visa when on a cruise - what territory are you in?

InGearX

I have been in Europe Schengen Zone for 60+ days so I have a limited number of days left and want to plan accordingly and I still needed to go do a few things in Schengen Zone after the cruise... (as the limit is 90 days in 180 days period)

I am going on a MS Noordam from Holland America Line

a 10-Night Mediterranean going on Oct 5th from Rome round trip

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=E&voyageCode=N250

#1 If joining in Rome - nothing is done to the passport visas?

#2 I will remain in the Schengen Zone visa zone for the duration of the cruise?

because of this I am planing to join later from Croatia - when joining the cruise ... #3 will I get stamped out of Croatia and would I get a UE visa stamp?

joining MS Noordam it be equivalent of entering the Schengen Zone visa (being that the ship is registered in (property/territory of) Netherlands ?

any information / tips / tricks are much appreciated...

thank you...

The ship's country of registration isn't relevant for this purpose. You have to abide by the passport and visa requirements of the countries where you embark, disembark, and the ports of call, not the requirements of the ship's country of registry. You're not in the Schengen zone just because your ship is registered in a Schengen country any more than you have to abide by Panamanian or Bahamian passport/visa requirements if you were to take the same cruise on a ship registered in Panama or the Bahamas.

Have you asked Holland America if you're permitted to board the cruise in Croatia?

The ship's country of registration isn't relevant for this purpose. You have to abide by the passport and visa requirements of the countries where you embark, disembark, and the ports of call, not the requirements of the ship's country of registry. You're not in the Schengen zone just because your ship is registered in a Schengen country any more than you have to abide by Panamanian or Bahamian passport/visa requirements if you were to take the same cruise on a ship registered in Panama or the Bahamas.

Have you asked Holland America if you're permitted to board the cruise in Croatia?

hmmm so what territory am I in when on the cruise ship?

if I board in Italy - will they stamp out my Schengen Zone? who will do that?

I do not think they will do that...

since it's from Rome to Rome - they will insist that they just collect our passports and hold on to them - and my time in Schengen Zone will keep on ticking even thought I will be in Croatia and Turkey

and it will be up to me to convince boarder/migration officials that those days should not be used...

Hmmm BUT if I board from Croatia - what will happen? I do not think they will stamp my passport with Schengen Zone visa - only when I exit in Rome will they do that?

It isn't likely you can get an absolute answer here. This is a question only the appropriate authorities can answer IMO

It is important to you and the correct answer is very important.

Few if any of us can give you a totally reliable response.

I have to agree with the above poster. the answer(s) to this type of question is not one that I would rely on those posted on this board. You need to ask HAL. I'd do it via e-mail so you get whatever they say in writing.

Archived