Am I the only one?

phoenix_dream

So, I choose to stay connected all the time and am kind of freaking out about turning off my phone and iPad. We're cruising to the Caribbean, 7 days. I read above that i can download my emails in puerto Rico and st. Thomas?

Puerto Rico and St Thomas are considered the US so no roaming charges apply. At least that's the way it's been every year for me. I have AT&T if that matters.

Puerto Rico and St Thomas are considered the US so no roaming charges apply. At least that's the way it's been every year for me. I have AT&T if that matters.

It does matter. Word of warning : check the website of your carrier. Do NOT accept a verbal communication from customer service on the roaming and coverage areas. Learned the hard way on this one.

Not true of St. Thomas, at least for Verizon. I made the mistake of thinking it was, only to come home to a $75 phone bill for a call we made to the airlines who had messed up our bookings. Thought I would be ok as St. Thomas was a US port. Nope. On the contrary, we have used our cells many times in Puerto Rico with no issues. Just be careful if you are on or near the ship - if they happen to have their cell equipment turned on, you might get hit with a charge. Not sure how that works, but just be aware to make sure your phone is not indicating roaming.

Don't really care to "show off" or make anyone "eat their heart out" over my vacation....happy to show them whatever pics THEY may WANT to see upon returning.......

It's a great way to tell everyone you're not at home, "so please, make sure you steal everything from my house, and don't forget the silverware! When I get home, it better be empty!"

Makes no sense to me. FB is dangerous.

Not true of St. Thomas, at least for Verizon. I made the mistake of thinking it was, only to come home to a $75 phone bill for a call we made to the airlines who had messed up our bookings. Thought I would be ok as St. Thomas was a US port. Nope. On the contrary, we have used our cells many times in Puerto Rico with no issues. Just be careful if you are on or near the ship - if they happen to have their cell equipment turned on, you might get hit with a charge. Not sure how that works, but just be aware to make sure your phone is not indicating roaming.

Yikes! That would totally stink! I remember on our 2nd Carnival Cruise the Captain even came on the intercom and announced that cell service would be free in St Thomas when we pulled into there. Otherwise I would never have even thought to call people back home. That was quite a few years ago, though too. Out of the 4 Eastern Caribbean Cruises we have done, I have never gotten any roaming fees through AT&T and I do not have any International Plans. I have only called/texted/went to the web briefly in St Thomas and Puerto Rico using AT&T so that's all I can attest to. All of which were while I was sitting on my balcony on the ship.

I found a couple maps that may be helpful in determining whether you may be charged for International Roaming or not. It may also be useful to turn off roaming as well in your phone's settings:

Verizon - http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

AT&T - http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Bottom line, know your carrier and their polices. If in doubt, it may be best just to leave your phone off.

It's a great way to tell everyone you're not at home, "so please, make sure you steal everything from my house, and don't forget the silverware! When I get home, it better be empty!"

That all depends on your settings. My FB page is only visible to "friends" and not "friends of friends" or the general public. Matter of fact, you can't even search to find me if you're not already in my "friends" group.

I agree with you...very invasive and while there have been more supposed safeguards added lately I still would not post that kind of information anywhere on line, have heard too many horror stories....

Shoot we won a lawsuit on an auto accident not long ago because our investigator was able to access the FB account of the plaintiff and found all kinds of contradictory statements on it about what she could and couldn't do because of the accident. So no matter how "safe" anyone thinks it is .... well it just isn't.....:eek:

I agree with you...very invasive and while there have been more supposed safeguards added lately I still would not post that kind of information anywhere on line, have heard too many horror stories....

Shoot we won a lawsuit on an auto accident not long ago because our investigator was able to access the FB account of the plaintiff and found all kinds of contradictory statements on it about what she could and couldn't do because of the accident. So no matter how "safe" anyone thinks it is .... well it just isn't.....:eek:

I'm with you. I do use FB and I do take proper precautions to limit access just to friends and so on, but never post vacation info until I get back. FB has had more than one incident of personal information being leaked, and there is always a hacker out there trying to get what you don't want them to get, and see what you don't want them to see. Precaution online is always advisable and discretion is the way to go.

I probably should have ended my comment with the fact that I don't post my whereabouts on FB either, even though I have the security pretty tight. It's tight for just that sort of reason. I keep my FB "life" very benign - not a lot of personal ANYTHING gets posted there.

I probably should have ended my comment with the fact that I don't post my whereabouts on FB either, even though I have the security pretty tight. It's tight for just that sort of reason. I keep my FB "life" very benign - not a lot of personal ANYTHING gets posted there.

I am the same....but then I'm just not a big FB fan period....

on another note....

I LOVE the picture of your cat!!!:D

I am the same....but then I'm just not a big FB fan period....

on another note....

I LOVE the picture of your cat!!!:D

Thank you! Unfortunately, my beautiful Blue Cat passed away about 3 years ago after being my wonderful pet for almost 18 years. He's the only cat I've ever known that "whispered" and that's actually what he was doing in this picture. I'd say something to him, and he would open his mouth and make the tiniest little breathy responses, but doesn't it look like he was being mean? He was also the master of the "dirty look" but he was a terrific kitty. I loved him so.

Thank you! Unfortunately, my beautiful Blue Cat passed away about 3 years ago after being my wonderful pet for almost 18 years. He's the only cat I've ever known that "whispered" and that's actually what he was doing in this picture. I'd say something to him, and he would open his mouth and make the tiniest little breathy responses, but doesn't it look like he was being mean? He was also the master of the "dirty look" but he was a terrific kitty. I loved him so.

Awww. How cute! I have a Devon Rex that is colored like a Siamese and she is VERY talkative. Every once on a while if I mew at her without making a sound she will do the same back. But usually it's at her full voice. I love kitties!!

Am I the only one that misses the good old days when being on a cruise meant that no one could contact you except in an emergency, and you didn't need to keep on top of who was posting what on your Facebook page, or what specials your favorite store was running that week that they had to send you an email about? You didn't feel the obligation to check in regularly to try to oversee things from afar.

I understand sometimes there are work demands, or sick relatives at home or other similar circumstances. Not talking about those situations. And maybe it is just my generation (Baby Boomer) but I consider not being in touch one of the joys of cruising. I don't need to think about Aunt Jane's latest doctor's visit, or Cousin Joe's obnoxious political ad on Facebook, whether it is sunny or rainy back in Chicago, or who is ahead in the polls. And if my kids are old enough to leave home alone, or with relatives, it is a benefit to them to learn to live without me calling and checking in - it builds character. I am on vacation - I want to FORGET about those things for just one week (ok, I don't forget about my kids - adult or otherwise - I just don't think they need me monitoring their every move - if they do I am already doing something wrong unless they have special challenges:)). I leave an emergency number and then tune out for the duration. I am not judging those who feel or do otherwise, but just wondering......Am I the only one?:D:D:D

You aren't the only one. I'm so determined to get away from everything that on five cruises (# six in seven weeks, but who's counting? Me) I've yet to use the Internet on board. We give relatives at home phone numbers for Celebrity before we leave in case there's some emergency. The first thing I do when I get the chance after disembarking is to check my e-mail, but while I'm on board I'm as far away from home as I can get. For what it's worth, I'm a baby boomer too. I understand and respect that others have a different perspective.

ah..I understand...sorry you lost your kitty. My cat Greg doesn't "meow" he "trills" and is a great cat...hope he lives 18 years too!!

Archived