First time snorkeling questions

GrammaJo128

You don't need a dive shop. Just try as sports store, like Dick's. I do recommend you try it out in a pool firt. I have seen people just jump in water over their head and never get started, because its hard to tread water, adjust mask all at the same time. Especially if there is any chop.

You need something to wear to and from the boat. Some coral, and critters, can be sharp. Most of the time underwater I have been diving and not snorkeling. If you have full foot fins you might be alright just wearing them. I usually had Scubapro fins with a strap in the back and wore wet suit boots. Beach shoes will work fine too and be cheaper if you don't happen to have a full wet suit.

Good idea. We have beach shoes. We will be renting fins this first time out. Thanks.

It is important to get the right fit for a mask, I wouldn't recommend ordering it off the Internet. As for defog, the best I have found it diluted baby shampoo is a small spray bottle. Spray liberally, then one dunk in the water and put your mask on your face immediately. Don't put it on your forehead where it can fog up. If you have sanitary concerns with renting full foot fin, they do have think neoprene socks that you can purchase. Do a google search for a local dive shop, you might be surprised, there might be one near you.

All very good to learn! I did do a search and I was very shocked to learn we have one within 30 mins. Go figure! Thank you so much.

I am in the same situation.. first time cruiser.. and I want to try snorkeling but can not get my husband in the water... I am in my late 50's and my husband 60's... I got snorkel gear through ebay. I took it to the pool a couple of times and I am glad it worked for me. I am blind as a bat without my glasses so I decided to get contacts since I have worn them in the past, instead of getting a prescription mask, after the mask comes off I need correction right-a-way to find the boat. :D I am also on the NCL Pearl in November to the same locations. I found a excursion from the Shore Excursions group that has snorkeling off a glass bottom boat(for my hubby)in Cozumel. My biggest concern is getting back on the boat. I do not do well using the small ladders on smaller boats. No upper arm strength and I can climb a regular ladder if I can pull from over my head.

I will be really intersted in hearing how it went for you.:)

I will definitely post and let you know, but I will tell you that I will have the exact same problem! One of the most embarrassing moments of my life was when I couldn't climb back up into a boat. It took two guys pulling and DH pushing on my behind! I was totally embarrassed. I was also twenty years younger, so I'm confident I'm only weaker. I can laugh about it now, but then it was not funny! I was probably 30 lbs overweight, (I had just had my third child) so it made me feel like everyone thought it was because I was heavy. But mostly it's because I've never had any upper body strength. I wonder if it is common that when snorkeling you have to dive off a boat? Gosh, if it is, then I may be better off not even trying to invest in equipment. Good luck with yours! I'll let you know if we decide to try it or not.

Hubby (DH) and I had never snorkeled before and booked 2 different excursions that both involved snorkeling advertised suitable for beginners. NOT!!!

The first time (Cozumel), my flotation would not hold air and no one offered to replace it or explain the correct way to adjust the snorkel, mask etc. Several of us were having problems and the guide said if we could catch up quickly we could come on, but they would not give instruction or wait for us. We did not go. DH had issues with water leaking in around his mask - no one told him he needed vaseline or something similar in areas of his mustache, beard. Also, if you've never had fins on your feet, it is very difficult to get the hang of working those heavy things. He went on out with the group, lagging behind quite a bit, but finally caught up and said staying up with the group was pretty difficult.

The second time (Cayman Island), I did not give it a try as the water, although only about 10 feet deep, was pretty wavy. This crew had vaseline ready for the guys with facial hair issues, helped folks get their gear on properly, and DH had a much better time.

My sincerest recommendation if you have never done it before is find some equipment to borrow (or buy cheaply) and find a swimming pool to practice in. It is a very different sensation and a lot to try to deal with if you've never done it before. If we do another snorkel excursion, I will make it a point to practice and be comfortable with it before the cruise. I know I will enjoy it next time !! :)

I've snorkeled quite a bit and really enjoy it! I have to say snorkeling with a ship's excursion was NOT always the easiest for me. They often take you out by a small boat to deeper water....and....BOOM you're far from shore in 20 feet+ water where it can be choppy and have some stronger currents. It's not easy to see in that deep of water and what you do see is too far down to see clearly.

