Keeping extra pounds at bay

Blucruise25

You could always speak to the Executive Chef and explain your goals. Tne Chef can tailor dishes to help you meet your needs. They are always willing to work with me and I'm sure they'll work with you too. Keep up the great work!

I agree with Orator. Speak to the ex chef early into your cruise,they are very willing to help in many ways. My issue is b2b long cruises in December and April, so I make certain to pay attention, I know how easy it is to drift. My trick is 40 minutes on the treadmill everyday and early in the AM, and I am set for the day. If I try to do my walk outside I don't keep up the pace. Enjoy your cruise and remember It is better to stay healthy. Congrats on taking good care of yourself !!) Enjoy every moment !

Luvstosail,

Boston Ma

cruise lines are making it easier with the cutbacks!! i used a new trick for me....just put a small taste of foods from the buffet and then planning to go back for the best ones. rarely did! funny how those small bites were enough. my husband loves the indian food and the many choices on the buffet so we often end up there...

i used a new trick for me....just put a small taste of foods from the buffet and then planning to go back for the best ones. rarely did! funny how those small bites were enough. my husband loves the indian food and the many choices on the buffet so we often end up there...

Nice tip - thanks! I rarely go to the buffet (only if we need a quick breakfast or are returning from shore late afternoon), but that is a great idea.

Cheers

Ando

I've done WW for 3 cruises now and have come home with about a 2 pound loss each time.

I found I could eat my normal breakfast as at home - low fat granola, yogurt, juice, etc. At lunch, go for the make your own salad bar. Lots of veggie choices. I sometimes go to the pasta station for shrimp for my salad. There is balsamic vinegar for dressing.

At dinner, I got the Caesar salad, no dressing. I had our waiter bring vinegar and oil. There's always a fish or chicken choice, and get them without the sauce. Instead of the potato or veggies with a sauce, I always asked for green beans, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower (from the everyday menu). A bowl of fresh berries each night for my dessert. If they had a fruit plate for an appetizer, sometimes I would ask for that for my dessert.

Hi all my tips are basically the same. I usually have big breakfast no carbs protein and salad for lunch no starch ar dinner order xtra veg and i order dessert wth 1 2 3 rule 1 bite to start 2 if if good 3 if very good then i give rest to dh who never gains a lb!! Also sometimes i might order the cheese and fruit plate. We cruise in 4 wks so i am trying to be xtra good now. I still hv a glass of wine or a cocktail though, can' give that up lol

I also use the 1,2,3 bite rule for all desserts....I found I didn't care too much for the desserts on the cruise--they didn't seem that great...so, why eat them?

On our next cruise I purposely picked a cabin a hike from most of of activities and such. Plus, I think it is at least 3-4 floors too from different venues.

Hope the husband doesn't kill me...lol

I just do what I do at home...eat sensibly with a few treats now and again. I find I exercise more when cruising by doing lots of walking in ports, on the ship and all those stairs!

I haven't gained weight yet on a cruise, but have to admit...the next cruise is 49 days (65 days away total)....I am concerned, so have read this thread with interest..

I just do what I do at home...eat sensibly with a few treats now and again. I find I exercise more when cruising by doing lots of walking in ports, on the ship and all those stairs!

I haven't gained weight yet on a cruise, but have to admit...the next cruise is 49 days (65 days away total)....I am concerned, so have read this thread with interest..

I truly believe that weight gain and the lack of exercise is an important issue. I do not want to sound like a preacher- but so many people are grossly overweight today and in poor health.

It is critical that we all begin to pay attention and develop good health habits. If not for ourselves, then for our children and grandchildren. They learn by example.

We can all live longer and enjoy many more cruises!! Eat to live don't live to eat! So much more to a cruise then eating!

On the longer cruises, you definitely need to pace yourself with the food, and be VERY disciplined! Our longest was a 30 night cruise, and I only gained 3 lbs! I had fruits for breakfast, salads (and a dessert!) for lunch, then dinners, I would not eat any breads, but I would always have dessert (it is definitely my downfall!).

Also, went to the gym most sea days, and did some toning exercises while in our cabin each morning. Very rarely take the elevator, and would do lots of walking on the ship during sea days. On our port days, we would do lots of walking.

On our last cruise I did not sin a pound and ate what I want. I'm not a big drinker so that helps. But I definitely love sweets. I used the gym, took the stirs instead of the elevators and booked tours that included some exercise. If you don't o crazy stuffing herself and sty fairly active you should be fine. Enjoy!

Congratulations on your weight loss -- I'm with you!!

I think you've gotten great advice and it seems to be what we all know: eat less and move more!

I have found that the tap water *might* have some salt so I stick to the bottled water. We bring our own and after that's gone I just buy it.

