First time snorkeling questions

GrammaJo128

Gran, an REI just opened up in Rookwood Commons today. They sell outdoors recreational stuff, like snorkels.

MrSchwump, you sure make me look like I know nothing about this area!! LOL

Thanks for another great tip! I had never even heard of rei. My husband was in rookwood two hours ago and he could have stopped by to check it out. Again, thanks to you both. We will go there tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the same situation.. first time cruiser.. and I want to try snorkeling but can not get my husband in the water... I am in my late 50's and my husband 60's... I got snorkel gear through ebay. I took it to the pool a couple of times and I am glad it worked for me. I am blind as a bat without my glasses so I decided to get contacts since I have worn them in the past, instead of getting a prescription mask, after the mask comes off I need correction right-a-way to find the boat. :D I am also on the NCL Pearl in November to the same locations. I found a excursion from the Shore Excursions group that has snorkeling off a glass bottom boat(for my hubby)in Cozumel. My biggest concern is getting back on the boat. I do not do well using the small ladders on smaller boats. No upper arm strength and I can climb a regular ladder if I can pull from over my head.

I will be really intersted in hearing how it went for you.:)

As promised I'm letting you know how it went. We had purchased complete sets of snorkel gear for both of us. Fit was pretty good! I think each set was about $75.00, so I'm sure it's not top of the line. We went to Great Stirrup Cay and tried it all out. They kept saying there was sunken treasures and other things that they purposely placed in the water and that fish were plentiful. We did not find one sunken treasure (believe me we tried!). We did see a few colorful fish, and the stingrays - through the fence - so it's not like we saw them up real close. Overall we were disappointed in what we saw at GSC. We did get to practice though, and that was worth it's wait in gold. It is more tiresome than I could have imagined! Anyway, thanks to Hurricane Sandy, we had to be rerouted and so we did not get to snorkel in Grand Caymen as originally planned. They did offer a couple of snorkel excursions but with being so new and not being able to research the alternate ports, we just had booked a beach break for Costa Maya which you could snorkel off the beach. We saw one star fish, and that was it! Nothing but grass everywhere we snorkeled. I'm glad we weren't some of the poor people who paid to rent the snorkel equipment when there was virtually nothing to see! Hopefully next cruise we'll get a chance to really snorkel.

Considering some of the cruises being stuck out at sea (on the east coast) or not being able to leave as scheduled, we count ourselves very lucky indeed! I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did! If you remember, let me know how yours goes! Bon voyage!

• 5 weeks later...
Considering some of the cruises being stuck out at sea (on the east coast) or not being able to leave as scheduled, we count ourselves very lucky indeed! I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did! If you remember, let me know how yours goes! Bon voyage!

I just got home Monday from my first cruise. I did not try snorkeling at Great Stirrip Cay ..the water was not clear and Sandy did a number on the beach.. you had to walk over a couple ft of rock before you were able to reach sand on the bottom. Anyone going soon I suggest taking water shoes. Plans for the snorkel and stingrays on Grand Cayman were cancelled because the water was too ruff. I got to try snorkeling for the first time in Cozumel. The group was small and they were very good with first timers. After a little panic at first, I slowed down my breathing and enjoyed myself. There were only a few different kinds of fish and not much coral, but for a first timer it was wonderful. Guides were very helpfull getting back in the boat and assisted taking off the flippers. I would go again. :D

Archived