I much prefer snorkeling from the shore or at least in the shallows. You will see the most colorful small fish in 3-10 feet of water.

At Great Stirrup Cay you can just wade out from the shore as the beach is a gently slope, mostly soft sand. You might not see much corals but you will still see some small colorful fish and can practice your snorkel technique.

At Grand Caymen the snorkeling is great. You can walk from the pier along the water and there is public accesses to the ocean. Walk for aways and look for areas where people are gathered or for where there shoes are! Usually there is a small ladder there to help you get in the water. The water is shallow, clear and lots of fish and soft corals.

After seeing both of your replies, I am confident that I do not want to do the excursions way out and definitely don't want to risk a crew not willing to guide us on equipment etc. That's awful! I do think GSC and GC both sound more like what I envisioned, and we decide to go I will take that advice and snorkel in shallow areas. We are rethinking it though, because we simply do not have access to a pool to practice in. I'm wondering if we should just forget it for this cruise, and maybe get a chance to practice next year when we have access to pools. Our weather turned cool very quickly and the few people I know who have pools, have closed them up for the winter.

After seeing both of your replies, I am confident that I do not want to do the excursions way out and definitely don't want to risk a crew not willing to guide us on equipment etc. That's awful! I do think GSC and GC both sound more like what I envisioned, and we decide to go I will take that advice and snorkel in shallow areas. We are rethinking it though, because we simply do not have access to a pool to practice in. I'm wondering if we should just forget it for this cruise, and maybe get a chance to practice next year when we have access to pools. Our weather turned cool very quickly and the few people I know who have pools, have closed them up for the winter.

I suggest you go to the Port of Call threads for where you will be going.

Post there, subject "snorkeling - first time beginner suggestions".

When we were in St. Thomas, we booked a private excursion with the Fury. They took us out to a reef, island, no currents, safe, turtles everywhere, coral reefs, instructors were great, equipment was good.

It was tremendous, so, do the research on the ports you will be visiting, and plan accordingly. Sounds to me this is something you want to do, and it is do-able, and I am sure you will have a great experience.

Good luck.

Yes, we really do want to at least experience it once or twice. I wish I could feel o.k. with just renting the equipment, but I just don't trust that they sanitize it all that well. I will post it over on the ports of call. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Thanks again everyone. I won't bore you all with individual responses, but everyone gave me a much clearer picture of what to expect. I didn't even think of Dick's! I was picturing a scuba diving store which I'm sure there is one within an hour, but seemed like a hassle when I have Amazon. :D

We are going to the Western Caribbean. Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen and NCL's private island. I know we will only snorkel in GC and Great Stirrup Cay. We are booking a private tour in Jamaica and it doesn't have time for snorkeling.

Two more questions, if you all would be so kind. If we bring our own mask and snorkel, and then rent fins, do we need a special kind of snorkeling sock or something? or do you just go barefoot? (which also doesn't sound sanitary). Also, a friend of mine got sea sick when she snorkeled. Is that common?

We snorkeled in Freeport, Bahamas, last year on an NCL excursion. The catamaran took us to an area where the water depth was about 20 feet and crystal clear. We were all first-time snorkelers (my parents are in their 60s and enjoyed it!). Picked it up pretty easily, but using the fins and the mask took a bit of getting used to. Having the lifevests, we were able to float around, and there were a few people who stayed attached to the tow rope and snorkeled close to the catamaran. Seemed like a lot of first-timers on our excursion! Wish we would have brought our own masks, because we were also iffy about the sanitization of them. Will bring our own (bought it at Target this summer) on our Epic cruise in January!

As for seasickness, we did have choppy water and waves so two of us did get sick. However, since it was our first time, we weren't sure if we'd swallowed a little bit of seawater or if it was the waves that made us sick. We were fine once back on the ship, but will be taking seasickness meds if we do a snorkeling excursion in January.

