Zuiderdam's bad reviews

metairiegal

I also just came off the Z sept 22 from Alaska.

We had a great cruise, and the ship was fine. Food was wonderful, staff was excellent, even the good weather followed the Z around the whole trip!

So now, the OP has lots of good reviews as well as bad. Which ones are the truth? Which do you want to believe? :)

"Truth?" All of them - why would any of the reviews not be honest, including your own? Interesting to note, on HAL's facebook page today is a posting from someone on your cruise - just got off the ship - who had several problems during the week.

And--- after a few drinks in the Ocean Bar we could always see the funny side of it all, couldn't we? :D ----although we may have been a tad unbalanced by the end of the evening. I blamed it on the ship moving too much. :p

Oh lordy, great memories. It was a great place to hang out and watch the world go by... and watch the guys watching the women:D

We got of Zuidy today after a week in Alaska and enjoyed everything about our cruise. In fact three days after we got off the Zuiderdam last December after cruising the Panama, we booked this Alaskan cruise specifically on this ship.

The food was excellent! Our balcony suite was the perfect choice for an Alaskan cruise. The staff was incredible as always. They have done some upgrades even since December. We were the first cruise to use the new deck chairs and loungers, and they were loading on new gym equipment as we were disembarking today. They are drydocking in November so there should be a few more improvements afterward.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was all the dancing shows (four in seven nights) so we skipped it and listened to the solo guitarist in the Crows Nest or the HAL Cats. The female singer they had this time around was AWESOME! They have a couple fun new game shows that were hysterical.

To be honest with you, we have cruised with a few lines, including Carnival and Princess, and we will rebook with HAL and even on Zuidy again. In fact, we purchased a future cruise deposit while on board this week to use in February.

I would not be concerned if I were you about the condition of the ship. You can be on any ship in the world and experience problems with the AC or plumbing in a cabin. It's the staff, itinerary and food that make a cruise for us.

Sounds good. Glad you had a good time. :)

I also just came off the Z sept 22 from Alaska.

We had a great cruise, and the ship was fine. Food was wonderful, staff was excellent, even the good weather followed the Z around the whole trip!

So now, the OP has lots of good reviews as well as bad. Which ones are the truth? Which do you want to believe? :)

OP here. I have read some good reviews but we are still trying to decide what to do! I know there is truth to both the positive AND negative reviews, so that is why I'm so confused!

We found a Celebrity cruise that we are thinking about, and when I read those reviews, they are ALL positive. Wish that was the case with the Zuiderdam. Timing wise, the Zuiderdam works better for us. Decisions, decisions!

We sailed Zuiderdam end of July and loved it. In usual HAL fashion there were always people cleaning something, painting something - a ship requires constant maintainence.

Didn't notice any smells - other than great food and an occasional BBQ - plumbing worked great, food was wonderful, staff was excellent and happy/friendly as usual.

If you go Eurodam, the ship will be newer, but also larger. I like the size of the Vista class ships and always love how intimate they feel. Wouldn't hesitate to sail Zuiderdam again tomorrow.....oh, how I wish I could!!

My DH and I were on Zuiderdam in July for the Inside Passage itinerary. We had a great time and my review (linked in my signature) was a positive one. We didn't experience any of the recurring issues though we did get the impression that they were still cropping up here and there. She is heading into dry dock soon, which will hopefully rectify those issues. Only time will tell but we'd sail her again.

I just read your review of the Zuiderdam. Great review and pics. It makes me feel better about the Z! You guys remind me of DH and myself when we started sailing with HAL 25 years ago. I am off to check out the other Z review that you mentioned in your review.

Just back from September 22 sailing, and was very satisfied with almost everythng. The one gripe, and I am not alone with this, is the "open seating" dining. Very very poor operations. HAL should visit Princess and see how it can be done so very well! As for everything else, I would say highly recommended.

Just back from September 22 sailing, and was very satisfied with almost everythng. The one gripe, and I am not alone with this, is the "open seating" dining. Very very poor operations. HAL should visit Princess and see how it can be done so very well! As for everything else, I would say highly recommended.

I wonder why they're so inconsistent with the open seating? Aside from a minor issue with reservations on the first night, we didn't have any problems but I've seen several people mention it in reviews during the Alaska season.

Just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday. This ship could use a new coat of paint and some cosmetic maintenance here and there, but overall it is in great condition. Rust was noticeable in a few areas but it probably had more to do with the moist Alaskan air, I presume. The public areas were always spotless and neat and my cabin clean and tidy. Food was excellent and servers very friendly. I would not hesitate to go back on this ship again.

"Truth?" All of them - why would any of the reviews not be honest, including your own? Interesting to note, on HAL's facebook page today is a posting from someone on your cruise - just got off the ship - who had several problems during the week.

Exactly why I said what I said. I only meant to point out that experiences are personal, so you get lots of opinions from all ends of the spectrum. We had no issues, so that's all I can report.

Sailed this ship twice-once to Alaska, once the Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise. Both were excellent. In reading the posts, everyone is right. There will always be good and bad points. For example if I like the singer and my dh does not...who is right? SO, I like to read the different reviews, both good and bad. Then I have an excuse to take a cruise for our own reviews :)

We sailed on RCL and also enjoyed it, but some do and some do not. The bottom line, is read, choose your cruise, and then make up your mind to enjoy as much as possible. Something may go wrong, but hopefully still much better than not taking a cruise at all!

Good luck and Bon Voyage to the op. Have a great time no matter which cruise you select.

Sailed this ship twice-once to Alaska, once the Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise. Both were excellent. In reading the posts, everyone is right. There will always be good and bad points. For example if I like the singer and my dh does not...who is right? SO, I like to read the different reviews, both good and bad. Then I have an excuse to take a cruise for our own reviews :)

We sailed on RCL and also enjoyed it, but some do and some do not. The bottom line, is read, choose your cruise, and then make up your mind to enjoy as much as possible. Something may go wrong, but hopefully still much better than not taking a cruise at all!

Good luck and Bon Voyage to the op. Have a great time no matter which cruise you select.

Good advice! Thanks. :)

We are on the Zuiderdam right now and are are enjoying ourselves immensely. The food is excellent, the staff extremely friendly and outside of a few little glitches that we personally experienced in our suite nothing is preventing us from enjoying this cruise. I have not seen or heard anything negative about the ship.

We are on the Zuiderdam right now and are are enjoying ourselves immensely. The food is excellent, the staff extremely friendly and outside of a few little glitches that we personally experienced in our suite nothing is preventing us from enjoying this cruise. I have not seen or heard anything negative about the ship.

Thank you for your thoughts..

Archived