Juneau photo safari vs Harv and marv...

Ashfry

We are a group of seven going on a cruise age range from 4-60 years old. My father is a photographer so wanted to take this tour because it specifically said photo safari.

Question is I have heard such good reviews about Harv and marv and we can have the boat to ourselves....kind of torn on which is better. I am going to have a hard time convincing my dad that Harv and marv is better for photography

To me it seems like the difference would be less people with Harv and marv, no professional photo advice on harve and marv and no tour guide at the glacier with Harv and marv.....is it worth it to have the photography guide?

Plus harve and marv is significantly cheaper:)

We did Harv and Marvs in September and recommend it. We had a great captain and experienced a non often happening of bubble netting with about 12 humpbacks. Our captain was phenomenal! My husband has some of the greatest shots! He did the "big" camera I did the little and the video on it.

You will enjoy whichever you do....the scenes from the water are that water and wildlife like the sea lion eating the fish....the eagles sitting on the island....and seals "sunning" and such...of course the whales which are 80,000 apiece were awesome...they just can't guarantee that part.

Lou

Frankly, the photo safari, probably isn't for any "photographers" who have extended knowledge. This tour takes in all levels and the "need" is going to be for the less skilled perhaps.

All of Alaska is a photo safari, you really don't need anyone telling you, "take a photo of that, it's a great opportunity". It is everywhere, and if you truely want an extensive photo experience, then put the effort into finding locations, of YOUR interest for what you wish to photograph. :)

As frugal said, request Jay as your captain. Or if he isn't available that day, ask for his daughter, Jayleen, both are accomplished published photographers, and they will certainly assist in any way they can to make your Dad's very own photo safari! Enjoy! H&M are a wonderful choice for whale watching in Juneau.

As frugal said, request Jay as your captain. Or if he isn't available that day, ask for his daughter, Jayleen, both are accomplished published photographers, and they will certainly assist in any way they can to make your Dad's very own photo safari! Enjoy! H&M are a wonderful choice for whale watching in Juneau.

I second that - we went with both Jay (one of more rare appearances on a shorter evening tour) and Jayleen in July and had a great time for both. If you check out the latest edition of Alaska's Watchable Whales by Mark Kelley, you will see a lot of the photos in the book are from Jay and Jayleen. They are both Canon shooters (like me), but they'll let Nikons and other brands on the boat;). With a large enough group to have the boat to yourself, the next part id just asking Callie is it's possible to book with either of them. It worked for us!

L.J.

We took the Photo Safari and it is the best excusion we had among the 3 ports, partly because nature's uncontrolable factors:

1. The weather cooperated and that day is the among the top 3 weather of the entire cruise season in the Juneau..clear and sunny.

2. We got really close to 3 black bears (when they went under the shallow bridge we are standing) after initially displacing us from the mendenhall glacier

3. At the end of our boat tour, 3 humpback whales surfaced very close to at th back of our ship where we are standing with our cameras ready..too close that I initally feared they would bump our ship. Got real close pictures of one of the whale

Alaska, being so unpredictable, is more on luck and timing, being in the right place at the right time, rather than what company you take.

Take the whale watching, any serious photographer will thoroughly enjoy the time out on the water and shooting the whales.

Photosafari is IMHO just a catchy name genric excursion, unless you are going on a real safari I'm skeptical of these things.

We did the Photo Safari tour and I agree with what others have said that if you have any experience taking photos and know your way around your camera, you will not get much out of the photo info that you do not already know. The info the guide shared about cameras was very, very basic. Fine if you have never taken your dSLR off auto mode. Being on the water and being able to shoot the whales as well as all the eagles was photo paradise for me. Well, all of Alaska was a photo paradise.

Tim

Archived