Friends that were with us snorkeled off the beach in GSC and really enjoyed it. They said the snorkeling from the beach wasn't as good as if they were a bit further out in the ocean, but still enjoyed it.

Have a great cruise!

GrammaJo, there are several dive shops in this area! I'm in Cincinnati too and can think of at least 4 or 5 and a couple more in N. Ky. Try Cincinnati Diving Center on Winton Rd for starters.

I would NOT buy a mask on Amazon. It has to fit the shape and size of your face pretty well to a avoid excess leaking. Adjustability is important too.

Have fun!

GrammaJo hi,

I understand your concerns about just how sterilized rental snorkel equipment would be. One thought, you could carry hand sanitizer and sanitize the mouth piece and nose area of the rental equipment before use and then rinse in sea water. That should get it real clean.

I've been snorkeling and freediving for years and I love it! It's so amazing to see another world underwater. It's very peaceful and easy to do!

Unless a person has a small or large head, the average face mask sold in a sports store should work just fine. And of course they are returnable if you buy the wrong size. Just buy well in advance of your cruise. The fins are harder to pack so maybe it's a good idea to rent them?

When I first bought my snorkel mask and tube, I took them home, tried them on, adjust the strap and then filled up the bathtub and tried them out there!

As someone else mentioned get some anti fog spray for the mask as without it the mask will fog up in the ocean.

If you do go snorkeling and I hope you do, PLEASE post back and tell us about it.

Oh! We are very close to Winton Road. I wonder why I didn't see anything on my search? (I was on my phone, so I don't think I miss things trying to scroll through that little screen. LOL) We thought we'd go to that Bass Pro shop off of 275, but Winton Road would be a lot closer. I'm going to look them up right now. I wonder why Cincy has so many dive shops? In my very, very newbie state, I just assumed dive shops would be near oceans. Thanks so much for that info!

The standard way to keep a mask unfogged is to spit in it, rub the saliva on the inside of the glass (perspex), and rinse it in the sea. It works just as well as anti-fog spray, so as long as the spit doesn't put you off, it's fine.

I've snorkelled on ship's tours three times, all from a boat, but all three had ladders going a little way below the water line to help climb back on. The guides will be helpful as to taking your fins off for you if needed.

Good to know about the bleach solution! I also love the idea of bringing extra sanitizer I can just use as another security measure. I guess I'll go to our dive shop here in see if I can get it reasonably priced, and if not, then I will feel better about the rental.

I am also glad to hear that the ladders usually go lower. I think that was one of my biggest worries. My new worry is jellyfish! I just have to quit researching or I'll talk myself out of doing it. Actually, I am determined to try it because I have always loved aquariums, so what better aquarium than the ocean? I will definitely report back on to how we liked it.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

65 years here.........

We pack masks & snorkles purchased from REI - many things to consider, size, fit, eye glasses, and my DH beard and moustache. You do not high priced professional gear

We have rent fins, but rarely - not in a hurry to get anywhere

The inflatable vests can usually be rented but we finally purchased some (very packable), we are strong swimmers, but nice to just float

Aqua shoes or socks are nice also, some areas are a little "rocky", our first pairs were somewhat heavy - so shop around, you can even wear them from tender to Stirrup Cay etc

Snorkeling is fun!

You can also purchase disposable underwater digital cameras on amazon, just do not get to busy taking photos and miss your snorkeling experiences

I am in the same situation.. first time cruiser.. and I want to try snorkeling but can not get my husband in the water... I am in my late 50's and my husband 60's... I got snorkel gear through ebay. I took it to the pool a couple of times and I am glad it worked for me. I am blind as a bat without my glasses so I decided to get contacts since I have worn them in the past, instead of getting a prescription mask, after the mask comes off I need correction right-a-way to find the boat. :D I am also on the NCL Pearl in November to the same locations. I found a excursion from the Shore Excursions group that has snorkeling off a glass bottom boat(for my hubby)in Cozumel. My biggest concern is getting back on the boat. I do not do well using the small ladders on smaller boats. No upper arm strength and I can climb a regular ladder if I can pull from over my head.

