Single parent documentation

Nrknits

I have a friend who is going through a divorce (nasty) and is taking her kids on a cruise this summer. She doesn't think her husband will sign the release needed to travel with her kids. Sh'es thinking of just showing up and playing dumb. I think she'll spend the week in Fl and not on the ship if she does that. Does anyone have experience with traveling with kids and one parent. Who check for the release, immigration or princess? Do they check or is it something you have "just in case"? Thanks for reponding, I'll let her know what those of you with experience say.

I don't think I would chance it.

With all the publicity (good and bad) re non-custodial parent kidnapping their own children, law enforcement and civil authorities much pickier than they used to be. None want to be named as aiding and abetting a major civil problem, nor do the shipping companies want to get involved.

We went on a cruise out of Vancouver 2 summers ago, myself, daughter and her 4 kids (no husbands). My daughter has legal custody of her 3 children and is married to father of 4th child.

She took her divorce papers and a notarized letter from 4th child's father.

Yes she had to show all of the documents when boarding the ship, going through immigration US (boarding the ship) and again at boarder going back into USA.

I would recommend she has some type of document giving her custody of the kids, as she could be denied boarding if she does not.

My experience is the luck of the draw. But one's chances keep going down as Homeland security issues keep rising.

In 2002 husband and I were taking niece and nephew on an airline WITHIN the states (Kansas to FL) and had notarized travel forms from both parents, photocopies of both parent's Driver Licenses, and state ID cards for the kids. Still scrutinized closely by airline check-in person to make sure we were not kidnappers. I think they were planning to interview the kids alone in a back room until their mom stepped forward (she drove us to the airport) and said it was OK for us to take them.

Have a friend who wanted to drive across border between Washington and Canada with her son for a long weekend in Vancouver. (Pre 9-11, had birth certificates and IDs). Was stopped by Canadian border people and denied entry since father was not in car and had not signed a release form. Friend had proof of reservation, and future reservations in US for return trip, vacation form from work, etc. but No Go, she could be an international kidnapper. Guard freely admitted that if she had picked up some strange guy in the car they would have been waved past on the assumption it was a father, mother and child!

I am not sure if trip insurance considers this type of denied boarding to be a "covered reason", but I would certainly find out in writing before risking this amount of money.

My ex wouldn't sign so I had my lawyer ask the court for permission. I now have a court order that says I can take our children out of the country and there is not much he can do about it. He didn't show up in court so the judge just signed the order. My lawyer said even if he had shown up, unless there was a really, really good reason why I shouldn't be allowed to take them out of the country, the judge would have signed it anyways.

It is right in the brochure about this.

Someday I would like to take our grandson with us and I would have to have a notorized letter signed by both my son and DIL. Also, when the kids reach 14 they can get their own passports.

I certainly would not take the chance and there goes your money to boot.

Call the ex - if he won't sign, see your lawyer right away. Who knows when you can get a court date.:(

I would definitely not play dumb. My sister just took my niece on a cruise without her husband. They asked her for the notarized letter that her husband signed allowing her to take her daughter on the trip.

IMHO, it is very risky to take this type of chance!

Princess checks the travel documentation for minors VERY closely. In my experience I would say she would be making a very expensive mistake.

I have never had an airline ask even on international flights. Immigration is 50-50 but the cruiselines ALWAYS ask!!

Scott

I am taking my 5 kids on RCCL in september and 2 of them are from my ex husband and it was made known that we need the notarized letter. If he won't allow that then contact Princess and ask if they will accept just the custody agreement, carnival did, but I would check deeper to make sure the person that told me that was correct and if anyone tells her that. You know people make those kind of mistakes all the time

It's the luck of draw. I'm divorced and travel with my DS all the time. On my first cruise, no one asked for any paperwork even though I had all the necessary paperwork. On my second cruise, I had to present the paper work both at embarkation and disembarkation. IMHO, she shouldn't take a chance.

Even if it were to all work out, there is potential fall out. There is no way the father won't find out from the kids about the trip. If he is really vindictive as indicated, the fact that she "took the kids out of the country without permission" may wind up as part of the custody hearings.

