Colds and Flu

Brisbanelionsfan

My husband and I have been on many big ship cruises and would like to take a river cruise next year for 15 days. Just about all the JBR's I have read have a lot to say about people who bring bugs onto the ship and then most of the passengers come down with a bad cold or the flu. Last year my sister in law came back from a cruise with a terrible flu that ruined her cruise, it took weeks for her to get well. Am I overreacting? Do the cruise lines (Im thinking of Scenic) insist on hand sanitizer before entering the dining room? Are people told to stay in their cabins? Is it worse on the smaller river ships?

We love to cruise and want to go and see some sights of Europe on a ship at a leasurely pace.

Cheers:)

My husband and I have been on many big ship cruises and would like to take a river cruise next year for 15 days. Just about all the JBR's I have read have a lot to say about people who bring bugs onto the ship and then most of the passengers come down with a bad cold or the flu. Last year my sister in law came back from a cruise with a terrible flu that ruined her cruise, it took weeks for her to get well. Am I overreacting? Do the cruise lines (Im thinking of Scenic) insist on hand sanitizer before entering the dining room? Are people told to stay in their cabins? Is it worse on the smaller river ships?

We love to cruise and want to go and see some sights of Europe on a ship at a leasurely pace.

Cheers:)

What is a JBR ?

Thanks

IMHO yes, they do everything possible, sadly it does not stop selfish or unthinking people who will not use the hand cleanser religiously as requested. On top of this I never touch food to my mouth with my fingers on my travels, and carry alcohol based hand disinfectant also. If people are coughing and sneezing over the silverware and glasses, I request a new drink (as in, oh, I think I'll try a....... rather than continue to drink from glasses sneezed over.

I now have some immune system issues so my next 4 trips I guess I'll be obsessive compulsive :(.

I will say, that my experience is over 4 lines, and they all, including Scenic do their best - clientele are the problem!

Brisbanelionsfan,

Sorry to say, but do you really believe that hand sanitizers do kill the germs?? They are totally worthless especially reagarding Noro.

Unfortunaltely germs and viruses spread whereever people are crowded together. And it´s mainly the behavior of the passengers which helps to spread the germs. People not washing their hands frequently, people sneezing on food items, people not using tongs but grabbing stuff from a buffet and even putting it back again...

BTW we´re expecting a pretty bad flu season this winter... and make an educated guess where those flu viruses are coming from: Australia! But that´s just because you get them first (during your winter) and then they are spreading to the rest of the world which is turning from summer to winter.

The only thing you can do is take your own precautions: Wash your hands frequently (washing and especially rubbing the hands is getting more germs and viruses off than any hand saniziter can do)! Try not to use the public bathrooms. Keep your hands off any kind of handrails if possible. Do not touch any elevator buttons (o.k., not much need of an elevator on a river cruise ship) but try to push the button with your elbow.

steamboats

Purell (hand sanitizer) really doesn't stop illnesses like norovirus. By placing purell at the buffets - it often gives people a false sense of safety and often people don't wash their hands and use this instead which then causes more problems.

Wash hands often, do not shake hands, stay away from folks who appear ill or are caughing a lot . Do not touch railings, door knobs and elevator buttons.

Since your hands pick up the germs everywhere do NOT touch you face, nose or mouth......

Wash your hands can't say that often enough!!! I carry "Clorox" type wipes with me to wipe suspect areas in the cabin, knobs, handles, remote controls, bedside table...

Yep I have turned into on of those crazy ladies but it sure beats staying home and worrying about germs and not seeing the world!!!

Happy adventures!

Interesting topic. I checked CDC's site for info on hand sanitizers and the thought is that the hand sanitizers testing has revealed mixed results, with 70% ethanol being most effective against surrogate viruses and could therefore conceivably be effective against the norwalk like virus. Seems handwashing is best. Also, simple bleach solutions are effective for environmental disinfection, but the article I found does link you to EPA's list of disinfecting agents approved for killing norwalk. Like I tell my patients, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands!

Wash hands often, do not shake hands, stay away from folks who appear ill or are caughing a lot . Do not touch railings, door knobs and elevator buttons.

Since your hands pick up the germs everywhere do NOT touch you face, nose or mouth......

Wash your hands can't say that often enough!!! I carry "Clorox" type wipes with me to wipe suspect areas in the cabin, knobs, handles, remote controls, bedside table...

Yep I have turned into on of those crazy ladies but it sure beats staying home and worrying about germs and not seeing the world!!!

Happy adventures!

No, you have not turned into a crazy lady at all...as I do the very same thing. So far, so good. I go down the steps w/o touching the rails- they are the worst. Don't forget the bathroom handles!..and how about the telephone? As soon as I go into the cabin, I wipe both of those, plus the remote control and anything else in sight. I can now say I have a OCD when it comes to cruising. Oh yeah...I do not shake anyone's hand either!...so Nana541..you got company....:eek:...lol

No, you have not turned into a crazy lady at all...as I do the very same thing. So far, so good. I go down the steps w/o touching the rails- they are the worst. Don't forget the bathroom handles!..and how about the telephone? As soon as I go into the cabin, I wipe both of those, plus the remote control and anything else in sight. I can now say I have a OCD when it comes to cruising. Oh yeah...I do not shake anyone's hand either!...so Nana541..you got company....:eek:...lol

Oh good that's a relief .... There are at least two crazy ladies with ziplock bags an Clorox wipes in her carry on bag!! Crazy likes company :)

Oh good that's a relief .... There are at least two crazy ladies with ziplock bags an Clorox wipes in her carry on bag!! Crazy likes company :)

No no, one of three - except mine are an Australian Brand :) And yes, I get really got balance practice avoiding hand rails when travel!

Crazy or not, I do all of these things. Just got my package of disinfectant wipes yesterday for my upcoming cruise. The one thing I can't seem to do gracefully is refuse to shake hands. Your first night at dinner when everyone is introducing themselves and they stick out their hand, what do you do/say, not to appear unfriendly or crazy? That's the worst time for me, as my hands are clean to eat and then if I shake, I have to go wash again. My mother had rheumatoid arthritis and her hands were so painful and she always had to tell people "sorry, but I can't shake hands." How do you handle this?

I spent many years in the South. We were taught never to put your hand out to a lady unless she put her hand out to shake hands first. However, we were also taught, if someone didn't know this rule to just smile at them and say, "How very nice to meet you."...........I've tried it and it seems to work.

I spent many years in the South. We were taught never to put your hand out to a lady unless she put her hand out to shake hands first. However, we were also taught, if someone didn't know this rule to just smile at them and say, "How very nice to meet you."...........I've tried it and it seems to work.

i agree, for a woman, it is fairly easy to avoid hand shaking. i have been known to sneak away and re-wash hands if needed.

Then again "drinking" does add a medicinal quality to the evenings events :)

Archived