Bumped from 4J Handicapped?

mapsmith

Just a question that maybe someone has experience with that can answer from real life.

If I were to book a 4J Handicapped (actually 4 available right now for early 2013) and I am not handicapped. I know that a handicapped can bump me from the cabin.

Where do you get bumped to? if there are no other 4J. Do you get an inside 4H or do you jump to a 6A?

When I booked a cabin for me and Mom's upcoming Dec. cruise, I requested a handicapped unit. I had to complete and return a form attesting to Mom's need for the handicap accessible cabin and what the medical justification was. They don't just hand out these specially equipped cabins all willy-nilly.:eek: If someone's condition warrants that, they need it more than you....be prepared to be moved to another equal or better cabin category. Having said all this, please DON'T consider falsefying documents just for your convenience or hoping to get bumped to an upgrade.

When I booked a cabin for me and Mom's upcoming Dec. cruise, I requested a handicapped unit. I had to complete and return a form attesting to Mom's need for the handicap accessible cabin and what the medical justification was. They don't just hand out these specially equipped cabins all willy-nilly.:eek: If someone's condition warrants that, they need it more than you....be prepared to be moved to another equal or better cabin category. Having said all this, please DON'T consider falsefying documents just for your convenience or hoping to get bumped to an upgrade.

Others have posted that you DO NOT need to fill out a form. I'm thinking you will be asked to fill one out only if you DO NOT want to be moved. No one has mentioned falsifying anything.

The OP is aware they could be moved.

not all agents will tell people that they are booking a hc cabin and not all agents will make sure the paperwork is filled.

I have booked a HC cabin twice now-- and both times I was never asked to fill out the paperwork-- but I requested that it be done

A couple of years ago, the lovely Mrs. and I were upgraded INTO a handicapped cabin. Frankly, we didn't even notice it was a handicapped cabin, until we walked through the door. I'm sure that had they needed that cabin, we'd have been moved again, but as it was, we enjoyed the extra space in the cabin, and especially in the bathroom. (The lovely Mrs. was a little bit "spooked" at first, because of the cabin, but quickly came to realize that it was just another cabin.) I don't think I'd ever intentionally book a HC cabin, but I can certainly see why someone might consider doing just that, with the understanding that they might get moved, if the cabin was needed.)

"SKY"

That is precisely why I asked. The 4J's are available for booking on several online travel sites. Because I am on CC, I KNOW they are handicapped. But they are also available to be booked as any 4J. But they have about 35-50 square feet more of room. So it is a larger cabin with a minimal step into the Bathroom.

I have read many threads about the non-handicapped being able to book these rooms. I of course would gladly give it up for qualified people.

Just thinking the extra space would be nice.

Usually. much of the extra space is in the bathroom so a wheelchair has room to turn.

Pretty harsh...if they don't need it for a HC person, then why shouldn't he have it?

The problem with your analogy is that the person taking the HC parking spot if never around to move his car when it is needed. The person taking the HC room can easily be called and bumped by Carnival.

Your argument is bogus.

There are 2 issues with your statements.

1) Yes, an ablebodied person should be able to book an HC cabin if it is not needed, but it should only be done close to sailing or if all other cabins are filled. It appears as if it is 3+ months before the poster sails. There are very limited numbers of HC cabins so his/her booking it may mean that someone who needs an HC cabin may not be able to go.

2) The statement that you may be moved if an HC person needs the cabin is not always accurate. Once a cabin is out of inventory, it takes effort to determine if the person booking it needs it or not. It is easier to say that there are no HC cabins available.

The bottom line is that by booking this cabin for a little extra space may result in someone who needs it not being able to cruise.

That is precisely why I asked. The 4J's are available for booking on several online travel sites. Because I am on CC, I KNOW they are handicapped. But they are also available to be booked as any 4J. But they have about 35-50 square feet more of room. So it is a larger cabin with a minimal step into the Bathroom.

I have read many threads about the non-handicapped being able to book these rooms. I of course would gladly give it up for qualified people.

Just thinking the extra space would be nice.

It was VERY nice..especially compared to our other cruises on RCCL. Those cabins are tiny!!

We called to upgrade from a extended balcony to a grande suite. It was not until we recieved the confirmation email stating the room was for wheelchair users that we were aware of it. It was the last grande suite available but they did not disclose this when we called to upgrade.

DH uses a walker but does not really need a wheel chair accessable cabin. We would never have booked it had we known before the transaction. We just hope no one needs it at the last moment because the only cabin showing available at this point is a inside cabin. Our ship is sailing full.

It is my understanding if someone is bumped from a HC cabin, they will be moved to cabin of equal or greater value. On our ship there is none available unless they hold a couple and don't advertise them just in case this happens.

Some posters need to get off their soap box. Most don't "play the system." Carnival sells these cabins sometimes without disclosing the type. I know this because this is exactly what happened to us. Had we known, we would have stayed put in our extended balcony cabin. We would never take a HC cabin away from someone who needs it intentionally.

I would guess that if a HC person called up very last minute and tried to book on an almost full cruise, they would not bump someone if they didn't have the place to put them. While people needing HC should not have to book 2 years in advance, expecting HC cabins to be left open until the last minute is not realistic either.

I thought when looking around Carnivals booking system that they had removed some of the HC cabins from the general inventory. There are also many people that could use a modified cabin for medical reasons, but are not in a wheelchair. While they could be bumped I suppose, I hope they would bump those without any needs first.

Archived