Wearing White in the Fall

MikeMary4449

I learn something new on here every day. I've never heard of that rule before. :o

It is weird, old-fashioned American etiquette. I am 45, and my mother enforced these rules when I was growing up. No white after labor day, but "winter white" is OK. No what shoes after labor day or before Easter. We always got to have a new pretty spring dress for Easter, but you weren't allowed to wear it until church on Easter Sunday. I'm from the Southeast, so maybe the old rules stuck longer. I actually wondered about it before going on my 1st caribbean cruise. I thought the whole world was on that system!

Similar senseless rule in my house growing up: No air conditioning until June 1. It mattered not if the temperature outside was 90 degrees. No AC. No similar rule for heat. When it was cold, you turned it on. AC was viewed as an expensive luxury, so the start date was enforced. :)

It is weird, old-fashioned American etiquette. I am 45, and my mother enforced these rules when I was growing up. No white after labor day, but "winter white" is OK. No what shoes after labor day or before Easter. We always got to have a new pretty spring dress for Easter, but you weren't allowed to wear it until church on Easter Sunday. I'm from the Southeast, so maybe the old rules stuck longer. I actually wondered about it before going on my 1st caribbean cruise. I thought the whole world was on that system!

Similar senseless rule in my house growing up: No air conditioning until June 1. It mattered not if the temperature outside was 90 degrees. No AC. No similar rule for heat. When it was cold, you turned it on. AC was viewed as an expensive luxury, so the start date was enforced. :)

Did we have the same mother?

. . .and then there's the Winter White color. In the southern US, where I grew up, it was a sacred rule that one did not wear white before Easter, and never, never after Labor Day, even if it was over 90 degrees for a month after.

However, winter white was fabulous and acceptable around the holidays, but it had to be that winter white. Whatever that was?

Haha! I must admit those rules die hard, and even though I do it, I always hesitate and almost sneak when I break the RULES. ;) :eek:

There's some weird "rule" in the US that says "No white after labor day". No idea why. Labor day is the 1st monday of september, so americans get all weird when they want to wear white beyond it.

Personally, I've never followed the rule, nor will I ever. It's a color. Get over it folks lol.

I am completely shocked and totally apalled that ANYONE could POSSIBLY call into question, or even WORSE, just cast aside this (or ANY) critically IMPORTANT rule of fashion. After all, those absolutely ESSENTIAL rules were established and are changed in a timely manner for the well being of us ALL. ;)

Why, if everyone just started to ignore the rules of seasonable chic fashion, the well being of our ENTIRE global civilization could be put at risk! :rolleyes:

People deciding FOR THEMSELVES what was comfortable and nice looking without the UNBIASED and expert advice of fashion designers and appearel manufacturers?!? (with this CRITICAL information freely distributed by modern day, pop culture media??? SURELY NOT!!! :p

Next thing you know, SOME people would PROBABLY want to EAT DINNER in casual clothing!!! :eek:

Surely, adherance to the IMMUTABLE Laws of Proper Fashion is one of the few things separating us (the sophistcated, refined, cultured, and well educated) from the rest of the uncouth underclasses of society. :D

Hey...that's what I believe....don't you?! :)

If you are talking about adding pigment to a white substrate, yes. If you are talking about optics, white is the reflection of all colors.

Anyone who thinks Americans still worry about fashion rules should visit a Wal-Mart.

Yes...I love seeing White spandex at Wal-Mart. Richard:eek:

I still don't where white pants/shorts/skirts later in the season, never in winter, hardly ever in spring...

Not because of fashion...but they never stay clean! mud, snow, salt, rain...yuck!

Never on vacation either...for the same reason...I try to get two wears out of my 'bottoms'...white gets dirty fast!

are there women over 50 breaking the rule??? not ME...my mother and grandmother would be turning over in their graves!! lived in the hudson river valley....old school new yorkers. no white before memorial day except little girls could wear white easter shoes and certainly no white after labor day...pants,skirts,shoes,purses,everything....i just can't bring myself to do it but will bring white on winter vacations to warm places....sometimes i am a little wistful about the white gloves we always wore in public...lol WINTER white had to be a fabric of substanc....,wool,cashmere and it was an off white.... like ivory.

I think that custom is followed today about as much as wearing panty hose is - certainly by those younger then me anyway.even though panty hose are supposedly making so something of a comeback thanks to the Duchess of Cambridge. I still only wear white "in season" unless I'm in warmer climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are there women over 50 breaking the rule??? not ME...my mother and grandmother would be turning over in their graves!! lived in the hudson river valley....old school new yorkers. no white before memorial day except little girls could wear white easter shoes and certainly no white after labor day...pants,skirts,shoes,purses,everything....i just can't bring myself to do it but will bring white on winter vacations to warm places....sometimes i am a little wistful about the white gloves we always wore in public...lol WINTER white had to be a fabric of substanc....,wool,cashmere and it was an off white.... like ivory.

I can see the makings of a novel here! I can already feel the atmosphere :eek:

Tell us more :D

And I just threw my white linen pants in my suitcase for our December Caribbean cruise. I'm not really packing :eek: just putting away the summer clothes that aren't going on the cruise, so it was a good place to put them to make room for my fall clothes.

I think my grandmother (born in 1900) would be appalled, but we will be in the Caribbean and I think I will be just fine.

Beth

I have done the same thing.....packing my whites when I put summer clothes away. Would only wear white after Labor Day in the Caribbean.

Archived