Can you gate check a suitcase that is too big to carry on?

canuckgal

We are heading to Miami next week for our 4 day Sky cruise. We used points for our flights and they are kind of lousy- 2 different layovers, and I am worried about our luggage not arriving with us with all those stops. Can we gate check larger suitcases like one would a stroller so that they come with us the whole journey? Do airlines allow this?

I also don't think that would be allowed due to limited space for those that are gate checked.

Be sure to cross pack your suitcases so that if one is delayed reaching you that everyone has something to wear. Carry on (gate check) a smaller one with necessities like medications, tooth brushes, etc.

I also don't think that would be allowed due to limited space for those that are gate checked.

Be sure to cross pack your suitcases so that if one is delayed reaching you that everyone has something to wear. Carry on (gate check) a smaller one with necessities like medications, tooth brushes, etc.

Just be careful doing this. My wife and I tried to make sure all the iffy stuff was in the big suit case that got left at baggage check-in. Going through the TSA checkpoint, a can of shaving cream got flagged and taken by the TSA people. It was a last minute addition that got tossed in the wrong suitcase. :(

You can gate check a bag, however, it's not going to be stored with passengers. It will get put in the cargo area of the plane just like everyone else's luggage which really defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do. Didn't you see Meet the Parents? :p

Anyway, just make sure you have travel insurance and pack all essentials in a carry on. Toiletries and underwear, etc in case they get lost.

We are heading to Miami next week for our 4 day Sky cruise. We used points for our flights and they are kind of lousy- 2 different layovers, and I am worried about our luggage not arriving with us with all those stops. Can we gate check larger suitcases like one would a stroller so that they come with us the whole journey? Do airlines allow this?

You won't have a choice. The airline will make you check any baggage that is oversized (won't fit under the seat in front of you or in the over head bins). And as someone said previously, it will get put in the storage compartment with the rest of the luggage.

I hope you are flying in a day early in case your luggage doesn't make it.

As everyone else has said, you cannot gate check a large piece of luggage, you must check it at check in. And if it weighs more than 50 lbs, you will have to pay a fee for the excessive weight.

Here is what we advise - if there are two of you traveling, put half of your clothes in each others bags - that way if one bag is lost, no one will have no clothes at all. And put a change of clothing in your carry on.

Make sure you have plenty of i.d. on the bags and in one of the zippered pouches that you do not lock, put a large piece of paper saying where you are going. If you will be staying at a hotel the night before, put your name and the hotel name and address. If you are going directly to the ship, put your name and the ship name. If the bag gets lost, it will be easier to find YOU if you have that info in a place it an easily be located.

The best way to avoid having luggage lost is by getting to your first airport at least 2 hours early. Then just hope that the other airlines you are stopping through are very efficient.

You can gate check a bag, however, it's not going to be stored with passengers. It will get put in the cargo area of the plane just like everyone else's luggage which really defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do. Didn't you see Meet the Parents? :p

Anyway, just make sure you have travel insurance and pack all essentials in a carry on. Toiletries and underwear, etc in case they get lost.

You can't gate check a bag larger than is permitted for carry on...it will never make it through the TSA checkpoint since it will be too big to fit in the xray scanner.

Hi- I'm not meaning a huge suitcase, just slightly bigger than a carry on. I don't care that it will not be in the cabin with me the whole time, just that it gets on each plane that I do, and doesn't get lost in the guts of the airport on one of my layovers. I will not count on it, but I will show the suitcase and ask and we will cross pack if they say no and then the worst does happen. We are landing in Miami Saturday night and the cruise departs Monday morning, so we would have time for a suitcase to catch up with us, but just don't want the stress.

Hi- I'm not meaning a huge suitcase, just slightly bigger than a carry on. I don't care that it will not be in the cabin with me the whole time, just that it gets on each plane that I do, and doesn't get lost in the guts of the airport on one of my layovers. I will not count on it, but I will show the suitcase and ask and we will cross pack if they say no and then the worst does happen. We are landing in Miami Saturday night and the cruise departs Monday morning, so we would have time for a suitcase to catch up with us, but just don't want the stress.

