JFK to Times Square

cruisegurl

My daughter and I are flying into JFK 9/29/12 and back out on 10/2/12. Since it's such a short trip, we will have very little luggage. I have researched the boards and also done a google search for transportation options. A good option seems to be to take AirTrain to Jamaica and from there take the E subway to 42 St/Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square and I guess do the reverse when leaving :) Would love to hear some opinions on this. Thanks for your help.

My daughter and I are flying into JFK 9/29/12 and back out on 10/2/12. Since it's such a short trip, we will have very little luggage. I have researched the boards and also done a google search for transportation options. A good option seems to be to take AirTrain to Jamaica and from there take the E subway to 42 St/Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square and I guess do the reverse when leaving :) Would love to hear some opinions on this. Thanks for your help.

Yes, it's certainly feasible. However, for the second portion of the trip: instead of taking the E train (subway) from Jamaica to 42nd Street, personally I would take an LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) train from Jamaica to New York Penn Station. It's a faster (about 20 minutes) and much more comfortable ride, and only marginally more expensive ($4 more per person) than the subway. Penn Station is only 8 blocks south of 42nd Street/Port Authority Terminal, so you're not really going out of your way by taking the train rather than the subway.

Yes, it's certainly feasible. However, for the second portion of the trip: instead of taking the E train (subway) from Jamaica to 42nd Street, personally I would take an LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) train from Jamaica to New York Penn Station. It's a faster (about 20 minutes) and much more comfortable ride, and only marginally more expensive ($4 more per person) than the subway. Penn Station is only 8 blocks south of 42nd Street/Port Authority Terminal, so you're not really going out of your way by taking the train rather than the subway.

The fare when using the LIRR/Airtrain combo would be much more, $13.75 (versus $7.25 for subway/Airtrain at all times, or $11.25 LIRR/Airtrain off peak) if they happen to travel during rush hours, and personally, "only 8 blocks" of walking can seem like a lot more if you have even a little luggage. The walk from Penn Station to Times Square will also eat into the train ride versus subway ride time difference.

So while using the LIRR is more comfortable, it can be a lot more expensive depending on the time of day (that wouldn't matter on 9/29 which is a Saturday, but does matter on 10/2, a Tuesday), and really isn't that much faster when you add in the walking time.

Hi - we have just returned from New York and used the following route from JFK to Times Square. We took the Airtrain to Howards beach and then the A train to 42nd/Port Authority. With light luggage it is no problem to use the subway - there are few escalators at NY stations. The Airtrain is lovely but the subway is a bit dingy especially at night - but it is the best way to get around NYC. Fare from JFK to 42nd st is 7.25 and you buy your ticket when you get off the Airtrain.

I think the subway is a great idea going into the city, because you get on at the first stop and therefore most likely will score a seat and you will save money. Coming back from the city I would take the LIRR for the same reason, you will get a seat. The walk from Penn to Times Square is short blocks, I wouldn't even hold that into consideration unless it was pouring rain.

Archived