First time snorkeling questions

GrammaJo128

This is our first cruise and our first time trying to snorkel. It seems simple enough and it seems so peaceful and beautiful. They make it sound like just anyone can snorkel since they have excursions that even young kids can go on. Even though we've never done this, we want to buy our own masks and snorkels because of all the germs and problems with using equipment that 100's of others have used. (I wouldn't trust believing they've been perfectly sanitized!) We obviously would not buy expensive stuff (maybe $40.00 for the mask and snorkel) because we'd probably only be able to snorkel once a year. Who's to say we'll even like it.

Is a cheaper set like that adequate for the kind of snorkeling they'd offer on an excursion?

Is snorkeling fairly simple? We are in our mid 50's, so is it something even young grandparents ;) can learn to do?

Is it dangerous? Can you get caught up in strong currents and riptides? I think I read where sometimes you have to watch out for jet skis etc. So now I've become a little fearful of doing it. Any experienced answers that can help me decide if this is for us, would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a really great mask and snorkel set for $40 or less. Head to your nearest dive shop and let one of their people assist you in picking out something appropriate.

Many dive shops even have a pool where you can come back and practice. It isn't difficult and is very easy to learn.

As to currents: there are some areas that are considered "open water" but the guides typically tell less experienced swimmers to stay near the tow rope and where not to swim past. They have a vested interest in everyone having a good time and staying safe. I would go out with an organized tour rather than trying to head out into generic beach water that you are unfamiliar with and swim. The boater and jet skier issue can rear its head when you try and go alone in unfamiliar territory.

I would recommend investing in a small bottle of the dive mask anti-fog stuff. I keep it in my mask case and it is WAY better than spit in keeping your mask from fogging. Enjoy the swim it is WAY worth it.

For what it is worth: I bring my own mask, snorkel, and fins on my trips. I won't put a generic snorkel in my mouth either! YUK!

Snorkeling is easy and fun. You can't really hurt yourself because, unlike SCUBA, there is no compressed air. I would suggest you go to a dive shop because fit of mask and fins, especially mask, is important. Personally, I would be ok with renting fins but want my own mask and snorkel.

Is snorkeling fairly simple? We are in our mid 50's, so is it something even young grandparents ;) can learn to do?

Yes, it is relatively simple.

However, I would suggest that you book a snorkeling excursion. You will have an experienced crew, they will take you to a great snorkeling spot, no currents, with lots of great stuff to see, coral, turtles, fish.

If possible, see if you could get to a pool and do some practice.

Thanks everyone. We are both good swimmers, although with age and a few extra pounds, we probably don't have great endurance anymore, but we know all the different strokes etc.

I don't think we have a dive shop near us. Is it stupid to just order over the internet like from Amazon? Also, I'm assuming with excursions, you'd still pay the cruise ship price even if you don't need most of their equipment? It's still my preference to have our own, but was just curious about that.

Thanks everyone. We are both good swimmers, although with age and a few extra pounds, we probably don't have great endurance anymore, but we know all the different strokes etc.

Wearing the life vest, and using the fins, you really just float about, so it can be a lot less strenuous than swimming.

I'm assuming with excursions, you'd still pay the cruise ship price even if you don't need most of their equipment? It's still my preference to have our own, but was just curious about that.

Visit the Port of Call threads. Best snorkeling excursion we went on was at St. Thomas where we privately booked. Sailboat met us right at the ship, went out to some reef with turtles, and got dropped back right at the dock.

Wearing the life vest, and using the fins, you really just float about, so it can be a lot less strenuous than swimming.

Visit the Port of Call threads. Best snorkeling excursion we went on was at St. Thomas where we privately booked. Sailboat met us right at the ship, went out to some reef with turtles, and got dropped back right at the dock.

He's right about the vest....you can put as much air as you need.....I'm in my 50's and its so much fun....let them know you are first timers. Find a good snorkel outfit I would go with a private tour it will have less people.

I don't think we have a dive shop near us. Is it stupid to just order over the internet like from Amazon? Also, I'm assuming with excursions, you'd still pay the cruise ship price even if you don't need most of their equipment? It's still my preference to have our own, but was just curious about that.