I will be really intersted in hearing how it went for you.:)

You do not have to snorkel from a boat, many beaches are great for snorkeling

Some boats have swim steps instead of ladders, you might check the reviews from cruisers on your ships shore tour listings

We did an organized snorkeling tour at Grand Caymen. They took us to an area with stingrays and a reef area. Both sites were great, the water was clear and I was able to get some nice pictures with my underwater camera.

65 years here.........

We pack masks & snorkles purchased from REI - many things to consider, size, fit, eye glasses, and my DH beard and moustache. You do not high priced professional gear

We have rent fins, but rarely - not in a hurry to get anywhere

The inflatable vests can usually be rented but we finally purchased some (very packable), we are strong swimmers, but nice to just float

Aqua shoes or socks are nice also, some areas are a little "rocky", our first pairs were somewhat heavy - so shop around, you can even wear them from tender to Stirrup Cay etc

Snorkeling is fun!

You can also purchase disposable underwater digital cameras on amazon, just do not get to busy taking photos and miss your snorkeling experiences

So are you saying we don't really need the fins? We do have the aqua shoes. What is REI?

The dive shop here was way too expensive considering we've never been snorkeling and what if we don't even like it? or worse yet, not like cruising? It was going to cost like $160.00 for each of us for a set. We found some at Dick's for $50.00 for the set, but they have to order different sizes in. They say the mask fits everyone because it's adjustable.

Modern snorkel mask with silicone seals (which is most all of them) fits 90% of the adults, unless someone has a really big or really small head. Scuba diving mask are more money and not needed just to float on the surface. You don't need fins, they do help you to swim with more ease BUT only important if you are swimming a long time or a long distances. Your aqua shoes will protect your feet from broken glass, etc and work fine. I ordered my stuff online and for fairly cheap.

Modern snorkel mask with silicone seals (which is most all of them) fits 90% of the adults, unless someone has a really big or really small head. Scuba diving mask are more money and not needed just to float on the surface. You don't need fins, they do help you to swim with more ease BUT only important if you are swimming a long time or a long distances. Your aqua shoes will protect your feet from broken glass, etc and work fine. I ordered my stuff online and for fairly cheap.

aqua shoes..?? do think I'll be ok in my Keen water sandles?

As above, fins are just for easily covering distance and a little more speed

Careful with a moustache, DH found the silicone was necessary

Keen sandals might be cumbersome, you like to float and kick a little, also some areas you are not allowed to walk/Step on coral - fun just to float and check things out, the sandals might drag you down

The Aqua shoes are nice to walk, some areas even nice beaches have rocky areas. Also work great if you have a ship beach day, ship to beach, then even just hanging out in the water. Again find lightweight ones, during the summer I found nice ones at Walmart and Walgreens

For anyone who is going on their first snorkel excursion- if at all possible get your gear and practice in a pool. Don't have your own pool, not a problem, is their a YMCA or other near you? A sample month at the local gym or health club. It's best not to try for the first time out in an ocean. The newer style fins are not difficult and can make a world of difference in your ability to keep up. Always know where the boat is and the others who came out with you. Some tour people are great, they count heads when going in the water and again when everyone is back in to make sure they don't leave anyone behind. Some not so much.

So are you saying we don't really need the fins? We do have the aqua shoes. What is REI?

The dive shop here was way too expensive considering we've never been snorkeling and what if we don't even like it? or worse yet, not like cruising? It was going to cost like $160.00 for each of us for a set. We found some at Dick's for $50.00 for the set, but they have to order different sizes in. They say the mask fits everyone because it's adjustable.

The strap is adjustable but the masks are different sizes for different face sizes.

Snorkeling was not really my thing, SCUBA was, but I always wore fins when snorkeling. Fins are a big help if you find yourself in a current you didn't know was there or drift too far away from where you started while looking at all the pretty stuff underwater. They let you cover more distance in the water faster and with less effort than barefoot or with shoes.

Archived