Star SJ Family Suite 12030

ks

Just booked Cabin 12030 for a 12 night Cruise to Norway and Iceland next September and am now concerned about it's location. It looks to be under the jogging track on Deck 13 and may be on a busy hallway that leads to the pool area and buffet as well as meeting rooms and library. The cabin has 495 Sq. feet and the windows allow viewing both Sarboard as well as forward. I am really torn about whether or not to switch to a quieter SJ and give up the larger room and better view? Can anyone who has actually stayed in this cabin either ease my mind or tell me to switch cabins?

Just booked Cabin 12030 for a 12 night Cruise to Norway and Iceland next September and am now concerned about it's location. It looks to be under the jogging track on Deck 13 and may be on a busy hallway that leads to the pool area and buffet as well as meeting rooms and library. The cabin has 495 Sq. feet and the windows allow viewing both Sarboard as well as forward. I am really torn about whether or not to switch to a quieter SJ and give up the larger room and better view? Can anyone who has actually stayed in this cabin either ease my mind or tell me to switch cabins?

I wouldn't even consider leaving that room....there won't be any anoying noises....and it is not under the jogging track..... you will not be disapointed.....we stayed on deck 12 in the DOS 12002 last April and had considerd the room you have for the view...we got such a good deal on the DOS we couldn't pass it up...other than that we would have kept it.....hope this helps.....

I was in 12030 on Star in March in the Caribbean.

it is indeed under the jogging track. We had lots of active young people on our cruise (some college were on spring break), so we did have joggers overhead during the hours the track is open. we could hear them, but since it was during the day it did not bother me much. If you like naps or have kids who nap, it may bother you more. no joggers were heard outside posted hours.

The library did not generate traffic, but there was traffic heading between the forward stairway/elevator lobby and the pool. some of those were loud...remember college spring breakers on our cruise. longer cruises and cooler destinations, like yours, tend to draw an older crowd...often more polite, probably fewer joggers, probably less pool traffic.

the forward and side views from those windows were wonderful...certainly the best thing about that specific cabin. I would likely select the cabin again for that reason, especially on a long cool weather cruise. On the other hand, a noise sensitive person should not take this cabin.

For what it is worth, the room is big, but it is NOT as big as it appears on the deck plan. there is a jog in the hallway that does not appear on the deck plans (none that I have seen anyway. Cabin 12030 is offset at the hallway wall about three feet vs cabin 12028. So, the cabin is about 3 feet shorter than it appears on the deck plans...the forward wall of 12030 is shorter than the aft wall of 12028, if that is clear. the forward wall of 12030 does not have a Murphy bed, as other SJ do, because the wall is too short to hold one. On the other hand the aft wall of 12030 is longer, so more space by the sofa.

I hope that helps. if my answer is unclear of if you have questions, ask away.

it is indeed under the jogging track. We had lots of active young people on our cruise (some college were on spring break), so we did have joggers overhead during the hours the track is open. we could hear them, but since it was during the day it did not bother me much. If you like naps or have kids who nap, it may bother you more. no joggers were heard outside posted hours.

The library did not generate traffic, but there was traffic heading between the forward stairway/elevator lobby and the pool. some of those were loud...remember college spring breakers on our cruise. longer cruises and cooler destinations, like yours, tend to draw an older crowd...often more polite, probably fewer joggers, probably less pool traffic.

the forward and side views from those windows were wonderful...certainly the best thing about that specific cabin. I would likely select the cabin again for that reason, especially on a long cool weather cruise. On the other hand, a noise sensitive person should not take this cabin.

For what it is worth, the room is big, but it is NOT as big as it appears on the deck plan. there is a jog in the hallway that does not appear on the deck plans (none that I have seen anyway. Cabin 12030 is offset at the hallway wall about three feet vs cabin 12028. So, the cabin is about 3 feet shorter than it appears on the deck plans...the forward wall of 12030 is shorter than the aft wall of 12028, if that is clear. the forward wall of 12030 does not have a Murphy bed, as other SJ do, because the wall is too short to hold one. On the other hand the aft wall of 12030 is longer, so more space by the sofa.

I stand corrected...:o....after going back through my pictures I did discover the jogging track on the Star does go way forward under the tiers leading up from the pool deck to the Bier Garten...most of the other ships the jogging track goes by the front of the Star Bar then back to the stern of the ship....

We are in an SJ about 4 doors away past the elevators on this cruise. We wanted the murphy bed as a back up if the beds are uncomfortable or don't separate. Like the other poster, I doubt there will be much activity on the jogging track. Pictures from those on the current Iceland cruise (on the Sun) look all bundled up. I think it is pretty cool - weather wise.

We do have a roll call going. Come over and check it out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1531621.

I notice it's a handicapped cabin. Does it have a bathtub as verus a larger walk-in shower?

It has only the shower.

We stayed in SJ 12016 - forward oof the elevators - lovely views 180* - forward, centre, rear.

Best to get a SJ cabin forward of 12028/12528.

P.S. the cabin you booked 12030 is a handicapped one.

Wait, backup...12030 on the Star is not, I repeat NOT, a handicapped cabin. 12032 (next door) is larger and is a wheelchair accessible cabin, but 12030 is not designed for a WC. I was in that room and remember it like it was yesterday. I am very sure it is not HC.

If I recall correctly there were some very old erroneous deck plans that marked it as HC, so maybe Bluesea here is looking at an old, incorrect deck plan.

12030 has a very nice bathroom with double sinks, tub and a separate shower. The doors and hall are normal widths. There are no emergency pull cords. It has no WC accessible features.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my questions on this cabin. After carefully digesting all the input we are leaning toward sticking with this room. Thanks especially to Starry Eyes who has actually stayed in the room and has posted several times. We are thinking that it will be too cold for the pool and that our fellow cruisers will be a quieter crowd than usually found on a Carribbean Itinerary. If the joggers stick to the posted hours it will not be a problem for us.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my questions on this cabin. After carefully digesting all the input we are leaning toward sticking with this room. Thanks especially to Starry Eyes who has actually stayed in the room and has posted several times. We are thinking that it will be too cold for the pool and that our fellow cruisers will be a quieter crowd than usually found on a Carribbean Itinerary. If the joggers stick to the posted hours it will not be a problem for us.

i do think your cruise will be quieter than mine (actually, most would be). If you are not super sensitive to noise and do not need the Murphy bed, you are making a good choice with 12030. The view is delightful. We loved sitting along that angled window.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked 12506 and was curious if the jogging track goes by that as well? I would not think so as it is directly next to the largest suites which I think have the front window views? Anyone with information on this suite, I'd love to hear it. I will have a 3 year old who may or may not still be napping then (he still naps now). The pictures online show the room with a tub and shower (which I liked because of the 3 year old), can this be confirmed?? I was happy the room is up front and not as close to the elevators as I feared hallway traffic noise (traveling with kids mean they will likely be in bed at a decent time and I wouldn't want hallway traffic waking them, especially if it is drunk/loud traffic ;))

If I can recall correctly.....I had 12522 and it was just past the cutoff of the jogging track. Near the elevator, but No noise from that. Very quiet hallway. Nice library there. Conferene rooms were not used so no problems there. I slept on the murphy bed and I thought it was just right. If you have good roommates you should have no problem. Only drawback is if you use the murphy bed then the table and chairs will end up between the main bed and the coffee/tv area. Gets a tad bit cramped walking around. I would not hesitate to have another of these rooms with most others in my family or close friends.

Have fun.

Archived