Would you 'upgrade' from an MA to SJ on Dawn?

bob brown

Hmmmm.....My travel agent assured me that I would receive the extra points, but I just read the fine print on the Latitudes page, and I see where they say that suite must be booked on original reservation.

That would be a disappointment, for sure. Since the fare I paid, is the same as what the SJ is selling for now, perhaps that will help my case. I'll let my TA battle it out with them if they don't give it to me. Will have to wait and see.....

Either way you should love your cruise.

Hmmmm.....My travel agent assured me that I would receive the extra points, but I just read the fine print on the Latitudes page, and I see where they say that suite must be booked on original reservation.

That would be a disappointment, for sure. Since the fare I paid, is the same as what the SJ is selling for now, perhaps that will help my case. I'll let my TA battle it out with them if they don't give it to me. Will have to wait and see.....

I think you will get the points. Upsells do not. If you got a new confirmation from NCl if it says MA- SJ you will not. If it says just SJ you will

Even if you were a balcony person, having not done a suite before makes this no cost upgrade a no brainer way to try them out and then you will know yourself if they are worth the money in the future.

If it gets you platinum a nice bonus.

Looks like other Minis have moved now 2 SJ left was 10 a few dys back.

keep an eye on the 7 other suites SE(2),SF(3),SD(2) they are currently priced to give the SJ a free move, if they don't move(I think those that want to have done so allready or the SF moved to SD) there is a small chance they may drop them. (watch the deck 8 SF above the new spinnaker)

last resort if nothing much changes over the next couple of weeks will be the upsell fairy shuffle.

Isn't it wonderful that we can embrace our different perspectives.

Doesn't make either answer right or wrong. Because what's right for me might not be for you or others... Or vice versa.

I will say I have cruised in a balcony (no perks) and in a suite (with perks, albeit with a balcony). And my choice is still perks over balcony.

But how many on here who say balcony over perks have never cruised in a suite so can't really say which scenario is better, because they can't draw from personal experience... Only guessing.

I don't have to sail in a suite to know it isn't for us, I have looked at the perks for a suite versus the increase in price and don't see the value in it. The things you get just aren't things that are important to us. We also have never eaten in a specialty restaurant because we never felt the need to spend the extra money. On our last Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity Solstice which was very port intensive we ate mostly from the buffet (which was excellent), sitting in the outside dining area, listening to a trio play and watching the sun set even though we were in Aquaclass and could have dined in Blu every night. When overnighting in Istanbul we ordered room service and ate on our balcony which had a view of the mosques and the river and listened to the Call to Prayer.

Even if the two cabins were the same price I wouldn't give up my balcony for that suite. I love the fresh air and the sound of the water that you wouldn't get from a wall of windows. I will pay more for an aft balcony if the right one is available as I love the sight and sound of the wake.

Everyone has things that make cruising special for them and enjoy it in their own ways. :)

Edited by Mysticks1
spelling correction

• 3 years later...
We have a nice midship minisuite on the Dawn 26 Oct. repo cruise. Due to the big price drop, they offered us an 'upgrade' to an SJ suite. It has no balcony, and is far forward.

Would you take that offer, or keep the midship mini with balcony, and why?

Would appreciate good feedback.......

Take the SJ. Just got off the Star and we had SJ Suites. Absolutely the best cabin location on the ship. Literally steps from the pool deck, one flight up to Beir Garten, same floor as the buffet, and one deck up to the best dining venues. Missed our balcony a little, but wall to wall, ceiling to floor window was pretty cool as well.

Not sure how this thread got bumped, but anyway....

We had reserved the SJ for the 6 of us on this Thanksgiving's sailing ages ago on the Star, and got an awesome price ($5300 for 6 + UBP UDP $100 OBC and free gratuities for first 2 adults). That is very affordable compared to many other family vacations for 6 over a holiday week - and nearly as much as we would spend on just 2 hotel rooms for the week.

As you all know Star was canceled and we were moved to a 2 bedroom on the Jade. I'm definitely not going to turn down the 2 bedroom but a wall of windows gives a very pretty sight too - especially for families who have littles they worry about being on the balcony. Had we booked the 2 bedroom suite straight out it would have been $8K.

So yes I'd definitely pick and even book an SJ.

I wish to thank all of those who contributed their feelings on this move. After careful consideration, and weighing of the pros and cons, I decided to take them up on the free upgrade.

Looking forward to my first experience in a suite....

One other bonus....the double credits I will earn on this cruise will push me over into the Platinum status for our next cruise....:)

Good for you for upgrading.

But you are not going to earn double credits on the suite since it was a free upgrade.

We have a nice midship minisuite on the Dawn 26 Oct. repo cruise. Due to the big price drop, they offered us an 'upgrade' to an SJ suite. It has no balcony, and is far forward.

Would you take that offer, or keep the midship mini with balcony, and why?

Would appreciate good feedback.......

Do you mean Oct 28 repo? the SJ was sold out over a year prior so there must have been a cancellation. Go for it and join our roll call. I am looking forward to my first SJ

Do you mean Oct 28 repo? the SJ was sold out over a year prior so there must have been a cancellation. Go for it and join our roll call. I am looking forward to my first SJ

No, I realized after I posted that this was a thread from 2012! Apologies to all for the ressurction.:o

Our cruise is kind of sold out.