I would bet (hope) that this isn't covered by insurance as it is plainly and clearly foreseeable. The rest of us shouldn't have to pay higher insurance rates to cover loses of people who consciously take unnecessary risks. She needs to get the doc signed, or get an order from the judge, and be done with it or cancel the cruise before final payment.

Thanks to everyone for responding. It was what I expected, but since I am lucky enough not to have this problem I thought it would have more meaning if I could let her know about first hand experience. Thanks again, I appreciate you help. Nancy

My friend's TA "mentioned" that if she had somebody that would notarize the letter for her after it was signed, for her to just sign her ex's name on the paper! It worked fine! I know it's not "morally" or legally right but....why should the kids get punished and not get to cruise just because Dad is mad at Mom? He evidently never even thought about it afterwards...or didn't really care. She thought about having the kids ask him to sign it but...that would probably have made it worse. It could cause problems in a custody battle though, I guess.

My friend's TA "mentioned" that if she had somebody that would notarize the letter for her after it was signed, for her to just sign her ex's name on the paper! It worked fine! I know it's not "morally" or legally right but....why should the kids get punished and not get to cruise just because Dad is mad at Mom? He evidently never even thought about it afterwards...or didn't really care. She thought about having the kids ask him to sign it but...that would probably have made it worse. It could cause problems in a custody battle though, I guess.

If I am reading this correctly, your friend forged her ex's sig on the letter and a notary was an accomplice to the fraud?? If this is true then she is in major league trouble. If she is in the midst of a custody battle, all her ex has to do is point out the fraud to the court and not only would she lose her kid(s) but would also find herself arrested for several major felonies (fraud, forgery, kidnapping to name a few). She most definitely should have asked her lawyer for help. All the attorney would have had to do was to have called family court, explained what was going on, and would have received the necessary court docs allowing her to take her kids with no problem. BTW, do you know you need such a notorized letter to even transport your kids over state lines unless it's specifically spelled out in the custody agreement? Especially vital in a custody battle as all an ex has to do then is call the cops and claim the kids have been kidnapped.

I have been on 4 cruises (three on Princess, one on Carnival) with my 2 sisters and their children. Both are single parents. They always come with the proper paperwork proving they have the right to travel with the children, however NEVER has anyone asked to see it even though one of the children is black (adopted) and the rest of the family is white and there are multiple last names involved. I believe the chances of her not making it onto the ship are slim, however if it were me, I probably would still not risk it due to the expense involved. Also, she should keep in mind that if she takes them out of the country without the proper documentation, she may actually be breaking the law and her ex-husband could cause her trouble if he were to find out about it.

If I were her I would negotiate (beg, bribe or whatever) with the ex-husband (perhaps through the attorneys) to get him to sign the notarized statement or work through the court system to get a court order authorizing travel.

I'm surprised you found a notary public who would do this since they are breaking the law and risking their license. The whole purpose of having a notarized statement is to prove the authenticity of the signatures and it is the primary duty of the notary to verify the identity of the parties AND personally witness the signing. Notarizing a statement AFTER it has been signed is a HUGE no-no!

It is right in the brochure about this.

Someday I would like to take our grandson with us and I would have to have a notorized letter signed by both my son and DIL. Also, when the kids reach 14 they can get their own passports.

You do not have to wait for them to turn 14 for a passport. My step kids are 10 and 13 and have had their passports for almost two years.

This statement of a forged letter to allow the children to be taken out of the country sends real chills up my spine. I sure hope the woman in question realizes what can and may happen to her over this? If (and there is no doubt that "if" should be replaced by the word "WHEN") the X-Husband finds out about this, if he is smart, he will end up with custody of his children. She could even face prosecution for this. It just isn't worth the chance. Needless to say, the notary that witnessed the signature that wasn't valid will also no longer be a notary.

All this over a cruise that could actually change the rest of this woman's life along with her children's lives. It isn't worth it!

I took my 17 year old grandson on a cruise through the panama canal in April, just a few days before he was 18, had all the necessary documentation from both parents and when we checked in Princess looked at it very close. He also had his passport.:)

Also, I just received our pre- cruise documents and in the 'cruise answer book' there is quite a lengthy statement about what is needed and what WILL be checked at booking.

Security is much different now then it ever was and I will be very surprised if Princess (and other lines) do not go to lengths to varify that the child traveling with only one parent has the proper documentation.

Archived