Hi, future snorkelers! You are going to LOVE it! You really should try your mask on to get a good fit. Go to your local sporting Goods store like Dick's or Sports Authority. My sister and I got our US Divers set at Dick's about 6 years ago. I think we paid about $60 at that time for the snorkel, mask, duck fins (shorter and fatter fins) and the bag to carry it in. We sat in the floor at Dick's (I'm now 64- so I was 58 then and she was 53) and tried on masks. Our 80-something Mother pretended she didn't know us! Ha! Put it up to your face - make sure your forehead is hair-free - and suck in. If the mask stays in place, it's a good fit. My snorkel gear and bathing suit go in my carry-on when I cruise. If everything else goes missing, I WILL snorkel. Here's the secret to top of the water snorkeling - nothing fancy - the dead man's float. That's it, the secret is out. If you lie perfectly prone in the water and just look straight down, you snorkel will stay water-free (unless it's really choppy water) - use your arms to change direction and if you have fins, let them gently propel you. If you go on an organized snorkel (ship or private) they will give you a life vest which you must wear...don't over-inflate it or you will be uncomfortable. You will still pay full price for ship or private excursion even if you bring your own gear. Also, good news, the Caribbean is so salty that everyone is super buoyant anyway. Snorkeling does not have to be - should not be - stressful. It's not about swimming - it's about looking! And, what a treat that is! Just wait til you see your first Parrotfish! Where are you going, btw? If you are doing a walkout snorkel which you can at any beach, you often don't have to go over your head to see fish. There are alga covered rocks or coral near shore. I've also bought my own life vest (about $30 -which I also take in my carry-on) so I can feel more secure when I'm on my own. I've never needed it but it's nice to have. Once you try it - snorkeling - you may want to add to your gear, but a mask and snorkel are a good start - unless you can get a deal and get the fins, too. I love my little duck fins. It's worth it to have your own gear even if it's only used once a year!:D:D

Thanks again everyone. I won't bore you all with individual responses, but everyone gave me a much clearer picture of what to expect. I didn't even think of Dick's! I was picturing a scuba diving store which I'm sure there is one within an hour, but seemed like a hassle when I have Amazon. :D

We are going to the Western Caribbean. Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen and NCL's private island. I know we will only snorkel in GC and Great Stirrup Cay. We are booking a private tour in Jamaica and it doesn't have time for snorkeling.

Two more questions, if you all would be so kind. If we bring our own mask and snorkel, and then rent fins, do we need a special kind of snorkeling sock or something? or do you just go barefoot? (which also doesn't sound sanitary). Also, a friend of mine got sea sick when she snorkeled. Is that common?

Yes, it is relatively simple.

However, I would suggest that you book a snorkeling excursion. You will have an experienced crew, they will take you to a great snorkeling spot, no currents, with lots of great stuff to see, coral, turtles, fish.

If possible, see if you could get to a pool and do some practice.

I'm not a great swimmer (barely would call myself a weak swimmer) and did my very first snorkle while in Labadee. Probably wasn't my best pick as we jumped off of a boat in the middle of nowhere to do it :D Swimming against a current was something I had never done before. However the staff was wonderful and they offered to help pull me along when I got a little bit behind everyone else; having only a small party of only 8 on the trip really helped as well. I really enjoyed it but it wasn't at all what I had envisioned based on all of the other descriptions I had read because it was no where near any land. So ask lots of questions about how the snorkel is done and where.

We are going to the Western Caribbean. Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen and NCL's private island. I know we will only snorkel in GC and Great Stirrup Cay. We are booking a private tour in Jamaica and it doesn't have time for snorkeling.

Two more questions, if you all would be so kind. If we bring our own mask and snorkel, and then rent fins, do we need a special kind of snorkeling sock or something? or do you just go barefoot? (which also doesn't sound sanitary). Also, a friend of mine got sea sick when she snorkeled. Is that common?

