Onboard accounts and such

stephanie13rown

Somebody might've already asked this, and heck, it might be clearly stated on Carnival's website...but I haven't found it yet, so I'm gonna ask all you fine folks! During online check-in, I selected to set up my onboard account using cash. I figured it would be easier for me to limit my spending that way. However, I read something about CCL putting a hold on your credit/debit card, and I was wondering A) if that hold was applicable to ALL guests or only those who set up their onboard account using a credit/debit card, and B) if it does apply to me, how much of a hold are we talking about?

Feel free to blast me if that question has been hashed and rehashed as much as the infamous liquor smuggling and MDR dress code debates. :D

Also, while we're at it, what are your thoughts on using cash vs. credit for the Sail & Sign card?

They can't put a "hold" on cash! So, give 'em cash! Or, you can give them a credit (not debit) card...to hold your account...and pay it off in cash on the last night. NOTHING is actually charged to any form of payment until the cruise is over.

We started doing only Cash Accounts 3 cruises ago. When DH and I board we put down $400. As we go thru the cruise if we should need to add more money we either put a credit card down or put more cash down. No problem. They will let you know when you need to add more. It is very easy to do.

We used a credit card on our first cruise, and have used only cash ever since. Every penny that was charged on the Sail and Sign card on the first cruise, they placed a hold on the credit card to cover the charges, then at the end of the cruise they charged the card one lump sum to cover off all the holds... the problem came when they did not release the holds for THREE WEEKS....I call the Credit card company, and they told me that they could not drop the charges (holds) without the "holder" (Carnival) telling them to do so....

Every cruise since that one, we only put down cash at the Guest Services desk when we board, and the nice part is that if you have OBC that's from ES rates, and its "big" enough, you don't even need to add any more if you don't want to... On our Inspiration Cruise out of Tampa we had over 200.00 in OBC from ES, and didn't put down any extra cash, and on the last night they slipped a cheque under our door to pay us back the "left overs"... I took that cheque to the Guest Services desk just before we disembarked, and cashed it, and took my money home with me.

Always use credit card for S&S and most purchases to get reward points. I never noticed a hold on my credit card that would cause me to reach my limit or have future purchases to be denied. If you don't use a credit card for points/mileage whatever and feel cash will keep your spending in check then go for it.

The holds are only on debit or credit accounts. We always prefer the credit and have never had a problem with the holds being on for more than a couple days. We earn cash back , and like the protection a credit card can offer against fraudulent charges on the account. Debit cards put a hold on your checking account funds which could pose more problems than holds on a credit card because you will not be able to access cash that is being "held".

I agree with everyone that says to just use Cash. We used Credit/debit cards first couple cruises. We spent way too much! So it was easier to put cash down then check it every so often and we knew what we should spend and not spend. Now if that isn't an option for you and great! Use a card and Charge away! But we get too carried away when we did that! LOL!

I always use cash. The first time I used a debit card, we wound up having a daily hold put on the account plus the charges from the end of the cruise. It is up to your bank on how long the hold will remain on the account. Since I always put down more cash then I will spend, the check at the end of the cruise makes me feel like they have paid me to cruise. If I were worried about points I might change my thinking but I like the idea of it all being taken care of from the start.

Archived