Thomson Cruises Considering Rebrand

So....Mr Ellacott if you're watching

Most of us like the idea of a newer bigger ship with more cabin choices to suit all budgets

Many of us like the idea of thomsons cruises being a branded product in its own right just as long the words 'Island' and 'escape' don’t feature in the new brand

Many of us like the idea of a few new itineraries (maybe even the odd world cruise perhaps broken down into segments to suit all budgets) far east is coming out tops here

a fair proportion of us would pay an extra premium for a sensatori at sea:cool:

but:

most would like to see the traditional British cruising experience to staying pretty much the same

many of us don’t like the idea of any international costa style tinkering with the entertainment/food/product, especially the entertainment

many of us don’t really like the idea of too much family friendly resort style tinkering either

so:

a fair proportion of us would like to see the cruise and stay product developed.....you could sell 2 holidays in one here;)

majesty is not working very well for many of us

on the island escape you could hold a very successful car boot sale on deck on a sunday morning (sorry! that just slipped out):o

we all seem to like the idea of the mein Thomson schiff .....and (by pure happenchance)......its on the market:cool:

You've summed it up brilliantly, Geomagot.

So I'd better tell my children the bank of mum and dad is running out as I'm saving up to go to the Far East on the Thomson Bliss.:rolleyes:

You've summed it up brilliantly, Geomagot.

So I'd better tell my children the bank of mum and dad is running out as I'm saving up to go to the Far East on the Thomson Bliss.:rolleyes:

IF Thomson do get a new build and they go for the name Thomson Bliss, I better get a free cruise to the Far East for coming up with the name for them! :D ;)

ahhhh........the Thomson Bliss:cool: its got a good ring to it.......I can just see me now.......enjoying a sensatori sauna followed by a free gourmet room service afternoon tea with real dairy cream, in a fluffy complementary bathrobe & slippers, on my glass fronted balcony with the stunning skyline of Kowloon in the background gently twinkling in the twilight.....ahhhh......this is more bliss than is healthy....get me on that ship!

ahhhh........the Thomson Bliss:cool: its got a good ring to it.......I can just see me now.......enjoying a sensatori sauna followed by a free gourmet room service afternoon tea with real dairy cream, in a fluffy complementary bathrobe & slippers, on my glass fronted balcony with the stunning skyline of Kowloon in the background gently twinkling in the twilight.....ahhhh......this is more bliss than is healthy....get me on that ship!

I think you might have to keep dreaming for a while geomagot! :D

Well, till at least 2015 anyway...

IF Thomson do get a new build and they go for the name Thomson Bliss, I better get a free cruise to the Far East for coming up with the name for them! :D ;)

And can I come too - promise to do a R....E...A...L...L...Y long review when we get back! :D:D

For what its worth the best selling point of Thomsons cruises at present as far as Mr & Mrs Len are concerned is the balance between formal & informal nights on board. Passengers can do the formal part or not depending on what they want. The entire ship is not designated as formal on some nights. Also, there is not the confusion between formal, sem-formal & casual.

For us with a mainly UK & Ireland based clientel it creates a good atmosphere but we feel on recent cruises we have met more snobbish people. If the nationalities of customers is increased then they have to be catered for differently in terms of food & drink, entertainment, communicating & safety etc.

Itineraries are the next most important aspect. It is nice to be able to cruise to new ares but this may inevitably result in increased costs & minor logistical irritations such as visas & injections. One-off cruises to areas further afield has its appeal. We have done cruise & stays several times & like the split holidays.

If Thomsons go too far down the luxury line then inevitably prices will increase & in our view the atmosphere among passengers will worsen. We prefer to spent money on visiting resorts rather than on cabins & drink etc.

One basic way of improving the branding would be the ability to reserve a cabin when booking the cruise.

We love the branding "Island", car boot sales & "escape" for those wanting to get shot for deserting the ship.:)

In our view the traditional British type of cruise is NOT thankfully provided by Thomsons as the Thomsons cruise experience is a minority when compared to the likes of Fred Olsen, Saga & P&O. We would say formal dining, afternoon tea etc. is more like a traditional British cruise. More balconies would be good to accomodate our butler & pastry chef:D

but we feel on recent cruises we have met more snobbish people.

If Thomsons go too far down the luxury line then inevitably prices will increase & in our view the atmosphere among passengers will worsen.

More balconies would be good to accomodate our butler & pastry chef:D

..... I was just leaning back on my servant as he was polishing my top hat....and was thinking the exact same thing?? spooky!:D:D

And can I come too - promise to do a R....E...A...L...L...Y long review when we get back! :D:D

Of course, as long as it is a review of at least 2000 words! :D :D

Although I think we might be dreaming at the moment. A brand new ship would be a huge step up from the best they have at the moment, probably Thomson Dream. Between Dream and a new build, I would think that midway would be Mein Schiff. It just seems such a huge step up. Perhaps this new build is for a different cruise line completely, still Thomson but a more premium line. :confused:

As for the Far East, is seems that Mexico and Central America is still winning by 100 votes. :( At least Thailand and the Far East is second.

Of course, as long as it is a review of at least 2000 words! :D :D

Although I think we might be dreaming at the moment. A brand new ship would be a huge step up from the best they have at the moment, probably Thomson Dream. Between Dream and a new build, I would think that midway would be Mein Schiff. It just seems such a huge step up. Perhaps this new build is for a different cruise line completely, still Thomson but a more premium line. :confused:

As for the Far East, is seems that Mexico and Central America is still winning by 100 votes. :( At least Thailand and the Far East is second.

I know, why are people voting to go there??:confused:

On last years caribbean cruises most of the complaints were about Venezuela and I'm sure most of the other countries will be on a par with this.

p.s. I'm comming too:D

On last years caribbean cruises most of the complaints were about Venezuela and I'm sure most of the other countries will be on a par with this.