I always go barefoot and have never seen anyone wear socks. i've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick on a snorkeling excursion. Usually if the water is that rough, small boats don't go out. And one more thing, you really do need a good fit on your mask. How will you know what size to order if you do it online? Good luck with everything and have fun!

We don't have a dive shop in the middle of the good USA either! :D We always bring our own snorkeling gear. Last year my husband was given a life vest that took on water in Belize :eek: , so this year we ordered personal blow-up vests (they flatten out for packing)

We also this year ordered snorkel masks (mask covers eyes and mouth) with our personal eye glass scripts (now we will be able to see all the COLORFUL fish :D) Try http://www.101snorkel.com for regular eye goggles, masks and script masks. They also have dry snorkels which when you go down underwater (to see a ship wreck or turtles) they have a float that blocks the water from coming back down.

The last few years we have booked tours with independent operators that receive excellent ratings on http://www.tripadvisor.com They are much less costly than the cruise ship tours.

This is our first cruise and our first time trying to snorkel. It seems simple enough and it seems so peaceful and beautiful. They make it sound like just anyone can snorkel since they have excursions that even young kids can go on. Even though we've never done this, we want to buy our own masks and snorkels because of all the germs and problems with using equipment that 100's of others have used. (I wouldn't trust believing they've been perfectly sanitized!) We obviously would not buy expensive stuff (maybe $40.00 for the mask and snorkel) because we'd probably only be able to snorkel once a year. Who's to say we'll even like it.

Is a cheaper set like that adequate for the kind of snorkeling they'd offer on an excursion?

Is it dangerous? Can you get caught up in strong currents and riptides? I think I read where sometimes you have to watch out for jet skis etc. So now I've become a little fearful of doing it. Any experienced answers that can help me decide if this is for us, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! :)

When we had our very first cruise, ( which was on the mexican rivera), my husband did some scuba diving in Cabo San Lucas. We did not go with the excursions offered by RCCI, (big mistake I guess lol) but we did an "outsider excursion" Well, my husband's experience was scary nonetheless.. The guy put out "lots" of bread for the fishies, and my husband almost had a heart attack, he thought sharks would be attracted to all the bread the guy was throwing out to the fishies. also when hubby wanted to get back in the boat, the guy had a hard time getting him back in! :( So lesson learned: "Always" go with the RCCI excursions...

You need something to wear to and from the boat. Some coral, and critters, can be sharp. Most of the time underwater I have been diving and not snorkeling. If you have full foot fins you might be alright just wearing them. I usually had Scubapro fins with a strap in the back and wore wet suit boots. Beach shoes will work fine too and be cheaper if you don't happen to have a full wet suit.

It is important to get the right fit for a mask, I wouldn't recommend ordering it off the Internet. As for defog, the best I have found it diluted baby shampoo is a small spray bottle. Spray liberally, then one dunk in the water and put your mask on your face immediately. Don't put it on your forehead where it can fog up. If you have sanitary concerns with renting full foot fin, they do have think neoprene socks that you can purchase. Do a google search for a local dive shop, you might be surprised, there might be one near you.

I am in the same situation.. first time cruiser.. and I want to try snorkeling but can not get my husband in the water... I am in my late 50's and my husband 60's... I got snorkel gear through ebay. I took it to the pool a couple of times and I am glad it worked for me. I am blind as a bat without my glasses so I decided to get contacts since I have worn them in the past, instead of getting a prescription mask, after the mask comes off I need correction right-a-way to find the boat. :D I am also on the NCL Pearl in November to the same locations. I found a excursion from the Shore Excursions group that has snorkeling off a glass bottom boat(for my hubby)in Cozumel. My biggest concern is getting back on the boat. I do not do well using the small ladders on smaller boats. No upper arm strength and I can climb a regular ladder if I can pull from over my head.

I will be really intersted in hearing how it went for you.:)

Hubby (DH) and I had never snorkeled before and booked 2 different excursions that both involved snorkeling advertised suitable for beginners. NOT!!!

