Suggested seating time with ds13 & ds12??? Oasis

Amycakes17

We have only been on one other cruise and had the 6pm seating time. On port days we sometimes had to cut our day short to come back for dinner. On sailing days we did not want to leave the pool area. We were on the Freedom.

For our next cruise I booked our seating time for 8:30pm on the Oasis. Planned to give the kids a snack around 5pm. We really want to see all of the shows.

Now I am second guessing myself... would we be able to see some of the shows prior to dinner or now are they going to be up too late??

I would really appreciate any feedback you could give me..... especially if you have been on Oasis and know the normal showtimes. The ship itself is overwhelming so I at least want to feel comfortable in my mealtime decision!!!

Thanks so much :)

If you do late seating you will see shows before dinner, in most cases. Main seating sees shows after dinner, in most cases. Oasis/Allure are a bit different, in that they have more show choices and times than a standard ship.

If the kids want to do the club activities in the evening, them early/main seating is best for that option.

If you do MTD, you can choose which showtime you get....

MTD- perfect option for families! You can book whatever times you like ahead of time on line OR book the morning of by phone or on your tv OR show up when you are hungry and be seated on a first come first served basis. And do any combination of these options! With teens this is great, sometimes they have AO programs they want to do and you won't know about them till that day. So you can easily change times to include them (or not) or if they want to grab a bite in the WJ early, and then attend an activity, you can dine later. Loved MTD with my teens ( and for that matter without them;))

Oasis is unlike other ships, there is no " early and late" show, so you'll book your shows when you want and dine around themat your convenience.

We are looking forward to our first RCL cruise in November, but have been on about 7 cruises with our kids, who are now 13 and 14. We have always chosen the early seating when we've had the option. We have found that having a set time on sea days is great as the kids have gotten older. They always want to do the kid/teen activities, and with a set time we can just tell them to be back at the cabin at a certain time to dress for dinner. We like the earlier seating because they usually want to get back to the activities (they usually won't even stay for dessert). On port days, we just go to the buffet is we decide to stay ashore longer.

We went on the Oasis last month. Since you specifically asked about showtimes, I'll try to give you a general idea. Ice show is shown on several days - 5:00 pm, 7:30 pm, 8:30 pm, 10:30 pm - depending on the day. "Hairspray" is done 1st 3 days - 8:45 pm, 10:30 pm, 2:30 pm, depending on the day. "Oasis of Dreams" was 1st 3 days - 7:30 pm, 9:00 pm, 9:30 pm, 10:45 pm - depending on the day. Comedy show is every evening, beginning at 9:00 pm. On our cruise they did one "family" comedy show late in the week. Headliner show was 3 performances - 8:30 pm, 10:30 pm one day and 7:30 pm the other day. "Come Fly with Me" was the last 2 days - 8:30 pm & 10:30 pm one day, 3:00 pm the other day. Here's a link to my Compasses if that will help:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

For MTD - So as my cruise gets closer to the sailing date I can book both my show times and my dinner times online? I would rather do that then risk them not being able to accommodate me if I called on the day of....

Are the waiters still as friendly? Do they put you in the same section every night? We would just want a table for 4. This could be a solution...

P.S. (thanks for the showtimes :) )

For MTD - So as my cruise gets closer to the sailing date I can book both my show times and my dinner times online? I would rather do that then risk them not being able to accommodate me if I called on the day of....

Are the waiters still as friendly? Do they put you in the same section every night? We would just want a table for 4. This could be a solution...

P.S. (thanks for the showtimes :) )

Yes, you can book show times and dining times online (if you have My Time Dining). The waiters we had were great. When we made a reservation, we asked to be in their section. When we went without a reservation, we asked to be in their section. One night we had to sit in a different section. I talked to our regular waiter after and he told what time to come the next night to be sure and be in his section. We had Edderic and Veemal. We had a table for 2 each night. Actually, one night they didn't have a table in his section, but because he told us to come at that time they sat us in a section next to his and he serviced our table also.

If you don't require them to dine with you most of time you won't see them. My DD13 only ate with us 2 out of 7 nights. First night and first formal because I required because I wanted family pictures. The 12-14yrs dances and games are usually at 9pm. The 15-17 start at 10:30. The wipeout cafe is right outside of the Livingroom so they have food all day. The Livingroom, Fuel, Arcade, Zipline, sports court are right there together, so I never saw my DD until she came and changed her clothes for yet another teen activity. They even ice skate teens only.

She did drop by when we were eating at Johnny Rockets grab a fry off the table and said bye. MyDD8 enjoys being waited on so I had to pick her up for dinner and then dropped her back off at Adventure Ocean. Some days she did hang out with us to do rock climbing, marry go round, shows but then back to AO.

We have only been on one other cruise and had the 6pm seating time. On port days we sometimes had to cut our day short to come back for dinner. On sailing days we did not want to leave the pool area. We were on the Freedom.

For our next cruise I booked our seating time for 8:30pm on the Oasis. Planned to give the kids a snack around 5pm. We really want to see all of the shows.

Now I am second guessing myself... would we be able to see some of the shows prior to dinner or now are they going to be up too late??

I would really appreciate any feedback you could give me..... especially if you have been on Oasis and know the normal showtimes. The ship itself is overwhelming so I at least want to feel comfortable in my mealtime decision!!!

Thanks so much :)

MTD! Then if you want to make a specific show, make a reservation for dinner. We typically do not do reservations with MTD, but on Allure and Oasis we did the nights we needed to be at the shows at a certain time

As others have said, with teens I would do early or MTD if you want them to eat with you. This is one of our rules on cruises, that the family eats together all but one night. To make sure they are able to get to all the activities they want we stick with early or MTD. Once they are older, almost there, and not on a teen schedule we may switch, but for now that works best for our family.

Archived