Once it leaves your hands and goes in the baggage hold, whether by gate check or checking it at the counter you've lost control over it...loss or damage can ensue from that point on.

Again, there is the distinct possibility that a bag even slightly larger than permitted will never make it past the TSA screening point regardless.

As stated, take a "rollerbag" case that will get through security and is designed to fit in the overhead compartments. Pack it accordingly with essentials (but not disallowed items). You cannot selectively decide to have them put your bag in the hold and give it back to you as you board the plane. One of three things can happen with that suitcase.

1) you take it on the plane and put it in the overhead bin (90% of the time)

2) the airline accepts your bags at the jetway, and gives them back on the jetway when you deplane. This generally only happens if you're on a regional plane with smaller than normal overhead bin space. You cannot ask for this service at your discretion, as you suggested in your original note.

3) it's a full flight on any plane, and the gate agent asks people to check their bags for free to their final destination. These are tagged and collected at the gate. These bags will be in baggage claim, not on the jetway. This doesn't really solve your concern.

I suggest you go in expecting #1 and be ok with #2 if you end up on a smaller plane. You really can't plan for #3, and you generally can decide whether you want to take advantage of their "free checked bag" offer (that's what they'll call it) or take your bag with you into the plane

While frequency of baggage issues vary by airline (Virgin is the best with less than 1 in 1000 passengers having bag problems. United around 3.5), the problem is really rare and you shouldn't worry about it much. Most baggage issues are resolved within 12 hours, and almost all within 24. You have plenty of time. Still take precautions by having your most important things with you (ID, money, meds, etc.) but don't sweat the bag issue.

I will caveat that, however, saying that my only bad baggage experience was a bag from LA to MIA getting lost and finding its way back to me 3 months later. :D Seems from Miami it headed to the caribbean then south america, and had a heck of a time finding its way back home. :D I take about 60 flights per year, so one bad bag experience in about 1000 flights isn't too bad

It would be helpful if OP can share which airlines they are using and connecting cities, etc. - more of more carriers are using smaller a/k/a regional jets for short to medium haul flights, which meant that even MLC bags are often gate-checked & won't fit into smallish overhead bins.

As others said, once it's gate checked & you are given a claim check, there is a good chance that your bag will be transfered to the final destination and come out of the arrival carousal inside the terminal, and not at the jetway or on the tarmac.

If you are flying thru popular hubs and the carriers have multiple flights to/from the airports involved, any delayed or mis-routed bags are usually tracked down & delivered within 6 to 12 hours, at the carrier's expenses via their contract courier/luggage delivery services.

Checkout flyertalk dot com's website as there are expert FT's with additional insights - please keep in mind tens of thousands of cruisers are flying daily and your situational needs are the same as everyone else, and when it comes to lost or delayed luggage, "elite" flyer status doesn't mean anything.

Pack less, travel light & take it onboard if you can, and buy more when absolutely needed at the destination - it isn' worth the anxiety & aggravation. :rolleyes:

Hi-just a got a call from Air Canada. Our itinerary was changed so we only have one layover now and bonus... we were upgraded to first class, so we have complimentary checked baggage. The layover is a few hours long, so any checked baggage should be able to find its way to our 2nd flight. So that worry is alleviated for me now! 6 more sleeps!!

My wife and I have "purposefully" had our bag gate-checked many, many times. We only do this when we have a connecting flight so we do not have to lug it around a connecting airport. There is no way to guarantee it, but it works for us about 80% of the time.

We usually wait until the last minute before boarding the plane. The vast majority of the time, the plane is full, and they ask us to bag check it. Whenever this happens (which again, is often), it is always waiting for us in the jetway when we get off. We have never had to claim it at baggage claim. Maybe the airline matters? In our case, we almost always fly Delta.

Archived