Bumped from 4J Handicapped?

mapsmith

Just a question that maybe someone has experience with that can answer from real life.

If I were to book a 4J Handicapped (actually 4 available right now for early 2013) and I am not handicapped. I know that a handicapped can bump me from the cabin.

Where do you get bumped to? if there are no other 4J. Do you get an inside 4H or do you jump to a 6A?

Just a question that maybe someone has experience with that can answer from real life.

If I were to book a 4J Handicapped (actually 4 available right now for early 2013) and I am not handicapped. I know that a handicapped can bump me from the cabin.

Where do you get bumped to? if there are no other 4J. Do you get an inside 4H or do you jump to a 6A?

I would hope they would bump you to an equal or better category.

you could get another 4 j

or you get upgraded to a 6 a/b oceanview.

--

we bumped people out of a 6B empress deck when the forward cabins were oceanviews.

the person was bumped down to the main deck-- how do i know this-- because he never checked before he checked his luggage and it was delivered to our room.

I would hope they would bump you off the ship, why would someone with out a Handicap book a Handicapped. Its the same thing as someone saying I will park in a handicapped parking spot, but I will move if I have to.

The answer is people who park in handicapped parking spots when they do not qualify for them are scum..People who book handicapped cabins when they are not handicapped are__________________________.

I would hope they would bump you off the ship, why would someone with out a Handicap book a Handicapped. Its the same thing as someone saying I will park in a handicapped parking spot, but I will move if I have to.

The answer is people who park in handicapped parking spots when they do not qualify for them are scum..People who book handicapped cabins when they are not handicapped are__________________________.

Your attitude made me think...

DW and I were out this weekend and a vehicle with a proper placard pulled in front of a store. Instead of pulling into a single handicapped spot(with a wide area lined off between it and the next HC spot). They pulled up and blocked BOTH a HC spot and a regular spot. The regular spot was on the drivers side NOT the passengers side. This was an SUV also not a Van with a ramp etc. In my opinon that was totally rude and uncalled for. NOW, who is __________________.

To the OP.

Although technically going to a 6A is a upgrade. Personally that would be a downgrade simply due to location on the ship.;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1709846&highlight=they+will+move+you+hc

Yes they will move you here is a thread where someone booked for a cruise 2 weeks from now.

The non HC person got bumped.

OP .. If there are 4 other 4J's why not book one of those instead of the HC one?:confused:

You're dead wrong on this... There are some cruises that will sail without using all the handicapped rooms... should these rooms stay empty the entire cruise?? Absolutely not!!

When able bodied people book handicapped rooms, they are gambling on the chance that the room will not be needed and that they will get a "roomier" room. However, they know that if the cabin is needed, they will be bumped. This is a far cry for the scum that park in spots reserved for the handicapped. They do so knowing if they are taking the spot from someone who might have the right to it. The people who book handicapped rooms know that, at the point of booking, no one needed it, but someone might need it before they sail.

I speak from experience on the "handicapped" side of the argument. My dad was an above the knee amputee. He was never denied a cabin on any cruise line because an able bodied person was using a handicapped cabin.

I don't understand how you can book it. When we book and we both are handicapped, Carnival sends us a form to fill out each cruise. We have to state our handicaps and needs for the cabin. Do they send you the form?

When I booked, it was through Expedia and it never showed up as a handicapped cabin-throughout the booking. I didn't know it was until I came on CC and there was a thread about the handicapped cabins. So I called Carnival because I didn't want to take one if someone else needed it. That is when she told me that it was fine, if they needed the cabin they would move me.

Sounds like a good way to scam the system.

Book an HC room even though you don't need it, and then get a free upgrade when you get bumped out.

What a country!! :D

Actually I'm being very sarcastic.

If someone knowingly books an HC room and they don't need it, then a bump comes along,,, they should be downgraded with no refund. But, hey,,, thats just me.

Not all 4J's are handicapped.....pick one that isnt.:)

Yes - this!! This discussion has come up many times over the years. Supposedly, the hc cabins were "removed" from general booking inventory, and then "released" around a month before sailing. Yes, they should/will at that time sell the cabin to someone not hc - the ship never sails empty!! However, out of courtesy for those who need one (and maybe at the last minute) they shouldn't let those cabins be booked by the "healthy" public. JMHO.

When I booked, it was through Expedia and it never showed up as a handicapped cabin-throughout the booking. I didn't know it was until I came on CC and there was a thread about the handicapped cabins. So I called Carnival because I didn't want to take one if someone else needed it. That is when she told me that it was fine, if they needed the cabin they would move me.

That is precisely why I asked. The 4J's are available for booking on several online travel sites. Because I am on CC, I KNOW they are handicapped. But they are also available to be booked as any 4J. But they have about 35-50 square feet more of room. So it is a larger cabin with a minimal step into the Bathroom.

I have read many threads about the non-handicapped being able to book these rooms. I of course would gladly give it up for qualified people.

Just thinking the extra space would be nice.

the main reason why abled bodied people book these cabins.

The HC person needs the space in order to move around.

THe cruiselines make the rooms available because it is against the law to ask the person if they are indeed handicapped.

and most times you will not be moved. THe representative is too lazy to do the work

So it is a larger cabin with a minimal step into the Bathroom.

I say don't worry about it. You got a bigger room at a smaller room price. You know if someone comes along who needs this room YOU WILL BE MOVED. People are saying if you get moved it will be an upgrade.

I've considered doing this, for the extra space and shower. Come back to CC when the cruise is over....... you'll be the expert and can answer other's questions:).

You people amaze me!!!!! Yes, you do have to fill out paperwork if you are indeed HC and DON'T want to get bumped. However, if you are booked into one and are NOT HC you may get booked. It is not morally wrong in any way. It is the cruise lines discression to book or not book. I was booked into one by MGM pvp and I didn't even realize it was HC. I called him back and he explained that anyone can and may book these but you could get bumped if someone needs it. The carnival personnel can book these rooms as well as the general public. They are not going to sail with theses rooms empty.

Pretty harsh...if they don't need it for a HC person, then why shouldn't he have it?

The problem with your analogy is that the person taking the HC parking spot if never around to move his car when it is needed. The person taking the HC room can easily be called and bumped by Carnival.

Your argument is bogus.

Archived