seemed to be aware of the interest in this. And no I did not ask what would happen if the O missed the timing on the way in. Presumably the newly maintained azipods will get her across the ditch in time on Jan 2nd? I think that is the first sail under. The bridge visit was up there with the laundry as the high point of the tour. Colleen

Thats amazing....

I hope they let the TV and Media know as an event like that would bring Sydney to a stanstill.:D

I hope they are right. It might be worth going down to watch. 2m is not allot of clearence considering the ship is likely to be high in the water due to all the fuel it will consume on the way over. I wonder if Vista ships can suck in ballast water to bring their hull lower in the water.

Assuming that the Captain is right then it may suggest that the height given to me by HAL on their facebook page is actually Keel to funnel rather than waterline.

Either way it is not allot of room.

It will be like when QM2 sailed into New York on her maiden call . She had to pass under the Verrazano Bridge , and I remember a picture being posted of an Officer standing on top of the funnel with a measuring stick , which showed there was only 1 metre to spare. :eek:

Thanks for this information.

You mention the laundry tour, was any mention made as to whether passengers laundry is washed and dried at high temperatures?

Some posters on the HAL boards state that the clothing passengers send to the laundry is always dealt with at high temperatures.