I'm a bit surprised too - not because of anything negative about the Caribbean/Mexico but just because that area has been on offer to us for some time. I would have imagined more people would have been there than to the Far East so I'd have assumed that there would be a greater interest in something different and a bit more exotic. :confused:

Well there's at least two of us signed up for it - wonder if we'll get the biggest AI for the earliest bookings!!!!! :D:D

I'm a bit surprised too - not because of anything negative about the Caribbean/Mexico but just because that area has been on offer to us for some time. I would have imagined more people would have been there than to the Far East so I'd have assumed that there would be a greater interest in something different and a bit more exotic. :confused:

Well there's at least two of us signed up for it - wonder if we'll get the biggest AI for the earliest bookings!!!!! :D:D

Agree regarding Mexico and Central America. Caribbean has been offered now for quite some time, so I would think that something completely different would be better i.e. Far East. I suppose the reason why it has more votes is because of the popularity of Mexico (or mainly Cancun). I think it is the fastest growing destination for Thomson at the moment. A cruise around here doesn't really appeal much to me.

I am wondering whether people voting for Mexico and Central America are thinking of the 'Mexican Riviera' such as Acapulco, on the Pacific coast? If so, then that is out, because cruise lines no longer call there due to the level of violence in those ports.

I am wondering whether people voting for Mexico and Central America are thinking of the 'Mexican Riviera' such as Acapulco, on the Pacific coast? If so, then that is out, because cruise lines no longer call there due to the level of violence in those ports.

I've got a feeling if they do go of these results in the poll, I'm would guess they'd probably just operate a second ship in the Caribbean, like they have before, and just dock in a couple of ports in Mexico or Venezuela region.

I've got a feeling if they do go of these results in the poll, I'm would guess they'd probably just operate a second ship in the Caribbean, like they have before, and just dock in a couple of ports in Mexico or Venezuela region.

Yes, probably Cozumel and Costa Maya. They are the two Caribbean Mexican ports which cruise lines use a lot. It is just that I think the poll should be clearer as to whether they mean Pacific or Caribbean Mexico. I think voters may misinterpret the question as it stands, since it is very vague. Personally, I favour the Far East too!

There seems to be alot of discussion on destinations at the minute this is my plan:

Dream - Western Med - Summer (popular)

Caribbean - Winter (popular)

Celebration - Canaries - Summer (popular)

Red Sea/Holy Land - Winter (popular)

Sprit - Baltic/Norway - Summer (no flying)

World Cruise - Winter (a lot of demand)

New ship (bliss?) - Eastern Med/ Black Sea - Summer

Far East - Winter (popular)

Island Escape - Uk Cruises - Summer (close to home)

The Gulf - Winter (water parks ect for families)

Island Majesty - Red Sea/Holy Land - Summer (popular)

South Pacific - Winter (Sun)

Been doing a little bit of investigating and looking at the major cruise ship builders website, and I can't find anything that could be a Thomson ship. I would think that if they were telling staff that they were having a new build, then perhaps it would state on a ship builders website a cruise line had a contract but the liner wasn't yet being disclosed. Perhaps they have to wait until an official press announcement comes from Thomson themselves. :confused: Or perhaps a new build is purely rumour (and possibly hope).

smiffy1951, did the manageress say much about the new build ship, or was it just that they were going to have one? :)

There seems to be alot of discussion on destinations at the minute this is my plan:

Dream - Western Med - Summer (popular)

Caribbean - Winter (popular)

Celebration - Canaries - Summer (popular)

Red Sea/Holy Land - Winter (popular)

Sprit - Baltic/Norway - Summer (no flying)

World Cruise - Winter (a lot of demand)

New ship (bliss?) - Eastern Med/ Black Sea - Summer

Far East - Winter (popular)

Island Escape - Uk Cruises - Summer (close to home)

The Gulf - Winter (water parks ect for families)

Island Majesty - Red Sea/Holy Land - Summer (popular)

South Pacific - Winter (Sun)

I've always wondered why they have never done Canary Islands cruises in the summer? Perhaps there just isn't the demand for it and with not many options in the winter, its a good place for them to go then. As I would have thought that the weather would be quite good that time of year, most certainly a better crossing between Madeira and Agadir. But it seems that hardly any cruise lines choose to sail in the Canary Islands in the summer months. I often thought perhaps it would be too hot, but they've now started to do Egypt all year round so perhaps this isn't the reason. :confused:

Good list though. I think 2014 will be the same as 2013, due to no expiring leases and also, if there is a new build, I think summer 2015 would be the earliest date. Think I'd go for something like this:

Thomson Bliss:

S14 - Western Med from Palma

W14/15 - Caribbean from Barbados

Mein Schiff 1 (lets name it Thomson Elation ;)):

S14 - Eastern Med & the Black Sea from Corfu

W14/15 - Far East from Thailand

Thomson Dream:

S14 - Eastern Med & the Black Sea from Marmaris (but ideally, if transport and port problems weren't an issue, Bodrum)

W14/15 - Canary Islands from Tenerife/Gran Canaria (would like Funchal option to return too)

Thomson Celebration:

S14 - Scandinavia, the Baltic & the UK from Newcastle/Harwich/Liverpool

W14/15 - Red Sea from Sharm El Sheikh

Island Majesty:

S14 - Western Med from Palma

W14/15 - BACK TO LOUIS :confused: or possibly a second ship in the Caribbean (maybe this one from Dominican Republic)

Island Escape:

S14 - Eastern Med from Limassol, Cyprus

W14/15 - Canary Islands also maybe :confused: or perhaps just doesn't operate like currently.

Archived