The first time (Cozumel), my flotation would not hold air and no one offered to replace it or explain the correct way to adjust the snorkel, mask etc. Several of us were having problems and the guide said if we could catch up quickly we could come on, but they would not give instruction or wait for us. We did not go. DH had issues with water leaking in around his mask - no one told him he needed vaseline or something similar in areas of his mustache, beard. Also, if you've never had fins on your feet, it is very difficult to get the hang of working those heavy things. He went on out with the group, lagging behind quite a bit, but finally caught up and said staying up with the group was pretty difficult.

The second time (Cayman Island), I did not give it a try as the water, although only about 10 feet deep, was pretty wavy. This crew had vaseline ready for the guys with facial hair issues, helped folks get their gear on properly, and DH had a much better time.

My sincerest recommendation if you have never done it before is find some equipment to borrow (or buy cheaply) and find a swimming pool to practice in. It is a very different sensation and a lot to try to deal with if you've never done it before. If we do another snorkel excursion, I will make it a point to practice and be comfortable with it before the cruise. I know I will enjoy it next time !! :)

I've snorkeled quite a bit and really enjoy it! I have to say snorkeling with a ship's excursion was NOT always the easiest for me. They often take you out by a small boat to deeper water....and....BOOM you're far from shore in 20 feet+ water where it can be choppy and have some stronger currents. It's not easy to see in that deep of water and what you do see is too far down to see clearly.

I much prefer snorkeling from the shore or at least in the shallows. You will see the most colorful small fish in 3-10 feet of water.

At Great Stirrup Cay you can just wade out from the shore as the beach is a gently slope, mostly soft sand. You might not see much corals but you will still see some small colorful fish and can practice your snorkel technique.

At Grand Caymen the snorkeling is great. You can walk from the pier along the water and there is public accesses to the ocean. Walk for aways and look for areas where people are gathered or for where there shoes are! Usually there is a small ladder there to help you get in the water. The water is shallow, clear and lots of fish and soft corals.

I always go barefoot and have never seen anyone wear socks. i've never seen or heard of anyone getting sick on a snorkeling excursion. Usually if the water is that rough, small boats don't go out. And one more thing, you really do need a good fit on your mask. How will you know what size to order if you do it online? Good luck with everything and have fun!

Good point! They just made it sound like a "one size fits all" mask. I see your point, but you'd think they'd say "small, medium & large". They did with the fins. I just didn't think it all the way through. Thanks!

We don't have a dive shop in the middle of the good USA either! :D We always bring our own snorkeling gear. Last year my husband was given a life vest that took on water in Belize :eek: , so this year we ordered personal blow-up vests (they flatten out for packing)

We also this year ordered snorkel masks (mask covers eyes and mouth) with our personal eye glass scripts (now we will be able to see all the COLORFUL fish :D) Try www.101snorkel.com for regular eye goggles, masks and script masks. They also have dry snorkels which when you go down underwater (to see a ship wreck or turtles) they have a float that blocks the water from coming back down.

The last few years we have booked tours with independent operators that receive excellent ratings on www.tripadvisor.com They are much less costly than the cruise ship tours.

We're more or less the middle too. (Ohio) I'm happy you will have prescription mask now! I'm sure it will enlighten the whole experience for you. Enjoy. I have read to book private excursions, but the first time we do it will be on Norwegian's Great Stirrup Cay. It sounds as if you can just go snorkel when you want. I'm hoping that they have people on hand who at least help you learn how to do the breathing part. It doesn't seem as if it could be hard, yet others have advised to practice in a pool. I will definitely remember to hire private if we snorkel somewhere else. Thanks for the tip. Love saving money! especially when we're already way over what we thought we'd originally need for a cruise. :eek:

Very important to NOT stand on the coral. You will kill it. There is so little left and it grows very slowly.Thanks.

That is a shame that it's being killed off. I'm glad to know not to do it. I don't think we would have, but if we did happen to do it, I would not have known it would kill it. I would assume it would break off and stuff, so I wouldn't think one would want to stand on it. Obviously I'm naive if it does seem as if other snorkelers aren't treating it right. Thanks for the tip.

Archived