We avoid the buffet for most of the cruise. However, at lunch sometimes I will make my own salad from several places: fresh lettuce and spring greens as well as some romaine. Then I get to the grill area and get a plain grilled chicken breast to chop on top. They have some great vinagrette dressings. Fill it with raw broccoli and other veggies and it's a meal!

I love the fat free/sugar free ices and sherbets, I really do. I get those at night and they aren't a big deal calorie-wise. I have found that unless it's a specialty restaurant dessert, the ship's desserts aren't that fabulous anyway. I know what chocolate tastes like, I've had it, I don't need it again.

Ask the room steward to not bring the chocolates for the pillow. Or do what we do - take them home and give them to the grandkids!!!

I always ask our butler (or room steward) to bring us fresh berries (strawberries and raspberries) in the afternoons instead of the canapes and tea service. We also ask the wait staff to bring us broccoli, green beans, and other veggies every night, and not the featured carbs.

I love the idea of asking the waiters to not bring the bread basket. I don't think I could ask them to do it in Tuscan Grill though. That might be a deal-breaker:D

We normally choose active port activities like hiking, or if we're going to the beach or into town, we just walk and walk.

Have a wonderful time and have fun and don't worry too much about it. It is encouraging to know that we're not the only ones not stuffing our faces at the buffet and lining up for food every time it's offered. ;)

I typically gain about 5 lbs per cruise.... so I usually try to drop 5 right before so I have a little wiggle room.

Also, the walking really helps, when we took the 12 night Azamara...the food was amazing so we did not deprive ourselves, but on the Mediterranean itinerary we did so much walking and stair climbing.. I didn't gain a pound and my husband lost a few. I will definitely add more stairs and walking this time since we will have a bunch of at sea days.

I also don't eat a lot at the buffet....I just don't like them much...so that helps with the temptation. I also take my own Truvia and drink tea so I don't add the sugar of softdrinks, which I really don't like much anymore anyway!!

I'm glad you mentioned Truvia. I usually bring my Stevia/Truvia but forgot and honestly presumed the ship would have it. I was shocked they didn't. I don't use sugar or artificial sweeteners so I used honey in my tea (and took my WW points for it) and drank my coffee black (as I aways do.) BUT I was disappointed.

Don't drink your calories. Only water, unsweet tea or diet soda (or club soda, my fav!) for zero calories. The information about alcohol being calorie free is wrong! Alcohol in the form of gin, rum, whiskey or vodka is 97 calories per oz, and that adds up quick! And that's straight, without any fruity stuff added. And it's 100% carb, since alcohol is basically fermented sugar.

Don't drink your calories. Only water, unsweet tea or diet soda (or club soda, my fav!) for zero calories. The information about alcohol being calorie free is wrong! Alcohol in the form of gin, rum, whiskey or vodka is 97 calories per oz, and that adds up quick! And that's straight, without any fruity stuff added. And it's 100% carb, since alcohol is basically fermented sugar.

Sadly, you are correct; and, that is one of the reasons I only ingest tequila.

"And it's 100% carb, since alcohol is basically fermented sugar."

Actually, your clear spirits (unsweetened, unflavored) are zero carb. The sugar is consumed during the fermentation process. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. That's less than fat (9 per gram) but more than carbs and protein (4 per gram). On a nutrition label the fat, protein and carb grams are all listed... but they are not required to list the grams of alcohol (if it's in there). They DO, however, have to include the calories from alcohol in the total calories per serving. That's why nutrition labels for beer, etc are confusing.

Here's a good article on making better choices when dieting...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=893

Excellent plan! I think I read that tequila has negative calories!

Well, drink enough of it and you won't keep it down... that's how you get negative calories in Teguila. ;)

Kidding aside, tequila has as many calories as any other alcohol. 7 calories per gram of alcohol.

"And it's 100% carb, since alcohol is basically fermented sugar."

Actually, your clear spirits (unsweetened, unflavored) are zero carb. The sugar is consumed during the fermentation process. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. That's less than fat (9 per gram) but more than carbs and protein (4 per gram). On a nutrition label the fat, protein and carb grams are all listed... but they are not required to list the grams of alcohol (if it's in there). They DO, however, have to include the calories from alcohol in the total calories per serving. That's why nutrition labels for beer, etc are confusing.

Here's a good article on making better choices when dieting...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=893

However, if you watch your carbs- Vodka is a good drink- also with a splash ( if possible) sugar free juice- or a light splash of regular cranberry juiee will work!!

I allow myself small amounts of carbs a day and would rather never eat any bread, desserts, potatoes, pasta etc and enjoy my evening cocktail on the ship!!:)

Archived