Free Wi-Fi

AlwaysReadyToSail

In 5 weeks I will be cruising through the Mediterranean (Rome/Civitavecchia, Messina Sicily, Kudasai/Ephesus, Piraeus/Athens, Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, Naples), and was wondring if someone could please share locations of FREE WI-FI?

Also, I plan to dowload Viber & Skype. Does anyone have any reccommended apps for iPhone/iPad while cruising abroad? We would much rather spend our money on sights in these countries than in fees for data usage if at all possible, but we realize there are times where we will need to contact others.

Lastly, what are your experiences with Wi-Fi in Italy? Do we need a password? How is this obtained?

Any web resources that I can use so that I can plan out where and when I can access free wi-fi?

We will not list places since things are always changing, but we seldom have a problem finding free WiFi in Europe. Regarding Civitavecchia, if you take the free port shuttle to the port entrance and walk out of the port you will see a wide street across the street (to your left). On the left side of this street there is a McDonalds that has free WiFi...but we personally prefer the cafe/ice cream place on the opposite side of the street where they even have outdoor tables. We will go in there and get ice cream or a capuccino and ask for their WiFi Password. The connection is really fast and you will often see some crew members at this friendly place.

In Kusadasi there are many cafes that offer free WiFi. We often will just walk along the water (there is a promanade to your left as you exit the terminal building) and there is a restaurant/cafe right along this promanade (its free standing) that has pretty decent free WiFi. There is also free WiFi at a Starbucks located right inside the cruise terminal, but we find this place is often crowded and very slow.

As to Passwords, in Italy we do find that a majority of the free WiFi places do have passwords. But its just a matter of buying a cup of coffee (which we would do anyway).

One hint: Many of the crew use free WiFi ashore and really know where to go. So just ask a crew member and they will often give you the latest and best info.

Hank

Other apps to check out are WhatsApp and Touch(formerly Ping)

Both are texting apps working off of Wifi. We use both with our DD in Rome.

Similarities- Both send text and pictures, work on wifi. In the US they work without wifi (3G/4G). Both work cross platform. At home we have AT&T iPhones. DD has used unlocked Blackberries and IPhones purchased in the US and Italy and has used several Italian services including Vodaphone and Tim. No problems with any of them.

Differences-

WhatsApp needs a phone number to work (for your ID) and it will also work when the 'phone' part is turned off. Seemingly unlimited amount of characters. Last time I checked this was 99c on iTunes.

Touch does not need a phone number, it assigns it's own ID number. Making it good for iTouches and other devices that can not get a phone number. Characters are limited to 144 per text.

When I got this it was free.

Archived